Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I am eyeballing these as my next boot purchase. Love my engineers but maybe it’s time to be a cowboy. Hard for a city slicker to pull off a cowboy boots? I think this style blurs the line a little as they’re not a total traditional cowboy boot but you can definitely tell that’s they style category they fall into.

black bear brand collab with Rios of Mercedes

View attachment 379264 View attachment 379265 View attachment 379266
I really like those a ton. I considered them but am just to nervous about mto. Asked black bear to help with fit. Wasn’t a question of length or with but rather instep. They referred me to Rios. Rios referred me to a vendor. They were no help. Only thing i could think of was to order a similar pair of rios to see how they fit and then return them and pay restocking fee and shipping. In the end I ordered Lucchese ropers. I think engineers look boss but i can’t find an otr pair that fits well. I think i have low volume/instep feer.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I have several pairs of RM Williams dress boots (Craftsman) as well as the Gardener, which is more like Blundies. But my absolute favorite model is the Lachlan. I slip these on most days in summer. It’s on the Craftsman last and had the same chisel toe but in an oiled leather with the thicker Gardener sole and heel.

View attachment 379292

Also worth a mention are Redbacks, which are still made in Oz. Blundies outsourced production to Asia over a decade ago.
About 80% of my coworkers wear redbacks daily.

jglf

A-List Customer
I really like those a ton. I considered them but am just to nervous about mto. Asked black bear to help with fit. Wasn’t a question of length or with but rather instep. They referred me to Rios. Rios referred me to a vendor. They were no help. Only thing i could think of was to order a similar pair of rios to see how they fit and then return them and pay restocking fee and shipping. In the end I ordered Lucchese ropers. I think engineers look boss but i can’t find an otr pair that fits well. I think i have low volume/instep feer.
That’s pretty bad CS. Not sure I would want to gamble when even the manufacturer can’t recommend sizing.

Psant25

One Too Many

I size up in my cowboy boots compared to my usual boot so I ordered more “true to size”

Im about a 10d on a brannock.

I wear a 10D honcho, lucchese, rios (i hope lol as i ordered custom).

Wear a 10D blundstones think it is actually a 9UK

I take a 9.5D whites, alden indy, wesco, RW.

I wear a 10-10.5 sneaker depending on maker. I feel nike and NB run a little small.

How did you size the Lucchese boots and did they fit?

sizing is difficult I feel like every store has little differences compared to other stores (s/s, snake oil, butterschotch, ship john, franklin pope, etc) with what they say in the common boots above. For example division road saying size down 1.5 from a common us boot or shoe for whites lol no way. Some are ever so slightly long or short but negligible i suppose as a full size is what like 1/3 of an inch in length

Edit: i want to try trickers, viberg, and also dundas boots but nervous about fit so once i find something that fits i keep rolling with it

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I size up in my cowboy boots compared to my usual boot so I ordered more “true to size”

Im about a 10d on a brannock.

I wear a 10D honcho, lucchese, rios (i hope lol as i ordered custom).

Wear a 10D blundstones think it is actually a 9UK

I take a 9.5D whites, alden indy, wesco, RW.

I wear a 10-10.5 sneaker depending on maker. I feel nike and NB run a little small.

How did you size the Lucchese boots and did they fit?

sizing is difficult I feel like every store has little differences compared to other stores (s/s, snake oil, butterschotch, ship john, franklin pope, etc) with what they say in the common boots above. For example division road saying size down 1.5 from a common us boot or shoe for whites lol no way. Some are ever so slightly long or short but negligible i suppose as a full size is what like 1/3 of an inch in length

Edit: i want to try trickers, viberg, and also dundas boots but nervous about fit so once i find something that fits i keep rolling with it
I’ll double check my lucchese when i get home. I’m a brannock 10 d. Rw 9.5 but IR in 9. Blundstone 10 us. Whites semi 9. Lofgren, wolverine, and wesco 9.5

Last edited:

Psant25

One Too Many
Whites 55 last 8 in boot in distress ro. Really digging this leather and wish i would have tried a soft toe sooner in the thick leather
4703851F-0609-4CFB-8981-E0080A944EA0.jpeg

Psant25

One Too Many
@RL204 i see tecovas released a boot just now. kinda like what you are looking for square toe double row stitch block heel. Just leather not crepe sole. Stock with free returns and like 250 bucks might be worth trying before you dive in.

https://www.tecovas.com/products/the-doc?variant=40814265598147

edit: maybe you wanted round toe i guess black bear has both. Either way cool boots I was thinking of buying a pair maybe the vibram wedge sole for chores (take dogs out lol)

Last edited:

RL204

One of the Regulars
@RL204 i see tecovas released a boot just now. kinda like what you are looking for square toe double row stitch block heel. Just leather not crepe sole. Stock with free returns and like 250 bucks might be worth trying before you dive in.

https://www.tecovas.com/products/the-doc?variant=40814265598147

edit: maybe you wanted round toe i guess black bear has both. Either way cool boots I was thinking of buying a pair maybe the vibram wedge sole for chores (take dogs out lol)

Thanks for the suggestion. I found a local boot maker that I’m going to check out later this week.
https://www.albertaboot.com/

apparently there’s a custom cowboy boot maker right in my city. Time to take advantage.

Edward

Bartender

Trickers are very definitely quality stuff. Uber-traditional, British country-wear. Bit of a workwear feel, though their traditional customer base are unlikely ever to have done much in the way of manual labour. ;)

That’s pretty bad CS. Not sure I would want to gamble when even the manufacturer can’t recommend sizing.

I know I'd be wary myself of ordering something custom-made by mail. I can see all the same a reluctance to advise sizing by mail as well with custom garments. 90% of the problems I've ever seen with mail-order anything made to measure have been to do with sizing problems. I wouldn't want to be the company who ended up with a big pile of returns because the sizing didn't work for the buyer. A pain if it's OTR, but if it's custom, that must get really hard to sell on. Particularly an issue with engineers, in my experience, as no two companies I've experienced make an engineer that fits exactly the same. Lace-up boots are a lot more forgiving on the variation of the human foot.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
Won't lose those in the dark! ;) I do like the lace-to-toe shape of these. Are the soles curved?
Yes - the soles are curved - it actually makes them v comfy once broken in and although they are incredibly sturdy it doesnt feel like that and the fit seems v natural. The curve actually helps with the “roll” of the stride, if that makes sense….

matchankh

One of the Regulars
Wasn’t planning on getting any new boots but when some flame panda ready stock pops up it’s hard to resist. Second pair of flame panda I have handled and again the construction is absolutely perfect.

The 181 last is much nicer than the 141 last I had imo. No fancy horsebutt just good old CXL but the leather lining still makes them feel like tanks.

52B8251D-B10E-4C85-8EB3-83547E194A0D.jpeg
32AE1F81-39D0-467C-B8F6-23AFC443C30B.jpeg
51B5DF17-5068-4774-9AB2-638632A15BB0.jpeg
12178618-E97C-4E9D-8143-BB52CE85B8D1.jpeg
EE5255F2-733F-45AB-BD2C-1425495C043E.jpeg
9A5DE429-0EB7-4CEE-9DAB-3A11D924C44C.jpeg
4DDF1371-E36E-4213-95DA-54A1595CDEDA.jpeg

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Wasn’t planning on getting any new boots but when some flame panda ready stock pops up it’s hard to resist. Second pair of flame panda I have handled and again the construction is absolutely perfect.

The 181 last is much nicer than the 141 last I had imo. No fancy horsebutt just good old CXL but the leather lining still makes them feel like tanks.

View attachment 379895 View attachment 379896 View attachment 379897 View attachment 379898 View attachment 379899 View attachment 379900 View attachment 379901

Wow this is simply perfect, love the black super grip full soles. Congrats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21