Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying boots

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thinking of putting these babies to bed now, as Springtime *seems* to have kicked in!
DSCN7587.jpg

DSCN7591.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Jings, aye, Paddy... my little feet would have cooked this last week in those - I've been in co-respondents for the last fortnight. Sounds about right that it would be now the sun has reached that bit further north.

coalman

New in Town
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a pair of used replica 1936 pattern flying boots in size 9 or a pair of 1943 escape boots in size 9.
Back in the early 80's I used to be a collecter of RAf flying clothing and sold all of it in 1994, wish I had kept both Irvins and Boots now looking how hard it is to find good examples now at reasonable prices that everybody can afford.
Also looking for advice on best places in UK to obtain a replica WW2 RAF service dress uniform in chest 46/48 and 38 waist/29 leg trousers.

Reagrds to all

John

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Original, wearable 1936 pattern flying boots are becoming harder to find these days, and most repro boots are not completely accurate. Good luck in your search.

coalman

New in Town
Hi Andrew

Yes originals are becoming very hard to find..though some may say I have more chances of finding a pair of original boots than a 48 inch chest original Irvin.
But those original boots may not be wearable so this is why I am more looking for a replica pair of 1936 boots..not realy worried about a small detail of stiching as long as they both look and wear right at a reasonable price, whereas there are still some pairs of 1943 original boots which are still in very good wearable condition..just got to find a pair at right price as well as right size.:D

coalman

New in Town
Has anybody got a pair of the lewis leathers 1936 patern boots? Would like to hear any thoughts on them and if possible would like to see some photographs apart from the ones on the lewis leather site.

John

Windsock

A-List Customer
Hello everyone, new here. Question for Windsock and if you have heard back from RMW about the boot situation? Were they able to solve the fleece problem?

Yes, it's been a while so i've put some calls in today and hopefully i'll have some sort of response to post soon- fingers crossed.

Windsock

A-List Customer
With regard to the possible RMW 1936 pattern replicas the news is not good unfortunately. They confirmed to me today that due to several reasons that will not be proceeding with the project. They had commenced making a prototype but found that despite using the best equipment and skills they could not complete all the work needed themselves and had sought help from another well respected shoemaker here to do the linings. This Company has also confirmed they felt that due to the high costs involved it would not be a feasable endeavour. Other reasons mentioned were the difficulty in obtaining the correct and best materials. At first this does seem difficult to comprehend but these guys are expert bootmakers and we can only take their word.

Apologies to everyone who was keen and contacted me about it. Personally I was hoping but never expecting to see a completed prototype as it was just an idea I once had to ask RMW and I am lucky that they even spent the time considering it and doing some investigative work. For me this makes it more understandable why the likes of Eastman have not proceeded with another run of their repro boots.

I'd like to think that there might be another manufacturer here who might have the skills and equipment needed but I don't think there would be. RMW said that they didn't know of any other option and they also said that you would need to have specific machinery to complete all the stages, so at least from this end the case is unfortunately closed.

WalkingBoy

Familiar Face
Oh dear. Very disappointing news.. I am scratching my head though to understand how it is that in 2011 we could not re-create a boot made in the 1930's. Finding high quality materials, components and machinery is becoming a depressingly familiar problem in the leather crafts, so I can understand this issue. From my own experience it doesn't seem to be improving. Costs will continue to drive down production values, so i don't know where it's all going...
what about Ian Harold bootmakers in Melbourne? THey're pretty old school and they may have the necessary machinery/technical values? They're probably the last of the old guard...I know they still make the 3-buckle cavalry boot used in the First World War. or at least they have the patterns. My guess is that anyone interested in pursuing it better get in touch quickly before they too face the axe.
Thanks Andrew for gallantly pursuing to the end

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner