Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Flyboys" - book by James Bradley

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ladies and gents, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and recommend it to you all.

I'm sure plenty of you are familiar with Mr Bradley, the son of Navy Corspman John Bradley who was one of the men photographed raising the American flag on Mt Suribachi in the Battle of Iwo Jima. He wrote the book "Flags of Our Fathers" about Iwo Jima back in 2001. "Flyboys" (subtitled here in Australia "The last secret of the Pacific War"; in the U.S. I believe it is subtitled "A True Story of Courage") is about the fate of several American pilots who were captured and perished at the hands of their Japanese captors on the island of Chichi Jima.

My wife saw the book at the local library and borrowed it for me, and I couldn't put it down. As with "Flags of Our Fathers," Mr Bradley researched his book thoroughly and conducted interviews with both American and Japanese veterans, including former President George Bush Snr, who was shot down in the ocean near Chichi Jima. He provides a great history of the events that led up to Pearl Harbour and places the Pacific war in a vivid, global and cultural context.

One of the best books I've ever read.

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Benny Holiday said:
Ladies and gents, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and recommend it to you all.

I'm sure plenty of you are familiar with Mr Bradley, the son of Navy Corspman John Bradley who was one of the men photographed raising the American flag on Mt Suribachi in the Battle of Iwo Jima. He wrote the book "Flags of Our Fathers" about Iwo Jima back in 2001. "Flyboys" (subtitled here in Australia "The last secret of the Pacific War"; in the U.S. I believe it is subtitled "A True Story of Courage") is about the fate of several American pilots who were captured and perished at the hands of their Japanese captors on the island of Chichi Jima.

My wife saw the book at the local library and borrowed it for me, and I couldn't put it down. As with "Flags of Our Fathers," Mr Bradley researched his book thoroughly and conducted interviews with both American and Japanese veterans, including former President George Bush Snr, who was shot down in the ocean near Chichi Jima. He provides a great history of the events that led up to Pearl Harbour and places the Pacific war in a vivid, global and cultural context.

One of the best books I've ever read.

I read Flyboys and then Flags of Our Fathers...Two super books. I highly recommend them both. Didn't like either of the movies though, but that's to be expected. The books are always better.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran