Footwear to go with our jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by red devil, Nov 4, 2017.

1. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Any tips for breaking in? Using leather boot ‘stretching’ spray & have conditioned the leather. So far have walked about 12 miles mixed terrain in them over 3 days. One boot is starting to feel more relaxed, wish it’s brother would follow suit.

Spiney likes this.
  2. Edward

Edward Bartender

Try Vaseline. Rub a layer liberally all over your foot before you put your socks on in the morning, and leave it. My grandmother, God rest her soul, claimed to have seen this on a documentary on TV about the SAS. I was sceptical but gave it a go on my DoE Gold four day expedition across the Mournes way back in 1992. Turned out to be surprisingly effective - got a lot of laughs, but I was the only one who came home with no blisters.

3. Edward

Edward Bartender

The other one used to be to put your boots in a bucket of water til they were nicely soaked, then wear until dry, but I'm not sure how that would affect the canvas.

Jin431 and Spiney like this.
  4. Spiney

Spiney Familiar Face

Sorry, no tips. My pair never improved at all. Ended up throwing them out . They were brutal.

5. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Heard the emersion method can shrink boots, the Vaseline could be worth a shot (bless your Grandmother). I’ve been using stretching spray and have conditioned the leather..one boot appears to be complying just need the other to agree to too :)

Edward and Spiney like this.
  6. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

If they don’t comply they are going on eBay :)

Spiney likes this.
  7. willyto

willyto One Too Many

I used to do that vaseline trick and it worked.

Edward and bn1966 like this.
  8. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Will try it tomorrow, thank you Gentlemen

9. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

Angel, jeo, Imuricecreamman and 15 others like this.
  10. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

Npt?

11. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

Clinch's Narrow poc-toe combining classic narrow and work round.
    Red Wing x Eat Dust Pecos
    IMG_20210213_212752.jpg IMG_20210213_212834.jpg

jeo, dudewuttheheck, Fonzie and 4 others like this.
  12. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Had a better break in day today & used the Vaseline method..no new blisters

Edward and Jin431 like this.
  13. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

Does intake have to be Vaseline? Can you use any kind of moisturizer?

14. yellowfever

yellowfever One of the Regulars

I did the Nijmegen March (100 miles with pack over 4 days - at least it’s flat!) many years ago, all kinds of folklore tales for avoiding blisters in our already broken in boots (only a fool or a masochist would try this in brand new boots). One idea that had some merit (and I think operates on the same principle as the Vaseline idea) was double socks - a very thin pair worn under normal socks. Idea was to allow for some easier sliding - between the socks - without your skin rubbing so much. Foot powder or talc also helps (powder helps lubricate things like Vaseline and stops sweaty feet which blister more easily).

Another well regarded idea was figuring out the worst friction points on your feet and preemptively taping them up with moleskin plasters, though I’d be tempted to use modern compeed plasters now (and they’re great for existing blisters too if you’re suffering, not cheap but worth it as they promote healing and stay on really wells so maybe more cost effective in the long run than lots of cheaper plasters).

Some folk tried to toughen their feet by regularly soaking them in surgical spirits but I was never convinced and it’s a little late for you to to start foot toughening up now! I guess you could drink the surgical spirts to take the edge off the blister pain, but you may go blind, so perhaps best not!

Maybe the best advice is simply to take your time, wear them little and often, keep them conditioned, bend the soles with your hands or squatting on your toes - once the soles start to give the boots will rub the back of your heels much less.

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    El Marro, Edward, bn1966 and 3 others like this.
  15. sal

sal One of the Regulars

I just splurged and received a pair of IronHearts 21 oz. worth every penny. I’m going to buy a second pair

roadking04 and Jin431 like this.
  16. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

The get softer than any jeans i’ve owned. Sadly just outgrew mine :(

roadking04 and Jin431 like this.
  17. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

Can you pls post more fit photos of the grizzly? That's a wonderful jacket. Love the collar

18. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Good post, thanks

I’m down the compeed route & my feet are covered in a patchwork, using Vaseline before walking now and thin socks. Attacking the leather with conditioner and potatoes in the toe box overnight. Will try some sole bending tomorrow when the Wife is back at work.

Edward and Jin431 like this.
  19. red devil

red devil My Mail is Forwarded Here

Jin431 likes this.
  20. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

Hold up, what is this potatoes in the toebox trick? That so random and funny to me haha

Great! Thank you, I'm thinking of getting one but in a smooth leather.
    Ooh haven't seen this one before. Don't mind if I do.

red devil likes this.