Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Frye got offshore to Leon Mexico. A place that is famous for quality footwear, and not so quality too. I understand that even that market is suffering with companies going to China. A generation of hand made bookmakers is watching the end of an era, as their children get "better" jobs.

I often visit Mexico. I currently own a great pair of engineering boots who happened to be my favorites motorcycle boots I own.

Regarding the labor force in Mexico, You are correct! Latinos like Brian the boot maker is the only person I know who truly is continuing the handmade boot making. It is sad that very few people are continuing this great art.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I normally like to wear a simple classic shoe. My favorite two are the Allen Edmonds McNeil and Norwich in both brown and black. My old school favorites have always been wingtips! Some of this shoes look great after being used for over 30 years and that is due to the use of shoe trees and good conditioner. If I visit my friends at a nicer occasion I call for a clean a-2 and nicer wing type not picture here. View attachment 92205
Nice photography.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm loving this thread, so cool to learn about new styles and makers that I haven't tried before. I thought I would mention a product that I have been using for the last 15 years to keep my boots dry and increase their longevity. It is the boot dryer by Peet:

http://www.peetdryer.com/store/p40/Original_Dryer.html

I put my work boots on the dryer every afternoon when I get home and they are dry and warm when I reach for them the next morning. This also keeps them fresh and bacteria free so I don't have the smelly boot issues I did before. I've also noticed that my work boots last about twice as long as they used to because the leather is not wet or damp for long periods of time.
These work great for engineer boots, hiking boots, and all kinds of footwear. If you are someone who cares about your shoes and boots, as everyone who has posted on this thread seems to be, then I highly recommend picking up a boot dryer.

Thanks for sharing, need to look into this :)

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I was told recently that it was more important to make sure that your belt color matched your shoes. But I doubt Emily Post wore leather.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I often visit Mexico. I currently own a great pair of engineering boots who happened to be my favorites motorcycle boots I own.

Regarding the labor force in Mexico, You are correct! Latinos like Brian the boot maker is the only person I know who truly is continuing the handmade boot making. It is sad that very few people are continuing this great art.
Yep, and I am glad that he is making good money doing it. Maybe is kids will too.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
All the hipsters and wanna be bikers (including me now) in my neighborhood wear engineer boots.

Why no pull up straps?

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I have to admit not giving as much attention to my footwear as I have done for jackets so far, so now I am thinking to remedy this but... I am lacking in ideas.

Technically, we can wear almost any shoes or boots with our jackets as they are in general versatile. But ideally, we would want something as nice as the jackets we spend so much on. So here goes:

- Engineer boots: this is probably the quintessential boot to go with the jackets we wear.
- Work boots: another favourite
- Dress boots: wearing these takes the outfit in another direction, I personally like the look of Jodhpur boots.
- Dress shoes: getting more formal
- Sneakers: certainly not ideal but so damn convenient

So in my case, I have a pair of chippewa engineers but don't wear them that often. It's not a practical shoe to travel with as I always need a boot jack to take them off. How do you guys manage these?
I am thinking it might be interesting to get Lewis Leathers motorcycle boots with zippers such as the westway boots: http://www.lewisleathers.com/productinfo.html?code=boo-w10
Are these comfortable to walk with as well as riding?

No experience with work boots, should probably try something

Dress boots, I have a pair of Jodhpur boots that I like and wear more often then the chippewas but they can sometimes look a bit too dressy (dress shoes even more so). And they are not supposed to be worn everyday in any case.

Sneakers, I am guilty of wearing them much more often than I should. It's just very practical. But I would like to find an alternative.

I know this has probably been discussed many times, but I would be curious to take a fresh new look into this. So please share your experiences and your ideas :)

Well I guess zippers would solve the problem of no pull up straps on engineer boots. I know that the real cowboy boots guys don't consider Ropers real cowboy boots, but that is what I like.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Sorry Guys
Nothing fancy, just put on new heels on old Fry Ropers since 1990. Gonna wear them with fancy leather jackets. Cowboy and leather jackets, oh my.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
All the hipsters and wanna be bikers (including me now) in my neighborhood wear engineer boots.

Why no pull up straps?

Well Jonesy, you live in the hipster capital of the world. Are they still on their bikes? :) Craft beer?? The girls are way friendlier down here man. Highly recommend the move. 23 years being mostly single in NorCal, about 23 days in SoCal!

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Was married only a few years longer than i have had these Fry's. New heels, and they even shined them for free.

IMG_3712.JPG

IMG_3713.JPG

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Well Jonesy, you live in the hipster capital of the world. Are they still on their bikes? :) Craft beer?? The girls are way friendlier down here man. Highly recommend the move. 23 years being mostly single in NorCal, about 23 days in SoCal!
Nah, they ride molybdenum frame bicycles. No gears, no brakes.

Thebuzzard

One of the Regulars
Well a lot of talk about engineer boots! Well I have a question. My socks constantly work there way off when wearing them. I've tried tight wool socks, hiking wool socks, thick cotton socks, all to no avail. I'm now considering boot liners named bahmas. Is this a common problem, or is it simply that the boot doesn't have enough heel cup. I'd say they are the right length and width also. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

red devil

Well a lot of talk about engineer boots! Well I have a question. My socks constantly work there way off when wearing them. I've tried tight wool socks, hiking wool socks, thick cotton socks, all to no avail. I'm now considering boot liners named bahmas. Is this a common problem, or is it simply that the boot doesn't have enough heel cup. I'd say they are the right length and width also. Any thoughts?

I don't have enough experience yet, but it seems that the medium thickness work boot socks work best, curious to hear from those who wear Engineer boots regularly

El Marro

I own four pairs of engineers and I have not really experienced a problem with the socks slipping off constantly. I wear lightweight hiking socks and I probably feel the need to adjust them once or twice during the course of wearing the boots for a day.
Since you have tried several different types of socks without any appreciable difference, I think you may be on to something that the shape of the boot is not really compatible with your foot. One thing you might try before giving up on the boots is changing out the insole. One pair of my engineers had thin leather insoles that squeaked when I walked. I swapped them out for inexpensive Dr. Scholls insoles and the problem was solved. Might be worth trying some new insoles to see if they improve fit and comfort for you.

Thebuzzard

One of the Regulars
I own four pairs of engineers and I have not really experienced a problem with the socks slipping off constantly. I wear lightweight hiking socks and I probably feel the need to adjust them once or twice during the course of wearing the boots for a day.
Since you have tried several different types of socks without any appreciable difference, I think you may be on to something that the shape of the boot is not really compatible with your foot. One thing you might try before giving up on the boots is changing out the insole. One pair of my engineers had thin leather insoles that squeaked when I walked. I swapped them out for inexpensive Dr. Scholls insoles and the problem was solved. Might be worth trying some new insoles to see if they improve fit and comfort for you.
Bah no room for insoles, it's leather over cork and too tight when I tried insoles. Thanks though

Harris HTM

One Too Many

I have the exact same problem with both my chippewa engineers and my harness boots. At least for me it has to do with my legs which are what the world reknowned scientist, dr. Al Bundy, refered to as 'chicken legs'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points