Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

Edward

Bartender
Not a boot but a new accessory from redwing Japan that I've been seeing a lot of.
I'm sure it will not be for everyone's taste but for some people this might be interesting.

View attachment 284738

Used to see these in my local army surplus place back in the eighties, cut for German para boots as were all the rage then. Not a fan myself, but these ones actually look nicely done.

The tongues in my mocs are attached on the sides, do the zippers keep out snow? What is their function?

Speed and convenience. Why deal with lacing and re-lacing boots all the time when you can just zip and go? That sort of thing. I've not been a fan in the past, but I could see the attraction of these (and aesthetically, these ones are much nicer than any I've seen before) for airport use. I tend to fly in penny loafers for convenience, but if these made it easier in boots, that would be a plus in Winter. Not that I'll be flying this side of December 2021, but....

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
309C8E75-005D-4FA8-B522-2F322EA53365.jpeg
3B6CB1C6-1BB7-46BD-8A17-A97B989D4EBA.jpeg
24F1014E-1C0D-4049-AE17-6D81A2074047.jpeg
I can't understand a lick of Japanese and there were no subtitles but the guy who was doing the demo looks like he just put on the accessory to do away with the whole routine of tying your laces and how easy it was to slip your boot on/off
Zipper in front of tongue. It just makes boots that stay tight up the ankle easy to get on and off. They stay waterproof

I can totally see how this would speed up airport screenings...and for taller boots, they make sense. For mocs, maybe not quite as much, here in SoCal they would look a bit out of place. Especially with the cuffs and loud socks- overkill.

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
How would I go about checking out a pair of these?
That's the rub with the Indonesian makers. It requires a ton of faith. For Renav, you contact them via DM on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/renavgoodsco/
You select the boot/shoes you want. They ask you to trace your foot and provide measurements. You pay 1/2 via Paypal. You anxiously wait 5-6 weeks second guessing your decisions and praying you measured correctly. You receive a DHL shipping notification. And when you open your box that glorious day your order finally arrives, all your worries evaporate as you behold a work of art. Or something like that.

Edward

Bartender
Bison boots from Renav just landed. Build quality is excellent for $400. These are dope. Can’t wait to break them in.
View attachment 285052 View attachment 285053

Those look superb. I do love the look of a grained leather on a simple design. When I was a kid, grained leather and/or brogue patterning were both things parents looked out for as it made the inevitable scuffs kids would put on leather shoes less obvious!

That's the rub with the Indonesian makers. It requires a ton of faith. For Renav, you contact them via DM on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/renavgoodsco/
You select the boot/shoes you want. They ask you to trace your foot and provide measurements. You pay 1/2 via Paypal. You anxiously wait 5-6 weeks second guessing your decisions and praying you measured correctly. You receive a DHL shipping notification. And when you open your box that glorious day your order finally arrives, all your worries evaporate as you behold a work of art. Or something like that.

With the apparent quality coming out of some of these places now, somebody who could interface with a Western market such as us could be a big advantage for them. I'd certainly consider paying a little more on top of the price - say USD300 instead of USD250? If it meant a level of certainty as to sizing and communications.

Thinking about it more broadly, there's surely an opportunity for the Western market for someone to hunt out and bring to us at a fair rate a lot of the stuff being produced out there now? We all love to buy "first world" when we can, but as that rises and the disposable income most of us has does not rise in line with it....

If the guy in Beijing that made my shoes back in 2009 spoke a bit of English or had a partner who could do that and some basic web stuff, he could have quite the thriving business. Beautiful work.

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was able to try a pair of Sagara monkey boots at the Inazuma Festival Yokohama last year. I have been very interested in their monkey boots since I saw them on the internet. Did not know they were going to Inazuma so was pleasantly surprised. They had a booth and a few RTW for sale. Solid construction good price but cannot bring myself to buying them after seeing all those Japanese and US boots at the event.
To clarify a bit, everything there was on sale RM at 50% off Attractions 40% off and there were Rolling Dub Trio and Wheelrobe etc doing fire sale so Sagara's price wasn't that attractive anymore.

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can totally see how this would speed up airport screenings...and for taller boots, they make sense. For mocs, maybe not quite as much, here in SoCal they would look a bit out of place. Especially with the cuffs and loud socks- overkill.
The Japanese airports do require everyone wearing boots to take them off at the screening, no exception.

Goel

A-List Customer
I considered ID makers but for some reason a lot of their lasts don't look quite right to me after some close inspection. Flame Panda has some of the nicest looking lasts so I went with him. Speaking of which that zipper contraption looks pretty neat, I'm doing a 7 inch service boot but perhaps I could go all the way up to 8?

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
I considered ID makers but for some reason a lot of their lasts don't look quite right to me after some close inspection. Flame Panda has some of the nicest looking lasts so I went with him. Speaking of which that zipper contraption looks pretty neat, I'm doing a 7 inch service boot but perhaps I could go all the way up to 8?
Nice. I've got a couple irons in the flame panda fire...

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
He does make good looking pairs. I've been eyeing his lace to toe boot for a while now. Which boot/leather did you go with?
Black cloe horsebutt engineers. Burgundy horsebutt monkey/lace to toe boots. I’ve gone a little crazy these last 3 months ordering boots.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Wow, I'm sure those will be killer! How long is the production time now? Does he take a down payment or full payment right away? I. Thinking I should get in on the flamepanda train

Ayeteael

A-List Customer
FP requires payment up front. He sends an invoice via paypal. When i placed my 2nd order last month, production time had increased to approx. 150 days. it was 130 days when i ordered my first pair in early September. His popularity continues to grow. Eventually, his wait time may mirror Brian's (2 years).

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
^^ got it, thank you. that would not be surprising at all considering how highly thought of he is and his presence at social media

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21