Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

3.14nche

One of the Regulars
Thank you so much for these. The boots look very solid. Are you happy with the fit?
I am yes.
I don't know much about shoe lasts so I can't give a detailed description but if it's any help they fit me as well as my Grenson and Trickers.
And after removing the padding under the insole heel I find them to be more comfortable to wear all day long than before. At some point I'll probably swap them for proper leather insole though.

Psant25

One Too Many
Oak Street boot makers had a sale. I always wanted to try their trench boots.

I have always been concerned about the fit. I ordered a 10D and 9 1/2 D trench with danite sole and natural cxl planning to return one.

They guessed I would be a 9.5D same size as the iron ranger even through website says go true to size which I would be a 10D.

The 9 1/2D fits me best. I wear a 9.5D alden indy, iron ranger, truman, whites.

However, the right heel has some shitty stitching and heel sanding that I am not fond of see attached pics.

Nice boot but idk i look at construction and materials of a franks, nicks, wesco for similar price and this seems a little underwhelming. Leather is 5.5-6 oz.

The stitch issue Probably doesn’t compromise the integrity of the boot per se but for a near $600 boot should be cleaner.

Not sure I want them to ship me another pair and risk another qc issue and more return shipping on me or just return and refund both.

IMG_1768.jpeg
Any thoughts?

Drzdave58

One of the Regulars

I have always been concerned about the fit. I ordered a 10D and 9 1/2 D trench with danite sole and natural cxl planning to return one.

They guessed I would be a 9.5D same size as the iron ranger even through website says go true to size which I would be a 10D.

However, the right heel has some shitty stitching and heel sanding that I am not fond of see attached pics.

Nice boot but idk i look at construction and materials of a franks, nicks, wesco for similar price and this seems a little underwhelming. Leather is 5.5-6 oz.

The stitch issue Probably doesn’t compromise the integrity of the boot per se but for a near $600 boot should be cleaner.

Not sure I want them to ship me another pair and risk another qc issue and more return shipping on me or just return and refund both.

View attachment 565538 Any thoughts?
That’s unacceptable to me. They should be B grade imo.

Jasonissm

Practically Family

I would return those, I have a pretty meh standard for PNW like Wesco, I've seen some bad examples from them so I was alright with a little imperfection on my Wesco. Those OSB look pretty bad, the stitch is completely ripped. They should be saddle stitched so they won't unravel, I would either 1. return for refund/exchange or 2. reach out see if they offer a "seconds" quality partial discount if you can live with it.

Psant25

One Too Many
I would return those, I have a pretty meh standard for PNW like Wesco, I've seen some bad examples from them so I was alright with a little imperfection on my Wesco. Those OSB look pretty bad, the stitch is completely ripped. They should be saddle stitched so they won't unravel, I would either 1. return for refund/exchange or 2. reach out see if they offer a "seconds" quality partial discount if you can live with it.
The person working their IG reached out pretty quick after messaging them. Said it should not have gone out like that and they said email them and get a free return label. Good service just wish I woulda been walking around tonight with a smile and new boots.

Psant25

One Too Many
Pumped for these! They are in the wind. Pretty sure these are mine they put online I specified no pull loop and the waxy commander.

I have always had such an issue with typical heritage boots the heels/midsole always uneven in the back and not symmetric boot to boot. How they sand the heels. I think I found a fix going with a 360 welt boot and jadds uses a guide on the sander so it is nice and even sanded all the way around. I sure dont know why most the other makers freehand the sanding and often comes out wonky at the heels. At least to my eye and that is where i always first look when boots come in

Might get another pair in natural cxl roughtout and non lug soles ode to a service boot and dubb them with some mink oil
IMG_1783.png
IMG_1784.png

Last edited:

Damon141

Practically Family
That’s unacceptable to me. They should be B grade imo.
Sadly my White’s MP’s were all over the place too.

I’d hit them up if I were you, I would have but purchased the last pair retailer sale and didn’t feel like fighting a return because they were final sale but if you bought directly from the company, you should definitely hit them up for a new pair

@Psant25 those are amazing and priced so reasonably, I have never heard of this brand and they are even less than most of the popular indo brands but made in England. Congratulations

Last edited:

Jasonissm

Practically Family
20231204_184340.jpg

My Onderhoud Derby shoes again

Conditioned with some Mustang Paste today, they are lovely. I think barring any unexpected circumstances, these are what I will wear for my 3 week holiday early next year. I always find on holiday, they get like 6 months of my usual amount of wear within a month lol

Also I like the leather way more than I expected to, Tochigi Oil Vachetta, I like the soft temper and nice grain throughout. You can see the leather looks a little plump and puffy around the seams, because it's nice and soft after the break in.

The fit is alright wish I could make some small adjustments, but that's the way it goes with ordering online. No foot pain which is a big win for my weirdly shaped feet.

Very nice! What brand are they? I've really taken to subtle Western boots like this, with minimal decoration and a less exaggerated heel shape.

Thanks, Edward. I like them a lot, too. I really don't know what brand they are. I can only make out "Made in Mexico". They're exactly in-between harness boots & cowboy boots, which is what I dig the most.

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 566874

My Onderhoud Derby shoes again

Conditioned with some Mustang Paste today, they are lovely. I think barring any unexpected circumstances, these are what I will wear for my 3 week holiday early next year. I always find on holiday, they get like 6 months of my usual amount of wear within a month lol

Also I like the leather way more than I expected to, Tochigi Oil Vachetta, I like the soft temper and nice grain throughout. You can see the leather looks a little plump and puffy around the seams, because it's nice and soft after the break in.

The fit is alright wish I could make some small adjustments, but that's the way it goes with ordering online. No foot pain which is a big win for my weirdly shaped feet.

I see some lovely stuff coming from these Far Eastern producers. One of my favourite pairs of shoes ever was hand-made in a small place in Beijing - I was measured up in person, then a colleague on the same project collected and brought them back for me a couple of weeks later. My travel in SE Asia has all been China (with work). The wife has never been to China, but before we met travelled much more extensively in the region, including living for nine months in Bangkok. She's keen one day to take me there; I should find a way to build in visiting some of these great footwear makers regionally!

Those shoes look superb - sort of thing I'd much rather wear than sneakers. I actually have one pair of Vans slip ons as of a year or two ago, which get worn when it gets too hot for leather footwear some days in Summer, otherwise casually I'm an almost all boots guy. I do like a nice shoe, though. Sometimes it's just preferable - particularly if I want to kick them on / off easily. I tend to fly mostly in loafers, but in the depths of Winter those aren't always the best choice even for a quick run to the airport...

Khilij

One of the Regulars
Just received my first pair of Truman boots in Java Waxed Flesh. they look great to me and fit fantastically, probably the best of any bootmaker I've tried. (Grant Stone, Chippewa, Wolverine 1000 mile, Red Wing Iron Ranger) I measure a 10.5D (bordering on E) on the Brannock device, with a high volume instep, and took a size 10D. Just walking around my place they are very comfortable and I am excited to take them for a spin tomorrow. Can't wait for these to break in!

Khilij

One of the Regulars
The laces that came with the boots are... not great, so I replaced them with some Paracord ones I got from Pisgah Range. Now they're much easier to cinch up and tie.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
I see some lovely stuff coming from these Far Eastern producers. One of my favourite pairs of shoes ever was hand-made in a small place in Beijing - I was measured up in person, then a colleague on the same project collected and brought them back for me a couple of weeks later. My travel in SE Asia has all been China (with work). The wife has never been to China, but before we met travelled much more extensively in the region, including living for nine months in Bangkok. She's keen one day to take me there; I should find a way to build in visiting some of these great footwear makers regionally!

Those shoes look superb - sort of thing I'd much rather wear than sneakers. I actually have one pair of Vans slip ons as of a year or two ago, which get worn when it gets too hot for leather footwear some days in Summer, otherwise casually I'm an almost all boots guy. I do like a nice shoe, though. Sometimes it's just preferable - particularly if I want to kick them on / off easily. I tend to fly mostly in loafers, but in the depths of Winter those aren't always the best choice even for a quick run to the airport...
These are my first pair of shoes, they are kind of more boot than shoe though. I was not sure how I would like them, but being in a sort of weird middleground between a workboot and a shoe makes me really like them. There are a lot of fantastic makers all over, I don't have the money to visit them all though lol! In Asia, there are a lot in India, Indonesia, China, Korea, Japan as well as a few in the Philippines too! (Probably a bunch more I'm missing)

May I ask if you still have those shoes from Beijing? I would love to see them if you have any photos!

Speaking of airports, you reminded me, every time I go through airport security they make me take off my boots, it's annoying, now that I'm in shoes maybe that wont happen... Unless the metal shank trips the detector... Probably just business as usual, walking around in socks and lacing my shoes back up. I'd also really like a pair of loafers, probably will be my last or second to last footwear purchase for my collection then I think I'd be completely satisfied.

Edward

Bartender
May I ask if you still have those shoes from Beijing? I would love to see them if you have any photos!

Somewhere - I think they're in the storage unit currently, I must see if I can dig out a photo. They're on borrowed time now (I had them made in 2009) but only because a carpet beetle ate quite the gouge out of one of them near where the upper joins the sole. Eventually I fear it may rip.

Speaking of airports, you reminded me, every time I go through airport security they make me take off my boots, it's annoying, now that I'm in shoes maybe that wont happen... Unless the metal shank trips the detector... Probably just business as usual, walking around in socks and lacing my shoes back up. I'd also really like a pair of loafers, probably will be my last or second to last footwear purchase for my collection then I think I'd be completely satisfied.

I have the same issue when I travel in boots in the Winter - had to take off my Iron Rangers at two airports recently, as well as an additional scan with the wand (less bothersome) on Eurostar. Usually in my experience boots are an automatic take-off for security, for the obvious reason that you could have all sorts slipped down long boots. Shoes it varies - if your shoes have a metal shank in the soles then yeah, that's going to be picked up by the scanners, unfortunately, meaning at the very least more wand attention and a pat down, but most likely take them off and put them through the machine with your hand luggage. The upside is that a pair of laced shoes is generally a whole lot faster on/off than boots. Hopefully this sort of thing will become less of an issue as better scanners get rolled out with greater clarity in detection of where the metal bits are. Of course it's a small price to pay, really, for ensuring we don't have a successful shoe-bomber, but life will be an awful lot easier if and when we can just walk through a scanner with all our stuff instead of the current near-strip-search!

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Somewhere - I think they're in the storage unit currently, I must see if I can dig out a photo. They're on borrowed time now (I had them made in 2009) but only because a carpet beetle ate quite the gouge out of one of them near where the upper joins the sole. Eventually I fear it may rip.

I have the same issue when I travel in boots in the Winter - had to take off my Iron Rangers at two airports recently, as well as an additional scan with the wand (less bothersome) on Eurostar. Usually in my experience boots are an automatic take-off for security, for the obvious reason that you could have all sorts slipped down long boots. Shoes it varies - if your shoes have a metal shank in the soles then yeah, that's going to be picked up by the scanners, unfortunately, meaning at the very least more wand attention and a pat down, but most likely take them off and put them through the machine with your hand luggage. The upside is that a pair of laced shoes is generally a whole lot faster on/off than boots. Hopefully this sort of thing will become less of an issue as better scanners get rolled out with greater clarity in detection of where the metal bits are. Of course it's a small price to pay, really, for ensuring we don't have a successful shoe-bomber, but life will be an awful lot easier if and when we can just walk through a scanner with all our stuff instead of the current near-strip-search!

My airport staples for this reason are Chelsea Boots (leather sole in the summer; rubber sole in the winter); a bit more versatile than loafers, to my mind, as you can get away wqearing them with a suit as well as in a more casual way...

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up

I’ve seen plenty of pnw boots go out like that. They’re sturdy but in my experience not aesthetically perfect at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner