Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foods I can't find in my present location and regional specialties.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Red_Lipstick said:
When me and my boyfriend were living in London I used to complain I missed Spanish food (Spanish ham!!!) and now we're living in Spain I miss some English food :eusa_doh:

Are you talking about Jamon Serrano or Iberico?:essen: Oh yeah!:)

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I really miss my mom's stollen. She used to make it every year for my brother and myself (for 41 years!). She decided to not make it this year. Its just not Christmas without that stollen.

rue

Mexican food.
I haven't had great Mexican food since I left California unless I make it myself. I hate Tex-mex/American Mexican food.... *yucky* Give me a taco truck with carne asada soft tacos anytime and I'm a happy gal.

Italian food.
I haven't had great fried mozzarella since I went to Patsy's in NY.

French food.
Seared Foie Gras. Ohio has no idea what this is.

Fish.
The only fish they eat here is fried. I miss fresh fish, especially abalone.

Fresh artichokes and avocados and figs..... sigh.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
Goat, which is a basic staple in Greece, and is only available here
in ethnic neighborhoods. All the snake, lizard, monkey, tiger, rat, octopi,
shark, and other delicacies the Army forced on me are no longer on
the menu. But I love grilled goat meat. :D

I think we had goat in Germany (Russelsheim, to be precise). The Turkish fellow at the kabob stand could not tell me in English (or German) what the meat was, only that the animal gave milk, and it wasn't beef! Reminded me a little of lamb, which I like, so I did enjoy it!

Adcurium

A-List Customer
I miss quite a few things from Northeast Pennsylvania (NEPA, to those in the know). Specifically, Yuengling Beer, the 10 different variations of pizza, middleswarth chips, GOOD buffalo wings, tastycakes, and potato pancakes from St. Peter & Paul's church bazar. Oh, and of course cheesesteaks.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
The big things I miss about Christmas food in Australia are mangoes, cherries and prawns. Even in a largely vegetarian family, someone would always bring some lovely big prawns for Christmas lunch, and if my grandmother could be prevented from letting the cat eat them all, they were such a treat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav