Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fooled by a hat store?

chum

Familiar Face
Purchased a Borsalino fedora at a local hat shop(that I will not name yet) and I was looking for a dark grey. They only had one that was too small and said they could stretch it.After this was done it fit better and they said with wear it would loosen up a little more. They boxed it and I took it home. On the way home I ran a few errands. By the time I got home and tried it on again it was already too tight!:( Then I looked closer and the brim did not seem right either(possibly from the stretching?) I also found in the brighter light a slight imperfection on the front-top side of the brim.

I am going to bring it back for an exchange. What do all you Hat Gurus think?
Will they give me flak? Do I have any chance of getting an exchange(obviousley not for the same hat...I may even except a store credit).

carldelo

One Too Many
Yep, I'd return it immediately, the sooner the better. And I'd ask for refund in kind (cash, credit card, whatever), not just store credit. Any reputable hat vendor knows that hats rarely 'loosen up' with wear. Best case, you had an ignorant salesperson - worst case, you were knowingly sold a pig in a poke to clear out inventory. Either way, I think they should make it right and try to get you in a hat you want, and that fits properly.

PS - I've never had a stretched hat stay stretched. I once bought a straw hat in the same way and it had shrunk back by the end of the day. Luckily it was a $30 hat, and it wound up fitting a friend so it didn't go to waste. I wouldn't be so amused if the same thing happened with a Borsa, however.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Yep, I'd go back and speak directly with the proprietor. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. Sounds like the stretch tweaked the hat a bit too. I'd be looking for my $$back especially with that level of investment.
If you paid by charge you probably have some protection there as you can dispute the charge if the store won't help.
Good Luck!

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Did your salesperson happen to be one of these fellows?

0102_Are20You20Being20Served-1.jpg

"don't worry about it sir, it'll loosen up with wear"

Caity Lynn said:

lol lol lol lol That was my first thought when I read that as well. :p
Hats do not loosen up with wear. They might even tighten up with wear. :eusa_doh:
I have stretched hats with good results but it takes more than just putting it on a stretcher dry. :rolleyes:

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I agree with the others. Go back and get a refund. I hope it was only a naive salesperson, and that you weren't knowingly deceived.

Caity Lynn said:

lol
Thanks for sharing that Caity Lynn; I love that show!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
chum said:
Enlighten me.

Thanks for the replies!!!

I think this gentleman was referring to the quality of most modern Borsalino fedoras... I'm no expert, but from what I've read, it isn't impressive. Someone else can elaborate, perhaps?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
J B said:
I think this gentleman was referring to the quality of most modern Borsalino fedoras... I'm no expert, but from what I've read, it isn't impressive. Someone else can elaborate, perhaps?

We don't have many experts, save for the hatters and shop owners, we just have a lot of people with experience handling hats old and new, as both owners, shoppers, and friends. In terms of new hats, if you stick around just a little while, you'll see that Borsalino is just selling a name these days, that Stetson is a shadow of what it used to be, and that the rest of the classic American makers are pretty much gone. The hats taper, bleed die, have bad finishing work (obviously sewn ribbons, glued rather than sewn liners, bad pouncing - that's the sanding of the felt) or just bad, loose felt. I've got a newer Borsalino that I bought before I knew better.

For a new production hat, check out all the threads on Akubra. I don't have one, but they seem to have a lot of satisfied customers here. If you really know what you want and don't mind the cost, order a custom from Art, Optimo, the Adventurebilt guys, Major Moore, Gary White, or anyone else I've forgotten that has great reputation here. Otherwise, go vintage.

Check out the New Hats, What are You Wearing, and Ebay threads. You don't see a whole lot of new Borsalinos and Stetsons for a reason.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Lefty is right that they dont make them like they used to . As far as stretching a hat , I dont like to do it more than a fraction of a size. Stretching a hat too much will pull the hat out of shape. Hat tend to shrink as they are worn due to the quality of the felt. The vintage ones didnt shrink as much.

i would go back to that store and get a different hat.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Stan

A-List Customer
One floor down!

Hi,

No, no, no!

That's the Highly Professional Head Stretching Department!

Those are the guys you go to see when the hat is *too large* for your head!!

lol lol lol

The Highly Professional Hat Stretching Department is one floor down!

later!

Stan

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I've got to stick up a little for Borsalino, since I bought one yesterday (albeit a straw). they are far from perfect, but better than a whole lot of what is out there.

Justdog

Practically Family
Fit

I am going to bring it back for an exchange. What do all you Hat Gurus think?
Will they give me flak? Do I have any chance of getting an exchange(obviousley not for the same hat...I may even except a store credit).[/QUOTE]

I have not been overly impressed by new hats. Not customs. Borsalino, new, really dont impress me either. I am sold on vintage. Hopefully you get a credit.
Believe the rule of thumb is to buy a size up. I really try to get the most specific measurements I can if you cant try the hat on. Have fun though. I have my share of ones that did not fit;)
Lots of advice here on FD for good retail ones!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24