Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
No picture, sadly, but I wore a pair of Alden Indy‘s to a two-day offsite, and the hype is real (IMO).

I know this is not common opinion, but I find them easily en par with say bench-grade Crockett&Jones.
Got them for a good price from a member here, so I saved a pretty penny too.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
No picture, sadly, but I wore a pair of Alden Indy‘s to a two-day offsite, and the hype is real (IMO).

I know this is not common opinion, but I find them easily en par with say bench-grade Crockett&Jones.
Got them for a good price from a member here, so I saved a pretty penny too.
Owning more than a dozen pairs (in total) from both brands that you mentioned (plus a couple of Carmina's as well), I'd say that quality wise all three brands are indeed comparable (handgrade C&J is another story), with C&J being better in QC and finishing, attention to detail, while with Alden and Carmina quite often there are details that though not structural faults they are not expected at their price point.
Did I mention that I love my Indy's?

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Owning more than a dozen pairs (in total) from both brands that you mentioned (plus a couple of Carmina's as well), I'd say that quality wise all three brands are indeed comparable (handgrade C&J is another story), with C&J being better in QC and finishing, attention to detail, while with Alden and Carmina quite often there are details that though not structural faults they are not expected at their price point.
Did I mention that I love my Indy's?

C&J make a great boot, that’s for sure! I have the „Islay“ and the „Coniston“ and even among the two of them the later has the better finishing.
Besides the Indy I have an Alden Penny Loafer that I am very happy with.

Not trying to rank makers here. I’ve read about QC issues with Alden before, and I can gladly report that my Indy‘s are pretty much flawless.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
C&J make a great boot, that’s for sure! I have the „Islay“ and the „Coniston“ and even among the two of them the later has the better finishing.

Not trying to rank makers here. I’ve read about QC issues with Alden before, and I can gladly report that my Indy‘s are pretty much flawless.
I love both CJ's and Alden's.
Coincidentally yesterday I checked the prices of cordovan boots of Alden, CJ and Carmina. The prices have launched to the ridiculous-sphere.

Chris_K

One of the Regulars

Happy to echo that, I own two pairs of Alden boots at this point, a more rugged Indy on a lug sole and a cap toe on the Grant last, both Horween chamois (the former rough out, the latter smooth). Construction is perfect. Thinking of a black Cordovan cap toe next, Grant last again. Really nice last, versatile, can dress up or down a little.

Psant25

One Too Many
Just saw this on Instagram whites Boots finally coming out with a stitchdown MP boot on the 5050 last. I’ve been waiting for this one. Available February 1. I might have to snag a pair however I have three custom boot orders in the works two with Nicks one with William Lennon… Should be a somewhat cleaner stitch around the toe and not hand-welted so lower price point, quicker production, etc. the MP last i found too narrow in D width i had two pair. Might have to try this new last.
IMG_1998.png

Below is the handwelted boots the turned out leather is somewhat bumpy and the machine stitch visible is not always very nice and clean looking fyi
IMG_3679.jpeg

cbez

One Too Many
Whites have just gotten so expensive. I bought my Maryam bh for $600 new a few years ago. Saw a final few pair recently that was $900+??

There are sooo many nice used pairs out there.

Psant25

One Too Many
Whites have just gotten so expensive. I bought my Maryam bh for $600 new a few years ago. Saw a final few pair recently that was $900+??

There are sooo many nice used pairs out there.
I hear ya man. I had them send me a copy of my old orders last week. I bought a pair of farmer ranches from them 2016 cost about 450 new if I recall correctly.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Anyone ever tried Flyland boots & shoes? Picked up a brand new pair of size 12's just like the ones in the link below. Line with leather, they are comfortable & lightweight. Good kick-around pair of boots. Since I am usually a Whites/Nicks person these are the end-opposite, so the feel like house slippers - which very well may be their role. My cost was around $12 for them.

https://us.shein.com/FLYLAND-Men-s-...382-cat-6991.html?main_attr=27_112&mallCode=1

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
So, this is the newest addition to the family: BRIGHT SHOEMAKERS Engineers in Rough out/reverse Rough out combination.

I was looking for a second pair of Engineers for a while now, but never found any that fitted the way I liked. I have a pair of Mr Lou‘s that are just perfect in every aspect, so that is my benchmark.

BRIGHT are out of Copenhagen (boots manufactured in Spain), so that’s a nice alternative to a niche dominated by US-American and Japanese makers. Saves us EU-Europeans the annoying upcharge for VAT/duties too.

Fit is ok, after returning and exchanging for one size up. Instep and heelbox are super narrow, while toebox is pretty generous. I have a bit of heelslip, but nothing to worry about once break in happens. Boots feel roomy, so maybe a thin insole may be in order In the long run.

Very happy so far, and glad to support a tiny start-up (well, sort of). At EUR 485 for the standard Engineer (this one’s a special run and a bit pricier) one hell of a price for something with a high degree of manual labour.

Colour comes across pretty accurate. In outdoor light, boots are a bit more orange, but not to the extent pictured on the website.

IMG_7873.jpeg
IMG_7874.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7872.jpeg
    IMG_7872.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
So, this is the newest addition to the family: BRIGHT SHOEMAKERS Engineers in Rough out/reverse Rough out combination.

I was looking for a second pair of Engineers for a while now, but never found any that fitted the way I liked. I have a pair of Mr Lou‘s that are just perfect in every aspect, so that is my benchmark.

BRIGHT are out of Copenhagen (boots manufactured in Spain), so that’s a nice alternative to a niche dominated by US-American and Japanese makers. Saves us EU-Europeans the annoying upcharge for VAT/duties too.

Fit is ok, after returning and exchanging for one size up. Instep and heelbox are super narrow, while toebox is pretty generous. I have a bit of heelslip, but nothing to worry about once break in happens. Boots feel roomy, so maybe a thin insole may be in order In the long run.

Very happy so far, and glad to support a tiny start-up (well, sort of). At EUR 485 for the standard Engineer (this one’s a special run and a bit pricier) one hell of a price for something with a high degree of manual labour.

Colour comes across pretty accurate. In outdoor light, boots are a bit more orange, but not to the extent pictured on the website.

View attachment 586843 View attachment 586842

I should add that @Marc mndt has done a much more thorough review of his BRIGHT Engineers in December under a separate thread, so please do have a look for a deep dive.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 586843 View attachment 586842
I love the roughout / smoothout combo. Some nice graining going on already on those shafts. Imagine how they'll look with some patina on them. (My Bright engineers picked up patina fairly quickly).

IMG_4868.jpeg
IMG_4867.jpeg

cbez

One Too Many
I must have a very generic and blessed foot shape. Never had break in struggles unless I dramatically missized.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy