Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foam bendy rollers

~*Red*~

Practically Family
ThatPoshGirl said:
Hi,

First time poster here. I'm really curious about the curlformers. My hair is very long (close to hip length) so I don't think the starter kit is the right choice for me. Do you have to get the starter kit to get the hook? or is there some other way to get it?

You can buy everythign separately at Sally's. They sell the hook, and all of the curlers separate. They have two colors together, pink and orange or blue and green. And then there are different lengths of those colors, short and long.

oneswellkel

New in Town
curlformer questions

hi all! i am a new member and really like reading about your adventures with different curling products. i purchased curlformers this week and have had some trouble.

some background about my hair: i have naturally blonde, almost touching my shoulders, naturally wavy (or curly with a diffuser) hair. the hair is fine but i have a lot of it.

i tried using curlformers after washing my hair and did not have a very positive experience. i could only get get two of the curlformers into my hair and those two pulled and tugged. the hook kept tangling in my hair and would get stuck about half way through the curlformer.

i really want to try them again but i would appreciate any suggestions or help about how to use them without hurting my hair.

thanks! its nice to meet you all!

Romamor4

Familiar Face
This thread seemed to have turned into a thread about curlformers, but I just wanted to see if anyone has tried out the foam bendy rollers and how it turned out? I'm talking about the ones that look like hot sticks but do not produce heat. I'm considering trying these but not sure yet.

Tatum

Practically Family
This thread seemed to have turned into a thread about curlformers, but I just wanted to see if anyone has tried out the foam bendy rollers and how it turned out? I'm talking about the ones that look like hot sticks but do not produce heat. I'm considering trying these but not sure yet.

Hi Romamor! I have them, but I had a hard time getting them to stay in my hair. They are more flexible than hot sticks, I think that might have had something to do with it. They didn't want to stay curled onto themselves.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer

I have tried these. I suppose on the whole I wouldn't recommend them, at least not if you haven't tried other kinds of roller. There are pros and cpns.

Pros:
- smooth surface minimises tangling and (in theory) gives smoother curls. I think this happened when I used them.

- shape of roller makes them really easy to roll up, you can just hold the end bits

- no pins, clips or clasps so in theory that means no dents- I never seem to have a problem with that regardless of what I use so I can't really say whether this happened with me

Cons:

- As Tatum said, they don't stay fixed too well. Not only are they quite hard to fix (for me at least) - bending two ends over into a knot whilst trying to keep all of your hair on the roller and in the same place is hard - but they would often 'drop' quite a bit, so I'd end up with the roller halfway down my hair. This was the main difficulty for me.

- Don't even think about sleeping on them! This was the dealbreaker for me. Granted, my ones were quite solid foam, not soft like sponge rollers, but regardless of texture, having that fastening 'knot' as well as the roller itself is mighty uncomfortable. The first (and only) time I slept in them I woke up with a sore neck and shoulders, which should tell you all you need to know!

Romamor4

Familiar Face
Well thanks for the insight, Tatum and Frenchy! You've definitely confirmed that they will not do what I want them to and thus you have saved me some money! I absolutely love how hot sticks works on my hair, so I thought these might work as well, but i'm not even gonna waste my time.

Tatum

Practically Family
Well thanks for the insight, Tatum and Frenchy! You've definitely confirmed that they will not do what I want them to and thus you have saved me some money! I absolutely love how hot sticks works on my hair, so I thought these might work as well, but i'm not even gonna waste my time.

What's funny is, mine are still in residence in my vanity drawer and I looked at them the other day and thought, "Why haven't these gone to Goodwill?" Then this thread got resurrected... It really gave me a chuckle. I love hot sticks too, when I need some heat. Have you tried rag rolling? It gives a very similar effect, and is super comfy to sleep on.

angeljenny

A-List Customer
I like mine. They are soft and I just sort of cross the ends over. I couldn't sleep in the plastic rollers I tried but the bendy foam ones don't bother me unless I roll over funny and pull my hair!

Plus I can actually do the back of my hair which is a miracle for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24