Footwear to go with our jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by red devil, Nov 4, 2017.

1. andyone

andyone One of the Regulars

Thanks for your feedback!
    I think I will try to slip in a JL at VMC in Zurich.
    Good to know that you sized up 0.5 from Attractions to JL.

Jin431 and Boyo like this.
  2. Edward

Edward Bartender

All my leather soles get a thin, glued-on rubber player over the sole pretty early on - either after a wear or two if they're a pair I'm precious about, or otherwise as soon as they first need the heels done. very thin, but I've yet to wear through them even when the heels need done two or three times.

3. Harris HTM

Harris HTM One Too Many

I've done this only once and this led to an annoying squeaking of the right shoe (probably some relative slide at the interface of the extra rubber layer and the leather sole). In general I tend to use more my toes while walking and, in combination with stiff soles, the leather soles wear fast at the toe area. In order to avoid unnecessary resoling I always have lulu steel plates installed at any new pair of shoes with leather soles. Not cheap and you have to find a really competent cobbler who can do this nicely.

20211122_140355.jpg

Jin431, Angel, red devil and 4 others like this.
  4. Bfd70

Bfd70 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Does it click clack when you walk?

5. Harris HTM

Harris HTM One Too Many

The steel plate? It depends on the surface but in general yes. I never wear shoes on wooden floors, I'd be afraid they might leave marks.

JoeNiblick, Edward and Bfd70 like this.
  6. Edward

Edward Bartender

Nicely done. I have some hobnail boots that are a more extreme version of this somewhere, though I tend not to wear them so often, as they're like skating on a smooth floor!

I tend to step with my heel first very much, so that probably is why that's where mine always rub fastest.

7. Schambach

Schambach One of the Regulars

Those are lovely. How does the arch support compare to the Whites?

8. jglf

jglf One of the Regulars

Whites has a lot more arch support. I haven’t worn them long enough to know which type of arch support I’ll prefer.

Unfortunately, the Wesco’s are being sent back to fix the zig zag stitching that’s unraveling at the back of the boot where both upper leathers meet.

The PNW makers really need to up their qc. All of mine have sloppy/loose stitching, uneven leather panels, and very rough finishing.

I have a pair of santalum boots on order bc they seem to be the only Indo maker using leather thick enough to be unlined.

9. Bfd70

^that’s too bad to hear

10. Marc mndt

Marc mndt I'll Lock Up

Lofgren roughout engineers, pretty cool. Order now and you'll receive them last year lol.

DD416B46-04EC-47DE-9486-9563BD225C3A.jpeg 131C316F-25A4-4D88-9CA5-476B229976A0.jpeg 56C0AED3-EFA4-49B7-BF52-C1C5AB04B138.jpeg

11. Marc mndt

Marc mndt I'll Lock Up

I wonder why they call themselves John Lofgren EU. Prices are in Sterling Pounds and it seems like they don't do VAT deduction. I might as well order straight from Japan.

E01EDED8-13BC-434D-936E-31D9178146F8.jpeg

12. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman One Too Many

Update on my 3345 Blacksmiths. @Hh121

IMG_20211125_085226.jpg IMG_20211125_085313.jpg IMG_20211125_085322.jpg IMG_20211125_085333.jpg IMG_20211125_085352.jpg

13. Ole K. Vik

Ole K. Vik One of the Regulars

My latest catch, the brown overdyed Clinch Yeager from BSW. Grail boot numero uno.
    20211118_095618.jpg

14. Bfd70

Ding ding ding ^ we have a winner.

15. Turnip

Turnip Call Me a Cab

16. Psant25

Psant25 One Too Many

got some boots coming:

Could not pass whites sale got a mp boot coming was in stock (hate waiting) cinnamon waxed flesh. Plain toe no cap. The cap toe mp pinched my toes a little where the cap toe leather started. Hope i dont have that same problem with the plain toe. Love the service boot look with 1/2 lug sole.

still waiting on my rios of mercedes boots going on 8 months…

Have a whites rebuild coming. They were 8 inch farmer rancher on a 55 last. Was going to change to a wedge sole like the rambler. Changed my mind and emailed them (might be too late) want a 700 sole low block heel single row stitch 55 last soft toe

Jin431 likes this.
  17. jglf

jglf One of the Regulars

Unfortunately, their MP last doesn’t work with my feet. They pinch my toes too much and the heel is too roomy.

Jin431 likes this.
  18. Psant25

Psant25 One Too Many

Have you found a service boot that works? Lofgren, viberg, dayton, oakstreet, etc ?

whites mp boot on 55 last would probably work I had one just sold it. Dont know why lol great boot.

Jin431 likes this.
  19. jglf

jglf One of the Regulars

The white’s 55 last fits me pretty well although it does tend to have a lot of room in the toe box in both height and width. Almost feels a little sloppy because of so much room although the ball and heel area feel good. I have a pair in the c461 last on order and will compare when they arrive in 4-9 months, lol.

My Wesco’s in the mp1339 last are kind of the opposite of the 55last in that the toe box is very low and the waist is very narrow, but since the ball is wide, they fit me well. Almost feels like a firm handshake surrounding my foot.

I had a pair of oak streets like 10 years ago and had some serious issues with them. They were lasted improperly and the insole kept detaching because they used cxl which is to oily to adhere. Lofgren’s are beautiful but I prefer stitchdown or hand lasted boots. Not a fan of Viberg’s styling and build quality for the price.

marker2037, Jin431 and Psant25 like this.
  20. Monitor

Monitor

So I spent two months waiting for the Black Friday, with a pair of SLP boots sitting in the cart, calculating how much the discount will be, only to realize that the big houses quite possibly aren't even aware that Black Friday is a thing. Saint Laurent made no mention of it, neither did Balenciaga nor anyone who's anyone. Their stuff remained where it was on pretty much every online vendor with only cheap junk getting discounted. So there goes my Black Friday discount hunt.

marker2037 and Jin431 like this.