Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flying While Wearing Vintage

Sunny

One Too Many
I don't travel much, and when I do I tend to drive. I'm paranoid about setting off metal detectors! But here's the deal: I wear vintage most days. Soon I'll be taking a short business trip, leaving from work on the way out. If I wear my regular work clothes, as I'd really rather, I'll have 8-12 bobbie pins in my hair, 4 metal garters, and possibly metal buttons or a metal zipper in my dress. Plus of course my underwire. This is stuff that can't be dumped into a bin, and I'd hate to have to explain the girdle!

Have any of you ladies worn vintage from the skin out while flying? Did you run into any metal detector or TSA problems? Or if not vintage, what are your experiences on how much metal it takes? Jeans have zippers and at least one button, plus rivets.

I'm probably way over-analyzing this. But I'd really like some other opinions and if there IS anything to steer clear of, to know.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I don't think it's a big deal. Jeans don't set off metal detectors. My grandma did set one off once with her bobby pins, but she used to wear 50 gazillion of them in her hair. Who cares? If they have to pat you down and you have to show them your garters, big deal? They'll have a wand and they'll be able to tell that it's the metal zipper or whatever. Just expect security to take a bit more time than usual.

Blondie

Practically Family
If you do by chance set off the metal detectors, and they want to pat you down, you can request a private room to have it done, they won't expect you to start stripping down in front of everyone.
I travel A LOT and never once have i set off metal detectors with my clothes or undergarments. Its usually things like keys,coins in pockets, belt buckles, really super heavy silver jewelry, zippo lighters etc that set them off.
I really would'nt worry about it !

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
my 'garter' or suspender clips have only set off the metal detectors once at heathrow, but ladies get patted down by a lady anyway,

i think the worst incident was at new york newark airport! i had to take my hair out of my snood, and undo my huge front barrel roll! they thought i may have smuggled something in it! totally crazy! i must of looked dodgy!:rolleyes:

ladyk

Familiar Face
I always beep, but I'm used to it. The only way I'd be able to dress without all of those little metal bits and bobs would be if I traveled in my pyjamas, and I'm not willing to make that sacrifice ;) The only thing I do leave of are hat pins. If they want to take away tweezers, I don't want to risk losing any of my gorgeous (but sharp and stabby) pins.

I've never had any problems from the security types though. Or have to flash my suspenders. You'll be fine, don't worry!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've travelled all over the world and everything I've worn has set off alarms at some point plus I was on a year-long watch list for losing my ID one time (which means you and your luggage get searched each and every time you travel by air for the next year).

The only thing they ever did was use a wand to check for metal in a public place and ask some questions.

Vintage Betty

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Last time I flew, I had my hair in pincurls tied up under a bandana Rosie-style, and the pins never set anything off. I did, however, wear plastic garter tabs for the occasion to avoid any potential problems. The only thing they had trouble with was my Girl Scout knife -- which I had forgotten to take out of my purse. Oops.

Neany73

New in Town
I flew last week and as it was an internal flight and I've never flown internally in the UK I packed and dressed as if I was taking the train! oops

So, my girdle set off the alarms, I just fibbed slightly and said I was wearing one for my back (which has since I started wearing them become the truth in ways, I never get back pain now), it somehow made it seem ok to say it then! I got patted down and wanded and she just felt were the boning is for confirmation and was satisfied with that.

Lovely Leah

Familiar Face
Flying

I always set off alarms regardless of whether or not I wear vintage. At times it is a hassle. When I travel, I use a wheelchair, I can't stand in long security lines. The wheelchair whether it is mine or the airport's goes through an inspection. Because of back surgery, I have some metal in me. I also wear a back brace and most of my shoes all have steel shanks which also set off the detectors. Rather than go through what often can be a public and somewhat humiliating search, I advise the TSA people that I require a private inspection. The TSA people have been incredibly polite and sensitive. In most cases, I get to the gate faster than my able bodied companions.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Miss 1929 said:
But you were prepared...

HAHAHA! Miss 1929- that's the most wonderful pun I've heard all day!

I wouldn't worry about setting off metal detectors. I travel with my fiance and the bands he manages all over the USA constantly. He and I worry about getting stopped because we're with the guys who are loaded w/ metal and tattoos. That can get a little scary sometimes! Each of them must get stopped about 5 times- someone forgot to take out a piercing, someone else forgot to take off their large belt buckle- or the time that one of them was "smart" enough to wear a bullet belt through security.... Oh my gosh! Security was called and they had to prove that the bullets were all duds... so much drama! It was awfully embarrassing as we all had to stay together... :eek:

I wouldn't worry about a few clips. They'll let you pass, no doubt!!;)

D

Deleted member 3716

LizzieMaine said:
Last time I flew, I had my hair in pincurls tied up under a bandana Rosie-style, and the pins never set anything off.

i have set the beeper off on numerous occasions with pincurls under a bandana.
they just wave the wand around my head while it goes crazy.
usually everyone within a 12ft radius seems to think this is hilarious.
except me. :eek:

melbournian

New in Town
I've set off many metal detectors with my jewellery...I went through a punk phase in my teens and always forgot to take my jewellery off. There was one time flying to Sydney where my silver bangle set it off...I regretted wearing doc martens boots on that flight as they had to come off...

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
It varies wildy from airport to airport. My husband has gone through the metal detectors with his huge metal diving watch on and no beeps. At other airports, the detectors go off because of a few pins in my hair. Just expect a delay and you'll be prepared for it.

Sunny

One Too Many
This is so much fun to read! Some of y'all's experiences are so funny. I guess I'll just be normal and hope for the best ;)

Paisley said:
If you don't wear your garters, the terrorists will have won.
Quote of the Day! lol

Spiffy

A-List Customer
I hear you, melbournian on the Docs. I had to fly NC to RI in the middle of winter and they were the only snow-appropriate shoes I owned. So at every stop between, I got to bend over, unlace them, and run them through the x-ray machine. Honestly, I couldn't have been more than 14! Did they think I was going to throw my shoe at someone?

Also: Flying out of Heathrow/into DC on a student trip they searched virtually ALL of us and made everyone take off jackets, belts, even earrings/necklaces, there had to have been at least 30 of us.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Well nowadays, everyone is aware of the security process and the hassles it causes. When I fly, I keep it simple, wear jeans and slip on shoes, and always take off my jewelry ahead of time and put it in my handbag. I never set off the metal detector. Personally, I place more value on getting through security quickly and getting on with my travels, than traveling in high style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner