Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foods I can't find in my present location and regional specialties.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Story said:
They say that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach but it seems the dining tables have turned as increasing numbers of men are taking up cooking in a bid to seduce women.

Dubbed 'Gastrosexuals' this new generation of men consider cooking more a hobby than a household chore and use their kitchen prowess to impress friends and prospective partners.

Men having the ability to cook is also now a key factor in attracting women along with salary, status, personality and appearance, according to new research.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...astrosexual-men-cooking-bid-seduce-women.html

Actually, it is quite seductive when a man cooks a meal from scratch, knows what he is doing and still can entertain with a laidback charm! :eek:

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Yum

When I was in the Navy I was stationed in Groton, CT. I would frequently take day trips to the surrounding states, and fell in love with all the fresh seafood. Before that, I'd lived in Missouri my whole life. We've got catfish, but that's about as "seafood" as it gets. So now that I'm back in Missouri, I miss clam chowder, lobster rolls, and most of all, crab cakes.

However if I were back in Connecticut, I wouldn't be able to walk down the street and get fried green tomatoes and an amazing BBQ pulled pork sandwich.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I am missing to just go into a grocerystore and pick up a bottle of wine or Asti, here in Sweden we al have to go to Systembolaget, which is the only place you can get alcohol..

Also, I am miss koldskål, I really love that stuff :) But I think swedish milk tastes a lot better than the danish for some reason..

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Betty said:
I hate Marmite. I think it's nasty stuff (ducking head from all the marmite lovers in this thread). I first tried it in Amsterdam, and I gagged. How do you guys like that stuff?

You will have had British Marmite which is a pale comparison to NZ Marmite. I've been reduced to British Marmite here as the NZ stuff and Vegemite aren't in the stores here.

How do we like? We grow up on it! I'll admit most newcomers can't stand it but my fiancée hated it when she first tried it, now she loves the stuff. Truth be told she's possibly missing it more than me.

But always on thick hot buttered toast. If you want to have a go at being a true Kiwi then on Vogel's toast ;)

Rufus

Practically Family
I miss (From Tokyo) aquarius isotonic drink, meiji chocolate almonds, and sweet potatoes from outside Ueno station.

From the States and Canada, Waffle or Pancake breakfasts big enough to use as a double bed.

In the UK we just don't have good waffles..

I'd forgotten how difficult it was to get alcohol in Sweden! Only at big supermarkets, and they wanted fingerprints, a letter from your parents and a blood sample before handing anything over.. wow..

Vegemite.... Truly the work of the devil... possibly the most devisive ''food' stuff ever? I'd rather eat my own head! (and possiblt tastier!) ;-)

Vogels bread... Superb!!

:) ruf

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Rufus said:
I'd forgotten how difficult it was to get alcohol in Sweden! Only at big supermarkets, and they wanted fingerprints, a letter from your parents and a blood sample before handing anything over.. wow..

Ah yes the joys of buying booze in Scandinavia. It's probably worse here. At supermarkets you can only buy beer, and not after 8pm weekdays or 6pm on Saturdays, even if the bloody places are open longer than that!!!!???? And forget about Sunday. Wine and spirits you can only purchase from state-run Vinmonopolet.

Very different to back home where you could most times just stroll down to the grog shop to pick up some drinks for a party or to watch the cricket with.

duggap

Banned
sixsexsix said:
There are a couple of awesome Cuban restaurants in Toronto, if you're ever up this way. MUCH better than the food actually in Cuba lol
Hey, thanks sixsexsix, we will take you and your significant other to dinner with us if we are able to make it up your way. It is just that it may be easier to drive to Tampa than to Toronto.[huh]

Dragon Soldier

One of the Regulars
I used to miss Soda Bread when I ventured out of NI, although I've noticed you can sometimes get it in England, further afield and you're out of luck.

This led to me learning to make my own, which has in turn led to me never buying it at all.... Even when it's easily available. Home made is SO much better.

And just to add a little 'period' colour to the tale, you don't need an airtight oven for soda bread to rise... So I can occasionaly be found at Living History camps making a 'bap' in mess tins. I mix flour/soda/cream of tartar at home and pop it in a little muslin bag, measured for one issue tin mug of milk to be added. It's a bit messy but the public seem to like this one.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Smithy? Fish & Chips/Meat Pies.

Actually, in Sweden, you can buy medium strength Beer in any Supermarket and medium strength versions of international brands-Guinness included. I'm just enjoying a 3.5% Pilsner Urquell, in the sun on the balcony, as I write this.
Urquell has to be one of the most refreshing summer beers.

I'm liking the lower strength beer- downing it like a glass of water lin the mid-day sun leaves me refreshed, rather than having to sit down.

Full strength Beers, Wines and Spirits can only be had from Systemet.

But I do miss Copenhagen- any alcohol from the Kiosk next door.
Nip down the stairs and grab something without even thinking about it.

Smithy, Salt & Vinegar crisps are hard to come by, but.
Marmite from England is like some kind of weak wood stain.
Those who like Bovril must be acquainted with the dark, salty toppings.
I knew some Australians who would put salt on Vegemite!

But... NZ Fish & Chips and myriad varieties of Meat Pies are what I'll be going crazy on whenI go home at Christmas!

Smithy- you remember that Chinese Take Away at the Pasadena shops,
Gt. Nth. Rd. on the corner..? Very good Fish & Chips.
When I was in Auckland last time and staying in Grey Lynn, that was my local Fish stop. It will be in December too.

B
T

Story

I'll Lock Up
Darhling said:
Actually, it is quite seductive when a man cooks a meal from scratch, knows what he is doing and still can entertain with a laidback charm! :eek:

Come over and see my cookbooks some time, sugar. ;)

sixsexsix

Practically Family
In Canada liquor sales are provincial, not national, so each province decides how it's going to sell things. Here in Ontario, ALL liquor & beer is only sold through provincially run stores, which sucks. Their hours aren't the best and trying to find one sometimes is a hassle.

Josephine

One Too Many
In Virginia the state has ABC stores (Alcohol Beverage Control) that sell hard liquor (not exactly few and far between, but not far enough that you have to make a "special trip"), and the supermarkets sell beer and wine.

To get back to the food, when I lived on Guam the second time, as a senior in high school we got to go off campus for lunch. There was a shop that had a weird buffet/cafeteria style section with hot dogs completely wrapped in a roll that was a little bit sweet. Every so often I'll get a craving for one, and once in a blue moon I'll be able to still taste it. :/

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
Smithy- you remember that Chinese Take Away at the Pasadena shops,
Gt. Nth. Rd. on the corner..? Very good Fish & Chips.
When I was in Auckland last time and staying in Grey Lynn, that was my local Fish stop. It will be in December too.

B
T

Haha! I know it well. We lived only 5 minutes walk away.

Piece of snapper and 2 bucks chips :D

I think a few beers and some fish and chips in the park are in order if we come over for Christmas.

Oh and I'm going to buy a steak and cheese pie as soon as we walk through the arrival gates at Auckland Airport!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
Haha! I know it well. We lived only 5 minutes walk away.

Piece of snapper and 2 bucks chips :D

I think a few beers and some fish and chips in the park are in order if we come over for Christmas.

Oh and I'm going to buy a steak and cheese pie as soon as we walk through the arrival gates at Auckland Airport!

The Park... and MoTaT2, too.

Pies... last time, 2 years ago, our Nth. Island driving tour was a pie stop extravaganza- they were the only thing our Daughter would eat(the filling on a spoon and a bit of pastry)- so it was justified.
Pies... SO good but SO bad.

Actually, a pie tour is good, they differ from place to place.

I'm amazed that Scandinavians don't have them...
Meat- GOOD, pastry- GOOD... but never the twain.

B
T

Rufus

Practically Family
BT, I live in the east End, and there's still a few Pie and mash shops around.
Eel too, if you've had enough beer for breakfast.

In the UK, alcohol is available just about everywhere... cornershops etc..

I was horrified to be stuck outside of Stockholm one weekend with the locals looking at me like I was mad when I asked where the local off license was!
Also, everyone in Scandinavia seems to get tanked BEFORE they go out, as drinks are so expensive...

Still, ya can't beat Norn Iron for a cheap pint and the craic. Sigh...

ruf.. in London..

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yeh, Pie and Mash. I lived in Londres for 8 years before moving to Denmark.
Bethnal Green, right? Kelly's and Robin's...

There's a great "Italian" family greasy spoon down on Mile End Rd.- Mr. G's, typically grimey looking but food. I used to stop there for Industrial Tea and Bacon, Cheese & Onion Toasted sandwiches on the way to the far East, calling on customers- drop in at Silvermans and buy surplus clothing, which I find is still
surplus. I used to call on a few Pie and Mash shops,
weekly- Manzes at Tower Bridge, used to
feed me on my journey home to
the Elephanta y Castella.
Was pink, now red-
Liquor on mash,
Sarsaparilla,
Awright
Mate?

B
T

Forum statistics