Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying boots

Marv

A-List Customer
A quick question for spitfie/paddy on the Aero 36 pattern boots, how wide are the boots at the top of the calf is there enough room for your average guy to include the tucking in of pants or are they pretty tight around the top.

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
I saw a pair of Avirex 36'ers in the flesh last weekend. The owner had re-soled them with leather soles and they were extremely convincing. I suggest that if anyone come across the Avirex boots that they pick them up.

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
I've tracked down a photo of the rather elusive Eastman 1936 pattern boot. It looks pretty impressive, its a shame they ceased production.

3620boot20outside.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Probably if Gary got bombarded by enough people asking for them back, he's do it. They'll still have the patterns and whathaveyou so it shouldn't be a biggie to get them back into production. Only thing I suppose would be sourcing the fleece/leather again.

Mind you it'd probably have to be a LOT of people asking for them to convince ELC to do them again or another limited run.

They do look nice though don't they.

Mr.Microphone

Familiar Face
This may or may not be the right thread to post this in, but here it goes.

I just picked up a pair of A-6A's. Overall they are in good condition. There are a few tears in the leather but I am looking for a local shop to repair those. The question I have is, what is the best way to clean up the zippers and restore some of the moisture to the leather? I have heard neatsfoot oil or pecards. I see mixed reviews on both.

Thanks!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Mr.Microphone said:
This may or may not be the right thread to post this in, but here it goes.

I just picked up a pair of A-6A's. Overall they are in good condition. There are a few tears in the leather but I am looking for a local shop to repair those. The question I have is, what is the best way to clean up the zippers and restore some of the moisture to the leather? I have heard neatsfoot oil or pecards. I see mixed reviews on both.

Thanks!

I've never used it personally but people swear by Pecards and museums in the UK use it.

If that's difficult to get hold of, RM Williams Saddle and Leather Dressing, bloody fantastic stuff.

Neatsfoot oil darkens leather and can rot stitching over time, saying that some love it.

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Any word yet from Jerry Lee at WPG on his 1936ers? Earlier it was thought they would be coming out around April/May but obviously that time is long passed...

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I think that if you put a pair of the Eastman boots and a pair of the current Aero boots side by side you will see that they are very similar. This fact alone (read between the lines) makes it unlikely IMO that Eastman will be offering these boots again.

Having owned both, I would say that neither of the above-mentioned makes is a truly accurate reproduction of typical original 1936 pattern boots, when compared to the accuracy of the same companies' jackets. If you're not after true accuracy, both are fine boots, but IMO expensive. I believe that this issue has been well discussed on this forum in the past, with photographs as evidence.

Smithy said:
Probably if Gary got bombarded by enough people asking for them back, he's do it. They'll still have the patterns and whathaveyou so it shouldn't be a biggie to get them back into production. Only thing I suppose would be sourcing the fleece/leather again.

Mind you it'd probably have to be a LOT of people asking for them to convince ELC to do them again or another limited run.

They do look nice though don't they.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
H.Johnson said:
I think that if you put a pair of the Eastman boots and a pair of the current Aero boots side by side you will see that they are very similar. This fact alone (read between the lines) makes it unlikely IMO that Eastman will be offering these boots again.

Having owned both, I would say that neither of the above-mentioned makes is a truly accurate reproduction of typical original 1936 pattern boots, when compared to the accuracy of the same companies' jackets. If you're not after true accuracy, both are fine boots, but IMO expensive. I believe that this issue has been well discussed on this forum in the past, with photographs as evidence.

You are right Mr Johnson. The old question of the vamp especially I believe.

Supposedly Jerry's forthcoming jobs are going to be an attempt at a more "accurate" pattern. Time will tell I suppose.

And Hawkeye, haven't heard a mumble more about the release date. Hopefully they'll be worth the wait though when they do emerge.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Personally I'm not holding my breath for the RPG boots. I have a lot of respect for Major Lee, and his recently reproduced 1949 Pattern KD ("G___ka") shorts are quite impressive, but we know where he tends to have his reproductions made.

This feeling is based in the fact that I have seen 1940 Pattern boots obtained directly from one of these companies (not through WPG) and they weren't even close in terms of accuracy and I guess that it is harder to reproduce 1936 Pattern boots than 1940 Pattern.

Maybe Jerry will be able to impose better accuracy on the manufacturer and so maybe WPG versions of 1936 pattern boots will be better. I hope he can.

Edward

Bartender
Spitfire said:
Deffinately enough room for both trousers, maps, chocolatebars, pistol and whatever you need for you next scramble.:)

Coming at this from the opposite side.... I'm half-way keeping an eye out for a deal on a pair of these as a sort of warmer alternative to my engineer boots in the winter. I would (as I do with the engineer boots) prefer to wear them up inside my trouser legs for the most part - is this feasible, or are they simply too bulky for that?

Regarding colour, the brown boots look great.... I always wodnered why the RAF didn't go for brown to match in with the other sheepskin wear, though I suppose maybe black was considered to be the better match to the blue battledress and other uniforms.

Paddy- > Those escape boots.... are they the ones that the tops came off to make them look like regular civilian shoes? I remember years ago being shown a pair - might have been by my primary school headmaster who piloted an RAF bomber over Germany. I seem to have a lingering notion that the tops attached together to form some sort of garment - a waistcoat type thing? [huh]

fishmeok

Vendor
Edward- keep an eye out for those '80's Avirex boots like the pair I have, they would work great for wearables and have modern vibram soles. The top is narrow enough to fit under a pair of trousers- real trousers, not the skintight girl's jeans that seem to be so popular with the younger crowd these days...
DSCN2726.jpg

Cheers
Mark

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Well, the wait is just about over, WPG is getting the 36'ers in stock sometime this month. However, after looking at the photo, I don't think I'll be buying this one. (unless the price is extreeeeemely reasonable). All the details just look....off. Judge for yourselves.

Patttern_1936_Flight_Boot.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Well at least they got the wamp right. Or almost right.

To me it looks strange that the boot looks very narrow above the foot and (very) wide at the top. But maybe it's just the photo and the angle of which they are pictured.
Can't wait to hear the price though.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Edward,

You'd need wide trousers to fit '36 pattern boots inside. In terms of warmth, I think you'd find them 'overkill' in a British winter. I have a couple of pairs that I very rarely wear for that reason.

However...what size are you?

Edward said:
Coming at this from the opposite side.... I'm half-way keeping an eye out for a deal on a pair of these as a sort of warmer alternative to my engineer boots in the winter. I would (as I do with the engineer boots) prefer to wear them up inside my trouser legs for the most part - is this feasible, or are they simply too bulky for that?

Edward

Bartender
Thanks Mark, I will do. Alas, I've had to give up the drainpipes for the most part due to excess horizontal expansion to my frame making them look ridiculous, so that wouldn't be a worry - more that they'd fit under a pair of Prison Blues (which my engineer boots do comfortably). :)

fishmeok said:
Edward- keep an eye out for those '80's Avirex boots like the pair I have, they would work great for wearables and have modern vibram soles. The top is narrow enough to fit under a pair of trousers- real trousers, not the skintight girl's jeans that seem to be so popular with the younger crowd these days...
DSCN2726.jpg

Cheers
Mark

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Hawk_Eye said:
Well, the wait is just about over, WPG is getting the 36'ers in stock sometime this month. However, after looking at the photo, I don't think I'll be buying this one. (unless the price is extreeeeemely reasonable). All the details just look....off. Judge for yourselves.

As I said, I wasn't holding my breath. The details aren't that bad taken individually, but from ths view when put together the general effect is not right. The ankle is too narrow, the angle of the calf is too acute, the welt is too narrow...but the vamp is closer than Eastman's or Aero's versions.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Yup, have to agree with the ankle and top width comments. Not as good as what I think we had been hoping. Just one question, are these an actual production pair or a working prototype?

I'm still wanting Andrew's brown Aussie 36s.

Andrew me old mate, you must be sick of them by now surely? Lots more use to me for winters in Melbourne and up in the mountains than for you tropical types up on the Sunshine Coast :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats