Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

Pandemic

One Too Many
Very nice - what are they? Look like engineers, is there a buckle under your jeans there? The heel is a nice shape. Nicely raised and tones, but subtle too.

Thanks. They are made by Mason, who mostly make work boots. They are a Western boot, but I agree they look more look an engineer cross-over: Vibram sole and no ornamental stitching. Not too yee-haw!

F3C99FA2-8940-4148-A128-DCDFB5142AC7.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
Thanks. They are made by Mason, who mostly make work boots. They are a Western boot, but I agree they look more look an engineer cross-over: Vibram sole and no ornamental stitching. Not too yee-haw!

View attachment 353417

Very nice, definitely subtle. Easily dressed up with a buckle harness thingy for western boots, and unadorned ideal for when you want something subtle. I like the rounder toe and Western heel combo - not something you see very often without going custom.

Khilij

One of the Regulars
My B grade Grant Stone Diesel boots in Earth waxed suede came in today. They're actually really nice and appear to be in pretty good condition aside from a few small nicks in the leather. I can tell they're going to take some time to break in, but for my first pair of nicer boots, I'm pretty happy.

They use C.F. Stead's Waxy Commander Leather, and they seem to be built to a higher standard relative to other boots I have owned. That being said, My pair of Iron Rangers are much better traction wise with the Vibram 430 Sole, but I like these Grant Stones a lot as well.

moktabe

One of the Regulars
C202B941-1904-40CC-9111-61222EBE10CB_4_5005_c.jpeg
4D027FA2-2F56-4D18-9509-920DF19A8D01_4_5005_c.jpeg
71CB046B-7897-4F69-8E08-E96E0B237C19_4_5005_c.jpeg
Have a pair of these sat up at Aero to try on when I go up to collect my jackets, if they fit then they'll be coming back home with me.
According to the blurb they're made from exceptionally heavy Chromexcel Steerhide so should be quite substantial.

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 353704 View attachment 353705 View attachment 353706 Have a pair of these sat up at Aero to try on when I go up to collect my jackets, if they fit then they'll be coming back home with me.
According to the blurb they're made from exceptionally heavy Chromexcel Steerhide so should be quite substantial.

As memory serves, when Aero first did these in the eighties, they were based on (West) German Army motorcycle boots. I've seen several variants of the originals over the years, both shearling and leather lined, some with a side-zip for ease of putting them on / taking them off. The current Aero version is the pull on with shearling. The key element that plants the design firmly post-war is the buckle at the top. Those were added to the standard German Army boots after WW2, hence being known in some circles as "democracy buckles". I can imagine these would be fantastic for very cold weather. Certainly I'd be seriously looking at a pair if my Beijing teaching moved back to December as one it was!

When you see how well made these are, I do wish Aero did an engineer boot (albeit I understand they may feel the market for those is limited). Would love to see what these looked like with the addition of a strap round the ankle. The dark brown is a stunning, rich colour on these, if you do take them home it'll be interesting to see how it ages.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
2913DB99-2576-453D-B7CD-3F0BA0F7111C.jpeg
I completed my Nick’s at-home fitting today. I learned A LOT about my own feet and how a boot should fit. The Nick’s process was pretty easy, and they chose the perfect fit on the first try. I was surprised to be fit with my normal length (in Aldens and Red Wings) but in a wide instead of regular width. Now to wait for the new boots to arrive in a few months when the leather is restocked.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^ Nice, I did the Nick's Boot try on process back last summer (2020) and actually found the Try-on pair of boots to be much too tight! There were stamped 11 A's!! I could barely (just barely) get them on, hardly could lace them, and well, I called a friend to come help me take them off. This is not a joke. Fortuntley he was the friend who also helped with my foot tracings & ankle/leg measurements. So something with the tracings & measurements got a little too snug.

On the phone with them (with the boots on) I expressed my situation, and finally simply said -- In "White's" I consistently wear 11 - 11.5 "C" as my feet are slightly narrow, and have just enough room for wool socks. Let's go with that size. And what came 3 months later fit perfectly!

I am still glad I did the try-on process, I learned a lot too, but I also realized sometimes experance is a good teacher.

Is there a Nick's or White's dealer in Anchorage? I thought there was (when i visited in 2011) but I may be mistaken. White's do run just a bit longer then Nick's overall in my experance.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
^^ Nice, I did the Nick's Boot try on process back last summer (2020) and actually found the Try-on pair of boots to be much too tight! There were stamped 11 A's!! I could barely (just barely) get them on, hardly could lace them, and well, I called a friend to come help me take them off. This is not a joke. Fortuntley he was the friend who also helped with my foot tracings & ankle/leg measurements. So something with the tracings & measurements got a little too snug.

On the phone with them (with the boots on) I expressed my situation, and finally simply said -- In "White's" I consistently wear 11 - 11.5 "C" as my feet are slightly narrow, and have just enough room for wool socks. Let's go with that size. And what came 3 months later fit perfectly!

I am still glad I did the try-on process, I learned a lot too, but I also realized sometimes experance is a good teacher.

Is there a Nick's or White's dealer in Anchorage? I thought there was (when i visited in 2011) but I may be mistaken. White's do run just a bit longer then Nick's overall in my experance.
I’m not sure… Anchorage is almost a thousand miles away from me. This is a big state!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider