Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For sale: Original 2-panel, named irvin jacket by links (1939)

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
FOR SALE: ORIGINAL 2-PANEL, NAMED IRVIN JACKET BY LINKS (1939)

Following a serious illness in my immediate family, of which some Forum members are already aware, I am offering for sale several of my better jackets to liberate some funds.

Consequently, I have for sale an original Irvin jacket, made by Links. Andrew has suggested that this is likely to date from the second AM contract (B24384 / 39 / C.I.B.) placed with Links in 1939, when IAC and Wareings could not meet the demand to supply sufficent Irvins to the RAF.

The jacket is essentially in original condition, although it lacks a label and the main zip and one of the zippers in the arms have been replaced with ELC reproductions (the sole remaining zipper is a period Lightning). The black elastic strap to the rear of the collar is a modern repro from ELC.

Dating from 1939 with the 2-panel configuration, it bears the characteristic rounded collar and dense, honey-coloured dense fleece, and medium sized belt loops. The zipper tapes have a reddish hue (as does the rear facing of the collar).

It's in good wearable condition - there is some wear to the fleece at the cuffs and waist, but the rest is in very strong, sturdy condition. At some time in its life it's come into contact with some white paint on the left sleeve - I've opted not to remove it as it has never bothered me greatly.

There are two older repairs: two small, circular leather patches to both sleeve biceps, consistent with abrasion in a narrow cockpit (and presumably a fighter). As Andrew has mentioned elsewhere the summer of 1940 was too warm for Irvins, but his suggestion that the Hurricane pilots wore them more frequently in France during 1939-40 could be more explicable (and that explanation has always appealed to me ).

What isn't clear from these photos (partially visible on one) is the name 'GEORDIE' painted in faded red pigment to the rear of the collar (although I can't believe that anybody from Newcastle would have needed a jacket at altitude ). I took the jacket into the lab and examined it under both short and long wavelength UV lamps to reveal it clearly.

Dimensions (fabric tape measure taken with jacket zipped and laid flat):
Armpit to armpit = 60 cm
Waist (seam to seam) = 58 cm
Front length = 55 cm (to base of collar stand)
Back length = 64 cm (including collar stand)
Shoulder width = 53 cm
Arm length = 59 cm (measured with curve)
Collar width = 16 cm (excluding collar stand)

For reference, I am 5'8" and have a 43" chest when inflated and a 36" waist and this one fits me comfortably with a vest/T shirt + shirt underneath.

The fleece is clean, tight and has a lovely fresh aroma - it has served as a great blanket when camping.

I am asking £650 shipped in the UK (I will post internationally, but worldwide postage to be determined) plus PayPal fees if applicable.

Now I am going to hit the submit button and post it...

OK...now...

Please PM me if interested.

Ian

IMG_8064.jpg

IMG_8074.jpg

IMG_8075.jpg

IMG_8065.jpg

IMG_8072.jpg

3934008.jpg

3934009.jpg

IMG_8070.jpg

IMG_8071.jpg

3934006.jpg

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
You're not the only one Paddy...
It's a beauty, but I'm storing up contingency funds as I've had some very bad news in the family so sadly it has to go.
Still, it was the fulfilment of a childhood dream growing up with dreams of Spitfires, Hurricanes and the RAF and I've really enjoyed wearing it for the last few years.
Time for somebody else to have some fun...

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
For the Imperialist, Colonialist or simply the immetric...

Dimensions (fabric tape measure taken with jacket zipped and laid flat):
Armpit to armpit = 60 cm (23 5/8")
Waist (seam to seam) = 58 cm (22 7/8")
Front length = 55 cm (21 3/4") (to base of collar stand)
Back length = 64 cm (25 1/4") (including collar stand)
Shoulder width = 53 cm (20 7/8")
Arm length = 59 cm (23 1/4") (top of sleeve panel to cuff, measured with curve)
Collar width = 16 cm (6 3/8") (excluding collar stand)

PM me if interested.

Cheers

Ian

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I've limited Internet access here, so will let this run for a few days before tackling EBay. Thanks for the interest.
Cheers
Ian

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It 'should' have *sold* but there never seems to be the knowledge base 'here' to recognise what fine jackets these are - which is a real shame, as members are missing out on some good deals in their own backyard before these items are released on the masses via Ebay..etc.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the compliments Andrew and Paddy. Yes, I'd have thought this one might have garnered a little more interest and I'm reluctant to punt it on EBay, but with the pics in the camera and another free listing weekend on the horizon I'm thinking hard. A shame as it's a well sorted regular wearer, which can't be so common in the Irvin game.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Problem is (correct me if I'm wrong Chaps - ) 'if' you go down the Ebay route (as handy as it may seem), even with the 'free weekend' listing option, don't you have to take the risk of starting it at a ridiculously 'low' figure and therefore if 'the Gods' are against you, then you could be giving it away for a song (?).

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is not in my experience the best place to sell Irvins. There is a similar lack of interest on VLJ as well. Ian you could put it on Ebay with a start price that is the lowest you would let it go for or put it on with a BIN price.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Possibly a case of 'right jacket, wrong time?'
I guess it might be prudent to hold it over and not put it on Ebay until later in the year with a similar BIN?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There would be no harm done putting on Ebay now with a BIN of £650. Recently there have been several Irvins with BIN prices that have sold very quickly.

In my 12 years, what I've learned is to start very low and let folks battle it out - they raise the price due to ego. That said, put a nice, acceptable BIN price on it. As has been said, many items are seasonally-influenced. Pricing on an Irvin certainly is now past the seasonal prime being spring is here and summer is coming. You might want to try the above, but with a reserve. If no bites, wait until late-summer to list 'er. I know I have bought many a jacket at a lower price in the summer. It's just one of many good tactics...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters