Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For Sale: various vintage tools

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
For Sale:
Vintage hand drill, marked SJ? Made in USA. Missing some sort of screw on top for handle where bits are stored, but does not effect function.
Vintage hammer head of some type, marked Bonney
Vintage hand plane. For moulding or furniture? Nice plane, is missing a little strip of wood but would not be very hard to fix.
Vintage something or other, marked ZIM MANUFACTURE, CHICAGO

All four tools for $10.00!

DSCI5744.jpg

DSCI5715.jpg

DSCI5720.jpg

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
The plane is perhaps a great price for a collector, (value wise) as they have commanded a higher price lately. The drills I am not sure about and just for anyone to know, the hammer is used for forming metal, who knows what it may have been used on, fenders of cars, metal shaping for stove hoods, hard to say. I do not collect older tools but have seen some at auctions and the plane is a higher ticket item depending on where it came from. Do you see any markings any where on it at all?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Mr. Dodd:
The something or the other tool may be an old valve lapping tool.
Yes it probably is that. I missed observing that about it, you would place it and use valve lapping grease, (has a grit to it) to clean up a valve or valve seat I believe!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
The only marking I can make out on the plane is R. Walsh.

DSC05989.jpg

DSC05991.jpg
There seems to be something else stamped on that as well, but I cannot make it out.

I am NOT an expert at all about old tools, but a few times I have been at collector's auctions on them, and I was shocked at how much planes have been sold for. I think maybe you could find something out about the name on it, and see if it may have added the value to it? Maybe someone has used it on a special line of valued furniture that may make it a real gold mine? You never know. Some strange things happen when it comes to old items that we may look at and not understand it's value!

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Hi, I finally figured out what the rest of the lettering on the plane says. It is stamped T. Marsden. R Walsh is stamped twice, diagonally and then vertically, covering the T. Marsden. On the other end of the plane it is stamped R. Walsh again, and IM.

Boodles, that's what my brother thought too. Three opinions, so #4 is a valve lapping tool!;)

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
I might want to keep that tool if I buy that 41' Chevy;) Oh, well, I can't keep everything! Sure these will be of some use to somebody here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran