Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

Harris HTM

One Too Many
True. I think if you want a Goodyear welted shoe, Meermin offers a good looking shoe for a competitive price. However, I'd rather buy rapid Blake stitched shoes in same price range, but with higher attention to detail. Like velasca milano:
https://eu.velasca.com/pages/boots-and-ankle-boots
Or calzature belfiore :
https://www.calzaturebelfiore.com/categoria-scarpe/uomo/stivaletti-e-polacchini/
Or cardinale :
https://www.cardinalescarpe.it/it/collezione/stivaletto-uomo.html
the past few years I've realized that less is more: it's better to save and go for a better quality item (to the extend of one's finances ofcourse) rather than getting more items of lesser quality. That's why the last years I go for either Alden Shells or british shoes (C&J, Cheaney, G0 Grensons, etc) with the sporadic exception of impulse buys at the lower end of the spectrum (Barker, Loake, Carlos Santos). However, if you're on a tight budget (a pair of Alden Shells in the EU costs more than the minimum monthly wage of half of the European countries) I recommend the Meermins and Herring own series.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
True. I think if you want a Goodyear welted shoe, Meermin offers a good looking shoe for a competitive price. However, I'd rather buy rapid Blake stitched shoes in same price range, but with higher attention to detail. Like velasca milano:
https://eu.velasca.com/pages/boots-and-ankle-boots
Or calzature belfiore :
https://www.calzaturebelfiore.com/categoria-scarpe/uomo/stivaletti-e-polacchini/
Or cardinale :
https://www.cardinalescarpe.it/it/collezione/stivaletto-uomo.html

I am a bit out of the loop in terms of dress shoes, but I do remember Belfiore as I visited their shop in Milan a few times. It was always busy.

How do the other 2 brands compare? Are they in a similar level?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I am a bit out of the loop in terms of dress shoes, but I do remember Belfiore as I visited their shop in Milan a few times. It was always busy.

How do the other 2 brands compare? Are they in a similar level?
Qualitywise they are on par. In style, cardinale is a bit more conservative, velasca is a bit more fashionable.

These are a pair of belfiore's. Absolutely perfect allover. Only €209
40E985EF-9D6E-41F9-97FB-23950C6F9BD7.jpeg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
the past few years I've realized that less is more: it's better to save and go for a better quality item (to the extend of one's finances ofcourse) rather than getting more items of lesser quality. That's why the last years I go for either Alden Shells or british shoes (C&J, Cheaney, G0 Grensons, etc) with the sporadic exception of impulse buys at the lower end of the spectrum (Barker, Loake, Carlos Santos). However, if you're on a tight budget (a pair of Alden Shells in the EU costs more than the minimum monthly wage of half of the European countries) I recommend the Meermins and Herring own series.
Couldn't agree more, less is definitely more.

For me, c&j has the sweetspot in terms of price and quality. Edward green, Gaziano and gerling, st Crispin etc. are twice the money but certainly not twice the quality. Also, I enjoy wearing my c&js much more. I don't wear my Edward greens if there's even the slightest possibly of rainy weather. I baby them way too much.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Qualitywise they are on par. In style, cardinale is a bit more conservative, velasca is a bit more fashionable.

These are a pair of belfiore's. Absolutely perfect allover. Only €209 View attachment 244426

Thanks! Really appreciate it, and yes this pair looks good! I think I will drop by the shop when next in Milan!
Don't wear dress shoes much these days, but am thinking that a new pair could be a good incentive to wear them more often, even for more mundane trips

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Thanks! Really appreciate it, and yes this pair looks good! I think I will drop by the shop when next in Milan!
Don't wear dress shoes much these days, but am thinking that a new pair could be a good incentive to wear them more often, even for more mundane trips
I love visiting these small old-school artisan shops in Italy. Belfiore has been there since 1953. One of their sales associates is this lovely old lady who doesn't speak one word of English but that didn't matter, she knew exactly what I needed. I have been told that she has been working there since 1957 and that she has been honered by the city of Milan. 2515424A-98CE-491B-877A-6EAD0D8CB4E8.jpeg 3D35D163-F39F-44BE-8DB5-B68FA664400C.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
Same to me...it's kinda odd that we spend so much money on leather jackets but won't spend a similar amount for just on pair of boots (an Aero jacket cost me as much as Vibergs...) even if they are also long-lasting and the chance that they fit you in 10 years is 100% whereas you never know if you loose or gain weight.

I remember Tom Baker talking about doing some TV clip - charity or an ad or something - in his Doctor Who person twenty odd years later, and he went back to the original costume to fidn only the hat and the boots still fitted. I hear you on that - I've fluctated in weight over the years, but I've been wearing the same shoe size since I was fifteen (three generations of us now on my dad's side - I have one pair of shoes that I wear that my paternal grandfather bought in, I think, the early 70s or late 60s).

I find how much I spend is based in large part on a calculation relating to quality of material, asembly, how much wear and for how long I'll get out of it... The bottom price rung is typically dictated by the simple fact that so few of the things I want to wear are available in a 'budget' range. Not me being snobby, just that my aesthetic preferences are rare enough that the low-price mainstream doesn't cater for them. Beyond that, my limit varies. Aero are my go to - and price limit - for leather jackets. I've not spent *really* big on boots yet, but once I'm sure of my sizing, I wouldl ike to pick up a few pairs of Wesco engineers. Also got my eye on some Lewis Westways...

Outerwear is sort of a separate forum but there a few boots threads in “General Attire...” if someone is looking for inspiration.

Yes, it's a sad thing that.... we'd really love to see Outerwear regulars actually venturing beyond this room and joining in with relevant discussions elsewhere instead of treating this as a go-to for everything. The forum is for everyone who has an interest in even part of the relevant era; you don't have to be all in, all the time.

The engineer boots thread is quite interesting and a it’s frequented by a few people that regularly post here.

It is indeed - we'd like to see more!

Hop over to the other side guys, while checking out boots you might also stumble across some other interesting threads and before you know it the “woolly pully” becomes your new fixation!

Absolutely - come in, the water's lovely! ;)

I think we all go through a phase where we want 'one of everything', whatever the new interest is - guitars, fountain pens, boots, leather jackets.... Over time, an interest matures, you find the styles and things that are "yours", and then it's time to think quality over quantity.... I'm not at the point of thinning down my show collection from 76 pairs to half that number of really good ones.... fun times!

Yes, it's a sad thing that.... we'd really love to see Outerwear regulars actually venturing beyond this room and joining in with relevant discussions elsewhere instead of treating this as a go-to for everything. The forum is for everyone who has an interest in even part of the relevant era; you don't have to be all in, all the time.

Funny thing - I always wanted to but I feel like the rest of the forum doesn't like us jacket people much. I always have this feeling the Outerwear forum lost the 50's vibe, which is ultimately what this forum is about and that the lot of us here basically hijacked the place. I also noticed that the posts in the rest of the place are more in the spirit of the Golden Era, with most of the regulars there never posting anything in the Outerwear.

I dunno, I could be wrong... And the fact remains that this pretty much is the only (good) place to discuss leather jackets in general online, one that's most friendly, helpful and doesn't look down on cheap brands or fashion. Styleforum is more fashionable with a certain vibe, SuFu has a thing of their own too, Reddit is amateur hour, VLJ is mostly about war gear (and some of the members are... really passionate about their A-2's to put it lightly) and that's about it. With FilmJackets gone, this place is all we got. :D

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Same to me...it's kinda odd that we spend so much money on leather jackets but won't spend a similar amount for just on pair of boots (an Aero jacket cost me as much as Vibergs...) even if they are also long-lasting and the chance that they fit you in 10 years is 100% whereas you never know if you loose or gain weight.
Of course we all have our own reasons, spending our money on x or y. But if you take the resale value into account, it makes sense spending less money on footwear than on leather jackets.

I've got a pair of Edward Green boots for sale, hardly worn and they look like new (apart from the soles). New they cost €1295. Highest bid I received was €250. Write off: €1045

Last December I sold an Eastman Californian jacket for €750. New it cost me €1200. Write off: €450

Buying an expensive jacket is a better investment. (Less worse)

Of course we all have our own reasons, spending our money on x or y. But if you take the resale value into account, it makes sense spending less money on footwear than on leather jackets.

I've got a pair of Edward Green boots for sale, hardly worn and they look like new (apart from the soles). New they cost €1295. Highest bid I received was €250. Write off: €1045

Last December I sold an Eastman Californian jacket for €750. New it cost me €1200. Write off: €450

Buying an expensive jacket is a better investment. (Less worse)

Yep, I too am not very keen onpaying crazy (read: jacket) prices for footwear, as nice as it is. And it is nice and I love boots! As much as jackets, maybe. But I go with the logic that I'll definitely and inevitably destroy it a lot sooner than I would any leather jacket so it breaks my heart paying top dollar for something I'll stomp around in.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I think we all go through a phase where we want 'one of everything', whatever the new interest is - guitars, fountain pens, boots, leather jackets.... Over time, an interest matures, you find the styles and things that are "yours", and then it's time to think quality over quantity
Exactly. I mainly buy oxfords, long wings and dress boots from 2 (expensive) brands now and whenever I feel I need to try a new style (such as a shearling lined boot) I usually go for a cheaper, though quality, option (such as Meermin). And every now and then I come across some great reductions (50% of even more, usually at the Herring website) of brands such as Barker and Loake (a better but more expensive option than Meermin) where I cannot say no.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
A suede shoe is something I had never tried, so when last year I came across the Barker Malton with a 60% sale I bought it. It has become one of my favourites, I've been drooling over a snuff suede Alden Long Wing for some time now, though I still hesitate due to our rainy weather here.
That's probably the main reason why I'm selling these EG's: The Dutch weather. If there's only the slightest chance of rainfall, I won't wear them because I want them to remain pristine. With less expensive suede dress shoes I don't care at all, shoes are made to be worn. With casual suede shoes, I actually prefer a well worn look like this:
589D0249-B8E1-42BD-80F3-992B77723E4C.jpeg

First time I heard about Barker shoes. Just checked their website, the handcrafted collection looks very nice. How do they compare with c&j?

Harris HTM

One Too Many
That's probably the main reason why I'm selling these EG's: The Dutch weather. If there's only the slightest chance of rainfall, I won't wear them because I want them to remain pristine. With less expensive suede dress shoes I don't care at all, shoes are made to be worn. With casual suede shoes, I actually prefer a well worn look like this: View attachment 245164

First time I heard about Barker shoes. Just checked their website, the handcrafted collection looks very nice. How do they compare with c&j?
I haven't tried any of their handcrafted collection, quality wise I'd say they are equal to Loake (if you've tried them), not as great as C&J (well, they also cost half) but way ahead of Meermin.

Edward

Bartender
A suede shoe is something I had never tried, so when last year I came across the Barker Malton with a 60% sale I bought it. It has become one of my favourites, I've been drooling over a snuff suede Alden Long Wing for some time now, though I still hesitate due to our rainy weather here.

Barker are among my favourites; I also really like Grenson shoes. I'll buy me some Trickers one day... My SJCs are fantastic shoes, and for engineers I'm very happy with my RedWings and Chippewa, though eventually I'll get some nice Wescos too.

I have one pair of suede shoes, which is a cheap SAmuel Windosr pair. They get a bad rep for being "cheap shoes", though I think that's somewhat unfair. I wore little else other than a pair of the brogues for eighteen months at one point before they started to go a bit - not bad for cheap shoes (comparable to my experience of DMs when they were still made in England). They're a shoe I wear so infrequently that there's little point paying for durability, I find. Perhaps if I wore them more in Summer it would be different, by at this tiem of year as a rule I prefer a nice co-respondent, or a two-tone penny loafer.

Penny loafers have been a big 'discovery' for me in the last five years or so. I was not a fan of slip on shoes for years (my dad, by contrast, rarely wears anything else) until I cracked and bought a pair of two-tone B&W Bass Weejuns on deep discount for the purposes of wearing them during 'travel season' for work (April-early July, most years I do at least four long-haul flights to Beijing for a week to ten days at a time). I spend so much time taking shoes on and off at airport security, it just seemed a good idea. Having purchased them for that convenience (and the convenience of slipping shoes off and on during long haul flights), I discovered I really enjoyed them, to the point where I now have three or four pairs, including solid colours for Winter. Also great for taking the dog out really early in the morning when I'm still too dozy to think about laces! Now at the point of thinking of buying some higher end pairs of these from the lieks of the Grenson 'made in England' series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points