Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
I’m looking into buying a pair of Wolverine 1000 mi. I will perhaps wait for the Black Friday last year there was interesting sales at Wolverine.

Otherwise, I’m usually wearing with my leather jackets my Wesco Bosses (black and burgundy), my Tricker’s Brogue, Alden 405 and 990.
For the sneakers I have a pair of Vans 112 pro and a pair of Atheist shoes.

For me, It is difficult to find a good pair of shoes with my feet problems and multiple surgeries but all the pairs mention above are really comfortable, I don’t need to put in them my orthopedic insole and I can wear them all day long without too much pain. They also go well with my different jackets.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I worked at Vans for five years. That company has a neat history. They began their business creating totally customized shoes-meaning school kids would bring in swatches of their uniform fabric and have the ability to get shoes made from that fabric. Corporate now, as anything is, but a true American success story. Nice family. The skateboarding thing they're associated with came around a few years later-early 70s I think.

Woodyear

Familiar Face
I'm back in my Chippewa service boots. Third year and counting. Possibly the longest any footwear survived on my feet.

I have the same boots but the J. Crew version which have a pull tab. Love them, such great boots.

I've noticed you've mentioned a lot how you don't like to wear boots or nice shoes because you wear them out too quickly. You do realize with good quality boots and shoes you can have them resoled? They'll be good as new in just a few days for like $40 or $50 bucks. I've had my Daytons resoled 3 or 4 times now. For guys like you who walk a lot it's gotta be more economical than constantly replacing sneakers.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have the same boots but the J. Crew version which have a pull tab. Love them, such great boots.

I've noticed you've mentioned a lot how you don't like to wear boots or nice shoes because you wear them out too quickly. You do realize with good quality boots and shoes you can have them resoled? They'll be good as new in just a few days for like $40 or $50 bucks. I've had my Daytons resoled 3 or 4 times now. For guys like you who walk a lot it's gotta be more economical than constantly replacing sneakers.

Maybe where you are. My RM Williams cost over $100 to resole and it needed to be done every 6 -8 months. The rest of the boot starts to look shabby after a couple of years. Waste of money, given the initial $500 (Aust) investment. I get about 8 months out of a pair of Blundstones - sometimes 16 months. At around $100 I don't much care.

Woodyear

Familiar Face
Maybe where you are. My RM Williams cost over $100 to resole and it needed to be done every 6 -8 months. The rest of the boot starts to look shabby after a couple of years. Waste of money, given the initial $500 (Aust) investment. I get about 8 months out of a pair of Blundstones - sometimes 16 months. At around $100 I don't much care.

Have them resole with vibram rubber soles rather than leather, they last much longer and are lighter and resistant to cold and wet, also more absorptive. They can also be done without requiring restitching of the welt by instead using some kind of extremely strong glue, which is much cheaper and I haven't had any issues with them coming detached or anything.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I did that too, cost a bunch and they came off. Mind you that was years ago. Frankly there's no downside in my current Blundstone thing and I simply don't like footwear enough to pay more than $100.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’m looking into buying a pair of Wolverine 1000 mi. I will perhaps wait for the Black Friday last year there was interesting sales at Wolverine.

Otherwise, I’m usually wearing with my leather jackets my Wesco Bosses (black and burgundy), my Tricker’s Brogue, Alden 405 and 990.
For the sneakers I have a pair of Vans 112 pro and a pair of Atheist shoes.

For me, It is difficult to find a good pair of shoes with my feet problems and multiple surgeries but all the pairs mention above are really comfortable, I don’t need to put in them my orthopedic insole and I can wear them all day long without too much pain. They also go well with my different jackets.

Regarding the Wesco boots, as far as I understand, you had them custom made?
How did you go about getting them your foot tracings, was it complicated?

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Regarding the Wesco boots, as far as I understand, you had them custom made?
How did you go about getting them your foot tracings, was it complicated?

They send you a paper to trace your feet and the instructions to get the measures they want. They even provide a tape.
Ask someone to do the tracing and take the measures.
They have a video on their website explaining the process. It’s quite easy.
They also ask a few questions. This is where I told them about the surgeries I had.

dubpynchon

One Too Many
I'm also a fan of the Red Wing Beckman boots. I have a pair in black cherry and think they're very versatile, can be dressed up or down. Not my photos below, but they will give you an idea of how they look after acquiring some patina.

4ab852461ed189afb089de829960310e.jpg

24f84592fcf7c69e1528a2701d79fc00.jpg
I wish I hadn't seen this picture, I thought my cordovan Bootlegger had scratched my cordovan itch, but it turns out it hadn't. I must remember not to wear the boots and jacket at the same time.

It's not just the soles, I literally destroy them inside out. Stitching breaks apart, leather starts cracking, entire sole falls off... And I had some pretty expensive & quality shoes and boots that people swore by and wore for years while mine didn't last one winter. Except for Danners, which were good as I've said many times before but I just find them so ugly I can't bring myself to buy a pair. Can't help it... And I always did take great care of all my footwear. To no avail.

So I stick to $10 no name sneakers and just replace them every few months. :)

Dugafola

New in Town
I got way into boots and GYW shoes before leather. my current rotation:

Alden Indy 403s - brown CXL
Alden Indy - natural CXL, brass eyes, commando sole(from epaulet)
Viberg Oxford - the half japanese on 110 last - from a group MTO a few years ago
Viberg Service Boot 2030 olive chromepak - from 3Sixteen a few years ago
Viberg Garage Boot - mocha oil tan on 110 last

i also wear chuck taylor's and vans with my leathers as well.

Thebuzzard

One of the Regulars
I got way into boots and GYW shoes before leather. my current rotation:

Alden Indy 403s - brown CXL
Alden Indy - natural CXL, brass eyes, commando sole(from epaulet)
Viberg Oxford - the half japanese on 110 last - from a group MTO a few years ago
Viberg Service Boot 2030 olive chromepak - from 3Sixteen a few years ago
Viberg Garage Boot - mocha oil tan on 110 last

i also wear chuck taylor's and vans with my leathers as well.
So which do you find most comfortable? I've been thinking of some indy's, but nit sure. I find my viberg natty cxl's hard on the heel, but so damn cool looking I can't stop wearing them lol. 2030 for them

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Thebuzzard

One of the Regulars
I'd recommend Viberg 8' engineer CXL leather. Shorter and wider opening. Easier to take off than those 11'. Soft toe and when covered up looks like cowboy or Pecos boots. No steel toe, not so hardcore.
I've never picked up a sturdier boot then a berg, u get what u pay for

Dugafola

New in Town
So which do you find most comfortable? I've been thinking of some indy's, but nit sure. I find my viberg natty cxl's hard on the heel, but so damn cool looking I can't stop wearing them lol. 2030 for them

you'd figure that the Indy's would fit similarly, but they don't. big difference b/w the cork neoprene sole on the 403 and the stitched on commando. the neoprene 403s fit snugger, the commando soles fit a little sloppier (ie more volume in boot). really not sure if it has to do with with outsole or not. when i have to get the innsbruck re-soled, i may have a the neoprene sole put on them. but you really can't beat that natural CXL.

as for the vibergs, my faves are the oxford in 110. i just think the 110 fits my foot better than the 2030. it's more broad at the toe allowing more room. but the 2030 has it's unique look that really can't be topped.

if i were to be on my feet all day, i'd opt for probably the vibergs in 110 over the indys ...but barely.

Thebuzzard

One of the Regulars
you'd figure that the Indy's would fit similarly, but they don't. big difference b/w the cork neoprene sole on the 403 and the stitched on commando. the neoprene 403s fit snugger, the commando soles fit a little sloppier (ie more volume in boot). really not sure if it has to do with with outsole or not. when i have to get the innsbruck re-soled, i may have a the neoprene sole put on them. but you really can't beat that natural CXL.

as for the vibergs, my faves are the oxford in 110. i just think the 110 fits my foot better than the 2030. it's more broad at the toe allowing more room. but the 2030 has it's unique look that really can't be topped.

if i were to be on my feet all day, i'd opt for probably the vibergs in 110 over the indys ...but barely.
Hmm I'm an hour away from the factory, maybe I'll take a trip and try the 110's before I go for some alden.
I picked up a pair of engineers this winter and I just can't get into wearing them, constantly pull my socks off! First pair of engineers, not sure if it's the boot, or me, or my socks! Seem to fit fairly tight, but my heel doesn't seem to stick, am guessing it's the boot

Dugafola

New in Town
Hmm I'm an hour away from the factory, maybe I'll take a trip and try the 110's before I go for some alden.
I picked up a pair of engineers this winter and I just can't get into wearing them, constantly pull my socks off! First pair of engineers, not sure if it's the boot, or me, or my socks! Seem to fit fairly tight, but my heel doesn't seem to stick, am guessing it's the boot

cool! only thing is the clicking at alden isn't on the level of viberg so you may get a pair with some loose grain.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm loving this thread, so cool to learn about new styles and makers that I haven't tried before. I thought I would mention a product that I have been using for the last 15 years to keep my boots dry and increase their longevity. It is the boot dryer by Peet:

http://www.peetdryer.com/store/p40/Original_Dryer.html

I put my work boots on the dryer every afternoon when I get home and they are dry and warm when I reach for them the next morning. This also keeps them fresh and bacteria free so I don't have the smelly boot issues I did before. I've also noticed that my work boots last about twice as long as they used to because the leather is not wet or damp for long periods of time.
These work great for engineer boots, hiking boots, and all kinds of footwear. If you are someone who cares about your shoes and boots, as everyone who has posted on this thread seems to be, then I highly recommend picking up a boot dryer.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I like Frye boots, but a few years ago they started offshoring production to Mexico and China. I'm not sure the quality is still there, and their sizing seems to have changed (I used to fit an 8D in Frye, now I'm a 9.)

There's also Wolverine 1000 Mile, which are made from Horween leather. I have owned cheaper Wolverine boots, and found them to be generally comfortable and of good quality, so I have no doubt that these are good, if pricey -- but comparable to expensive leather jackets if you're talking about pairing.

I've not owned Chippewa boots, but they look great, and I hear good things.

There's also Red Wing, and for more "fashion" focused people, Bed Stu.
Frye got offshore to Leon Mexico. A place that is famous for quality footwear, and not so quality too. I understand that even that market is suffering with companies going to China. A generation of hand made bookmakers is watching the end of an era, as their children get "better" jobs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points