Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Ah, great info there! Thank you!

Looking into spurs now. I don´t think, I will actually have to buy them. Just mentioning the plan should do the trick at home...:)

Schambach

Practically Family
^^ One of the best photos on FL - in my opinion anyway! :)

Well, I just fished an offer on a newly resoled/bottomed pair of Chippewa Engineers, and it was accepted!!

So I should soon see these...
View attachment 537953
Those look great! Let me know how they work out for you. I'd love another pair of engineers, but don't want to deal with the wesco wait, or the crazy expense on the japanese stuff. Starting to look around for other options, vintage knapps, red wings, chippewas...

mvilla

A-List Customer
I love everything about these boots! A bit more outspoken than your Fortela / Rios ropers, I like that.

Also, getting Clinch boots' sizing right is impossible without having the possibility to try them on. Their lasts are very much shaped and therefore there isn't much wiggle room, either they fit perfectly or they don't fit at all. These Conrad boots are made on their MR last and are a size 9 Clinch which is supposed to be size 8 US. That doesn't make any sense because I wear a size 42 (=US 9) from pretty much every European maker. I also tried a pair of boots from their CN last, I needed to go up a full size and still they were a challenge to get on.

If you're looking for alternatives I can highly recommend Attractions lot 444 (I own a pair myself). They have a nice sleek shape, soft toes, nice and thick horsebutt leather and they're about half the price of a pair of Clinch engineers.

Slightly more expensive than Attractions but still great price : quality ratio are Rolling dub trio engineers.

Slightly different style but definitely worth looking into: black sign aviator boots (Made by skoob, one of the smaller Japanese makers, not yet hyped :))

Or the Skoob Wander Engineers
Just visited East West Apparel today and saw the Attractions Lofgren and Clinch in person. I couldn't, for the life of me, try the Clinches on lol
I'm pretty much in love with the Attractions, though... I'll get one when he restock my size in black

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Just visited East West Apparel today and saw the Attractions Lofgren and Clinch in person. I couldn't, for the life of me, try the Clinches on lol
I'm pretty much in love with the Attractions, though... I'll get one when he restock my size in black
Nice, I didn't know they had a showroom.

Yeah, the Clinch engineers have an extremely low instep.

Here's my attractions lot 444. Brand new vs 9 months of regular wear.

IMG_4124.jpeg
IMG_6680.jpeg
IMG_6683.jpeg

4444Design

One of the Regulars
Good eye. I've been wanting a pair of button boots for some time but most of them come with a zipper because buttoning them is somewhat cumbersome. But I strongly dislike zippers on boots.

View attachment 525112

i personally hate zippers on boots as well - the look of those buttons needs some time to get used to it though

thickness of the leather makes the "buttoniung procedure" kind of special - or?

Jasonissm

Practically Family
They came with this brass hook that helps to pull the buttons through the hole. The buttons are attached by elastic band which makes the job a lot easier.

Now that they're broken in I can button them up by hand without using the tool.
View attachment 538634 View attachment 538635
Which shop did you get these boots at by the way, I might check them out!

That reminds me of the Kapital tool for buttoning up stiff denim, I'd be worried about it getting snagged on the eyelet stitching or something though.

1692253071080.png

Last edited:

Schambach

Practically Family
My first post in this thread, but I think it's warranted as these are definitely boots to go with my leather jackets. I'd been looking around for a while for a pair of black engineer boots without much luck. I love Wescos, but I prefer the mp toe to what normally comes on the boss, and their wait is something like a year and a half these days. But I was thinking of just biting the bullet and ordering, so I could get cool custom bits like a knife pocket, and something other than white thread. But still, that's a long wait, so I was looking for alternatives. I'd talked to @AeroFan_07 briefly about his very nice looking Chippewas, but it looked like they were sold.

I was in an antique store in a little town in the Catskills and noticed they had some leather jackets in a dark back room, so of course I had to have a look. And as usual, it was all cheap stuff, some of it not even leather. But I happened to look down and saw a pair of boots. I figured they might be plastic as well, but picked them up anyway. They were heavy, they were Wescos. Unused Wescos. There was no size marked, assuming they are custom, but they looked about right. I tried them on, and the damned things fit. I still can't believe it. Knife pocket too, and something other than white thread. Sometimes you get lucky!

Attachments

• IMG_4516.jpg
    IMG_4516.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4517.jpg
    IMG_4517.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 67

TLW '90

Practically Family
I bought these Jim green Vellies with summer in mind, but it's looking like I may need to wear thicker socks with them which means jacket weather.
20230911_135856.jpg

That might not be a bad thing though because they just may go pretty well with my pioneer wear vest and jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925