Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have to admit not giving as much attention to my footwear as I have done for jackets so far, so now I am thinking to remedy this but... I am lacking in ideas.

Technically, we can wear almost any shoes or boots with our jackets as they are in general versatile. But ideally, we would want something as nice as the jackets we spend so much on. So here goes:

- Engineer boots: this is probably the quintessential boot to go with the jackets we wear.
- Work boots: another favourite
- Dress boots: wearing these takes the outfit in another direction, I personally like the look of Jodhpur boots.
- Dress shoes: getting more formal
- Sneakers: certainly not ideal but so damn convenient

So in my case, I have a pair of chippewa engineers but don't wear them that often. It's not a practical shoe to travel with as I always need a boot jack to take them off. How do you guys manage these?
I am thinking it might be interesting to get Lewis Leathers motorcycle boots with zippers such as the westway boots: http://www.lewisleathers.com/productinfo.html?code=boo-w10
Are these comfortable to walk with as well as riding?

No experience with work boots, should probably try something

Dress boots, I have a pair of Jodhpur boots that I like and wear more often then the chippewas but they can sometimes look a bit too dressy (dress shoes even more so). And they are not supposed to be worn everyday in any case.

Sneakers, I am guilty of wearing them much more often than I should. It's just very practical. But I would like to find an alternative.

I know this has probably been discussed many times, but I would be curious to take a fresh new look into this. So please share your experiences and your ideas :)

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I like Frye boots, but a few years ago they started offshoring production to Mexico and China. I'm not sure the quality is still there, and their sizing seems to have changed (I used to fit an 8D in Frye, now I'm a 9.)

There's also Wolverine 1000 Mile, which are made from Horween leather. I have owned cheaper Wolverine boots, and found them to be generally comfortable and of good quality, so I have no doubt that these are good, if pricey -- but comparable to expensive leather jackets if you're talking about pairing.

I've not owned Chippewa boots, but they look great, and I hear good things.

There's also Red Wing, and for more "fashion" focused people, Bed Stu.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Technically, we can wear almost any shoes or boots with our jackets as they are in general versatile. But ideally, we would want something as nice as the jackets we spend so much on. So here goes:
Well I can't see anything technical about it, but I agree that you can wear almost anything. Almost! Just because it's a leather jacket and not a made to measure suit doesn't mean that the standards of the rest of the ensemble have to fall: Two tone spectator shoes? You're kidding? Am I laughing?
leather.jpg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
This is what i wear 95% of the time. I also have some Red wing 2268 and 877 but don't wear them as much, the 2268 weigh a ton because of the steel toe, and the 877 are just not that comfortable.
Haven't owned sneakers in 10 years, don't wear dress shoes unless i wear a suit, and that happens twice a year.

Personally i was never impressed with the LL footwear, and i say that as a big fan of LL. They use a leather similar to their jackets, not a boot leather and IMO it feels very flimsy on your feet. The fit is also very weird, very long and thin.
I wouldn't pay that price for them when you can get some Red Wings for less.

q9zaZAd.jpg

Last edited:

tropicalbob

I like Frye boots, but a few years ago they started offshoring production to Mexico and China. I'm not sure the quality is still there, and their sizing seems to have changed (I used to fit an 8D in Frye, now I'm a 9.)

There's also Wolverine 1000 Mile, which are made from Horween leather. I have owned cheaper Wolverine boots, and found them to be generally comfortable and of good quality, so I have no doubt that these are good, if pricey -- but comparable to expensive leather jackets if you're talking about pairing.

I've not owned Chippewa boots, but they look great, and I hear good things.

There's also Red Wing, and for more "fashion" focused people, Bed Stu.
I'm with you on the Fryes. I still wear my Jackson Engineers that I got 20 years ago and two pairs of the Rand Lace-ups that are very nice and comfortable, but it seems like you have to pay top dollar these days for what used to be their more affordable and well-made styles. They also seem to have grown an addiction for zippers, putting them on styles that shouldn't have them. Lately we've had a few cooler days down here so I got to wear my Aero LHB to work, and I've been sporting my Thursday President boots with it. The Thursdays really are one of the best deals on the market.

red devil

Thanks for all the answers!! :)

Do you think the new Frye boots still decent quality, they have some nice designs

I'd recommend Viberg 8' engineer CXL leather. Shorter and wider opening. Easier to take off than those 11'. Soft toe and when covered up looks like cowboy or Pecos boots. No steel toe, not so hardcore.

That might be the compromise I am looking for! Thanks! :)
Viberg boots are about the same quality as Wesco aren't they?

Well I can't see anything technical about it, but I agree that you can wear almost anything. Almost! Just because it's a leather jacket and not a made to measure suit doesn't mean that the standards of the rest of the ensemble have to fall: Two tone spectator shoes? You're kidding? Am I laughing?
View attachment 92167

Maybe "Technically" was the wrong word :D

Personally i was never impressed with the LL footwear, and i say that as a big fan of LL. They use a leather similar to their jackets, not a boot leather and IMO it feels very flimsy on your feet. The fit is also very weird, very long and thin.
I wouldn't pay that price for them when you can get some Red Wings for less.

Thanks for pointing that out, that makes them much less interesting.
I guess you travel with your lace shoes and not engineers? Do you need a bootjack to remove your boots or they are soft enough by now?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for all the answers!! :)

Do you think the new Frye boots still decent quality, they have some nice designs

That's a good question... I'm really not sure. But at least one of the newer Frye boots that I've purchased feels like they're made from thinner leather than the Frye of old.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for pointing that out, that makes them much less interesting.
I guess you travel with your lace shoes and not engineers? Do you need a bootjack to remove your boots or they are soft enough by now?

For me it's not a question of travel or not. I actually prefer engineers and wear them 80% of the year.
I only wear the lace shoes if it is stupid hot or if i am going out and needing to look less casual.
Engineers are just the most comfortable shoes, especially with the crepe soles best boots i have owned.

Regarding Frye, i have had bad experience with them. I have had 4 pairs, all engineers.
They are a step under Red Wing and Chippewa IMO, synthetic insole instead of leather, plastic last, lesser quality leather.
One of my pair of brown 12R engineer had very weird leather that pretty much stretched to crap and fell apart.
And one of my pair of black 12R ones has leather that never broke in and looks like new vinyl even though they are old and beat up.
I wouldn't buy Frye boots anymore, at least not their regular 12R engineer ones.
Their fancy Horween engineers look to have a real leather last and quality leather, but they want silly money for them.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Nice thread! I usually wear my chippewa engineers with my schott perfecto's. For my Aero's I prefer my William Lennon work boots, I own 3 pairs at the 3 basic colours, black, brown and horween no8. Sometimes I also put on dress boots.
Everynow and then I combine my perfecto's with my all stars or high top retro basketball shoes, for a more Ramones or Thrash style.

sweetfights

I have Frye 6 inch- the leather is rather soft but not a bad choice for casual semi-dress. I do prefer and have several colors of Red Wing Beckman's. Great look and versatile.
I have Road Champ engineers in brown steerhide and RRL engineers in black (durable but not heavy). That covers about 95% of my living.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Generally, I hate boots. They are heavy, uncomfortable and clunky. I've tried many boots over the years. And ultimately always opt for leather chuck T's.

That's the spirit! I'm not into footwear full stop but I do wear $100 Blundstone style boots and have 7 pairs which I wear on rotation. I have not worn any other style of footwear for about 20 years. I thankfully have a job which allows me to wear whatever I want.

Gamma68

One Too Many
I have Frye 6 inch- the leather is rather soft but not a bad choice for casual semi-dress. I do prefer and have several colors of Red Wing Beckman's. Great look and versatile.
I have Road Champ engineers in brown steerhide and RRL engineers in black (durable but not heavy). That covers about 95% of my living.

I'm also a fan of the Red Wing Beckman boots. I have a pair in black cherry and think they're very versatile, can be dressed up or down. Not my photos below, but they will give you an idea of how they look after acquiring some patina.

4ab852461ed189afb089de829960310e.jpg

24f84592fcf7c69e1528a2701d79fc00.jpg

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I normally like to wear a simple classic shoe. My favorite two are the Allen Edmonds McNeil and Norwich in both brown and black. My old school favorites have always been wingtips! Some of this shoes look great after being used for over 30 years and that is due to the use of shoe trees and good conditioner. If I visit my friends at a nicer occasion I call for a clean a-2 and nicer wing type not picture here.
casual.jpg

Woodyear

Familiar Face
In the fall and winter I usually wear service boots, I have black Dayton service boots and brown Chippewa x jcrew service boots, both of which are perfect. In the summer and spring I wear clarks desert boots, leather chuck taylors or Sperry boat shoes, Jack Irwin loafers for suiting up. I've got some suede Chelsea boots from frye for going out and some Alden shell cordovan wingtip dress boots for suiting up when it's too cold for the loafers. Huge timberland work boots for dirty work and beating around. Mini Ugg boots for loafing around the house, they're amazingly comfortable in winter or summer as slippers and awesome when you need to take the trash out and it's too wet or cold for conventional slippers.

Basically I've got my shoe game down to a science.

The dogs bollocks

Familiar Face
For me it's not a question of travel or not. I actually prefer engineers and wear them 80% of the year.
I only wear the lace shoes if it is stupid hot or if i am going out and needing to look less casual.
Engineers are just the most comfortable shoes, especially with the crepe soles best boots i have owned.

Regarding Frye, i have had bad experience with them. I have had 4 pairs, all engineers.
They are a step under Red Wing and Chippewa IMO, synthetic insole instead of leather, plastic last, lesser quality leather.
One of my pair of brown 12R engineer had very weird leather that pretty much stretched to crap and fell apart.
And one of my pair of black 12R ones has leather that never broke in and looks like new vinyl even though they are old and beat up.
I wouldn't buy Frye boots anymore, at least not their regular 12R engineer ones.
Their fancy Horween engineers look to have a real leather last and quality leather, but they want silly money for them.

I agree with you. The leather also seems to appear ‘dry’ to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko