Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foods I can't find in my present location and regional specialties.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
duggap said:
You all are talking about your fish and chips. Well down here we like farm raised catfish with hush puppies and coleslaw and fries. Matter of fact, I am driving 30 miles this evening just to eat at the catfish house.:eusa_clap

Sounds good but we don't usually care what footwear we wear whilst we eat shark 'n taties :D

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I always miss White Castle & In-N-Out Burger when I am not in those areas of the States! Also miss the chicory coffee in New Orleans

Smithy said:
Who mentioned sausages?!

That's another I'm missing. They've got nice ones here but not the British type sausages that we eat back home. I tried to make Devilled Sausages with some Norwegian ones and it was distinctly wrong.

BT, when you are in Auckland in December you have to go to the butcher's shop on Gladstone Rd in Parnell, that chap IMHO makes the best sausages in the world. They are incredible, all natural, none of that sythetic skin crap. Tons of varieties but get the pure pork, brilliant. All his meat is good to, and he'll hang things to the customer's request and even get in things like pheasants, quail, if you want.

Bangers and mash anyone?

It's got to be smash potatoes though ;)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I don't mind smash but it's not as good as real mash made with cream and butter and loads of pepper.

I don't mind champ either.

But bangers and mash always has to have onions in the gravy ;)

rmrdaddy said:

Sorry, but I'm gonna disagree with an easily-skewed poll (particularly an even-easier-to-skew online poll, which usually sees diehards vote early and often)--just ain't no substitute for a little neighborhood joint, like the one in the North End where I had my first back in '01.

And good ol' Fort Wayne coney-dogs, as opposed to the chili-topped "coneys" out here (if I wanted a chili-dog, I'd order a chili-dog)--good thing I'm headed back that way inside of a week... (PanamaBob & other locals, I strongly advise not being anywhere along the straight line from Indianapolis Airport to Coney Island on Main Friday morning!lol)

Darhling, someday I'll have to tell you some of my kitchen-tricks...;) (Like being able to go on a "grand tour" of various restaurants without having to leve the kitchen, almost as good as doing each course at a different place without the travel time and expenses! Gotta love Top Secret Recipes and the Buca di Beppo cookbook...:D)

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Sorry, but I'm gonna disagree with an easily-skewed poll (particularly an even-easier-to-skew online poll, which usually sees diehards vote early and often)--just ain't no substitute for a little neighborhood joint, like the one in the North End where I had my first back in '01.
Not my original poll DB. Though I do hear what you are saying when it comes to on-line polls.
But....When it comes to 'steaks, I'll put a Pat's (American, Wit, with mulligans) up against anything you can find in any other part of Philly, or even your 'hood on the opposite coast. Fair enough...?

(And I don't need no target sights on my Kimber either .... ;) :D )

Story

I'll Lock Up
LocktownDog said:
Pork roll and scrapple. Man, sometimes I really miss Jersey.

Just remember, the P.R.N.J. hasn't changed since you left, Comrade.

edsphilly_scrapple.jpg

Translation for the Scrapple-uneducated, it's a Pennsylvania thing (you wouldn't understand): http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/sleuth/0998/scrapple.html

ShesSoVaVaVoom

One of the Regulars
LocktownDog said:
Pork roll and scrapple. Man, sometimes I really miss Jersey. Can't get good pizza out here either. Or funnel cake.

wow I haven't even thought about pork roll or scrapple since I moved back to CA from Philly... never did try it, but I do miss Ritas Water Ice, and pizza fries.

I wish I had the means to travel, I'd take a road trip for Ritas (and visit friends along the way too I suppose :))

LondonLuke

One of the Regulars
I always miss Austrian Speck and Semmel (type of ham and bread rolls), but whenever I go over there I miss good english sausages and bacon for breakfast!

Mojito

One Too Many
sixsexsix said:
I always miss White Castle & In-N-Out Burger when I am not in those areas of the States! Also miss the chicory coffee in New Orleans
I travelled with a group of family and friends through California and over to Nevada and Arizona in 2001, and the blokes in the group developed an obsession with In-N-Out Burgers. So much so that on subsequent trips, one of them has brought back In-N-Out t-shirts for the others, so they can proclaim their fast food infatuation to the world. I enjoyed them, but not to the teashirt wearing stage!

I was relieved to find that Coles now stocks my favourite type of marrowfat mushy peas, imported from the UK. Now I just need to stop being so lazy and make a meal with bangers, mash, mushy peas and gravy all nestled in a giant Yorkshire Pudding.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
In Iowa, where I'll soon be returning, lamb is practically banned from the meat counter. There's a lot more interest in beef and pork because so much of each is produced here. But lamb loses out again because Iowa farmland is too rich and valuable for big sheep operations to make sense. Big agriculture holds all the cards in the distribution game.

Obob

New in Town
Peanut Butter Joys

When I was about 5 or so, I used to eat these chocolate covered peanut butter wafer bars, called Peanut Butter Joys. They were about the size of an index card, but only about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Layers of wafer and peanut butter, covered in chocolate. And the wafer had a tiny sort of pattern on it, compared to those you get today. They were also a single bar, not two halves. As I recall, the box they came in was gold and white, with red lettering.

My grandad would buy a truckload of stale bread to feed the cows, at the bakery surplus bread store, and if he wasn't in a bad mood (and he usually wasn't), he'd get a box of them. Then, when I was 7 or so (1970), they didn't carry them anymore, and I've been looking for them since; whenever I see a new chocolate wafer type thing, I hope it's the one, but then it never is...

Frankly, I think they were a local product, and when they were gone, they were gone. The bakery did Sunbeam bread and related products. I guess it still does, but it's been a Flowers Bakery for years, and nobody remembers nothing about what was, in something like that. Anyway, if anyone here remembers such a food, I'd surely love to know about it. ..

Obob

rmrdaddy said:
But....When it comes to 'steaks, I'll put a Pat's (American, Wit, with mulligans) up against anything you can find in any other part of Philly, or even your 'hood on the opposite coast. Fair enough...?

(And I don't need no target sights on my Kimber either .... ;) :D )
Against any outside-Philly joint you're right on, but in town it might be an open contest... and I take mine 3-Cheese, wit'-out, biggest size they got. What're mulligans, anyway?
--one snake who don't NEED no target sights nor fancy name-brand, just a plain ol' GI-style .45 homebuilt by a gunsmith buddy...:p :D lol

Mojito said:
I travelled with a group of family and friends through California and over to Nevada and Arizona in 2001, and the blokes in the group developed an obsession with In-N-Out Burgers. So much so that on subsequent trips, one of them has brought back In-N-Out t-shirts for the others, so they can proclaim their fast food infatuation to the world. I enjoyed them, but not to the teashirt wearing stage!
You ever come back to the States, if you haven't been we'll have to introduce you to Sonic Drive-Ins and their Cherry Limeade--the stuff's so addictive it should be a controlled substance! I singlehandedly sucked a huge jug of the stuff dry just over the highway between Gallup and Grants, NM...:eek:

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
You ever come back to the States, if you haven't been we'll have to introduce you to Sonic Drive-Ins and their Cherry Limeade--the stuff's so addictive it should be a controlled substance! I singlehandedly sucked a huge jug of the stuff dry just over the highway between Gallup and Grants, NM...:eek:

I second Sonic. I was introduced to it in December when we visited my in-laws down in Austin. We ate there six times in nine days. :eusa_doh: But now.... I crave their cherry limeade. Imagine our immense glee when we found out that there are many locations due to open in our area (well, within a 30 mile drive) in the next year. Yippee!

Story

I'll Lock Up
rmrdaddy said:

Yer frum Joisey, whaddayewknow? lol Ya gotta go further than five miles from a bridge.

http://myfoxphilly.cityvoter.com/d-alessandro-s-deli/biz/45868

2435718702_c084078225.jpg

Yes, I'm aware that it looks like the result of a hit-and-run but... :slobber:

R

Red_Lipstick

When me and my boyfriend were living in London I used to complain I missed Spanish food (Spanish ham!!!) and now we're living in Spain I miss some English food :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats