Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

matchankh

One of the Regulars
Shoutout to Rizky at Onderhoud. Just received the engineer remake made with the Maryam 1071 Horsebutt overdye black.

The leather on the first pair I received was bad. Grain was really loose on the left boot across the entire vamp as soon as I put it on.
This second pair seems to be much better.

There is always chance for things to go wrong when it comes to handmade leather product. Rizky was very understanding and offered me a remake right away. Leather on the new pair seems to be a lot better. Really happy with how they turned out.

BC3F5D19-13C8-4319-9C5B-573D42C31FCF.jpeg

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I started this thread looking for ideas as to what to wear with the jackets we spend so much time and ressources on... And the answer is, unsurprisingly, a rabbit hole lol

It is also easy to switch hobbies, and start focusing on footwear more than jackets, there is as much variety there if not more. And we do spend more time wearing footwear than jackets as well...

That being said, in my case, it stayed as a complement to the jackets. My focus is still mainly on jackets which is why I bought this pair. It is made of shark skin just like the jacket.

Playing the matching game can be quite fun :D

R1ooFwf.jpg

glMzums.jpg

dCBwMji.jpg

HQYtAFz.jpg

M8CtmF1.jpg

Spot the difference

rncvlJW.jpg

PFKqMuA.jpg

Yep, I got different harnesses to play with :)

1drlcPz.jpg

The review of the jacket is coming, I will edit in later :)

I5f3NMi.jpg

Edit: jacket thread here

Last edited:

willyto

One Too Many
You've got some cojones to wear that and look like it's not wearing you. Great stuff although the harness boots aren't my kind of thing I appreciate them.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You've got some cojones to wear that and look like it's not wearing you. Great stuff although the harness boots aren't my kind of thing I appreciate them.

They are fun! I liked harness boots since trying to wear some HD ones as a teenager. It is thanks to @Monitor that I found a shape that I like and can use :)

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Inspired by the Cobbler stories in the Find and Deals thread, here is my local cobbler story:

IMG_7843.JPG

This pair of brogue was made in North Hamptons from a brand that goes back hundreds of years. It originally had a commando sole that has worn down in the heel. So I took it to my local cobbler, Varsity Shoe Repair in Vancouver.
When I started going there it was an older guy in his 60s. Now he has retired and another older guy in his 50/60s has taken over. The original cobbler charged me C$60 (US$45) for the resole job with (Italian) Vibram soles. The same job was quoted 2.5 times more from other cobblers ran by younger (30s) kids.
I get it, when I was younger, I also wanted to get rich fast. But it seems even more extreme these days.
It also seems that sneaker culture has taken over in every age group. Even my conservative 80 years old parents are switching over to sneakers.
I am holding out for as long as I can. Swapping leather soles and dainite/commando soles for sneaker ish vibram soles. My new "old timer" cobbler charges me $15 more now (to keep up with the times), but still less than half what the other snobby kids charges. If you are in Vancouver, look up Varsity Shoe Repair for your shoe needs, he's out by UBC.

lopo

One of the Regulars
Why don’t you wear the Red Wings ?
I wore the 1912 for a while. I can't wear the RW Beckman boots from the years 2004-2010 because the half soles are falling apart.
you can break the soles with your thumbnail, for example. see pic.
I had bought all colors/models from the Beckman series. All have the same problem, the half soles fall apart when walking.
Although the soles didn't have a label, I trusted the Red Wing quality.
I still like to wear the mocs with the white cristy soles.
I threw away the Beckmans :mad:, I only have the 1912/1913 cherry now.
RW1912 sole:V-kompr.jpg

marker2037

Practically Family
MTO Truman Uplands in olive waxed flesh arrived.

I ordered these back in December on a whim. For years now, I always wanted to give Truman a try, but I could never quite pull the trigger for one reason or another. I’m very happy that I finally did. These boots are fantastic and surprisingly better put together than I was expecting. Not a single stitch out of place that I could find.

CA245E9A-C88F-480A-ADF3-08FB209FA632.jpeg

3C04DC34-43D2-4368-95DA-C4614903B6DB.jpeg

9B1C8397-C6D0-4CD1-8896-5EB75BF6797B.jpeg

015BFC47-EEB9-4891-85B0-78726FE1F7B9.jpeg

3022D366-71E4-443F-88F7-65E040F8BA6E.jpeg

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
For those who own western boots, who would you recommend for hand tooled leather?

Looking at something of the sort, these are from Heritage boots

View attachment 408597

View attachment 408598

View attachment 408599
You might want to check out Rocketbuster boots. Also if you have the time check out http://dimlights.com/custom-boots/cowboyboot-makers/ it is a list by state of all the hand made boot craftsmen in the US by state. I would review Texas (Rocketbuster, JB Hill), Arizona (Paul Bond Boots) and California but there are quite a few craftspeople all over the country. It's a detailed site and you can learn quite a lot about these boots which will help before ordering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112