Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For those of you in DFW

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been hearing the reports all evening. Please, all of you affected by these severe storms check in if you can.
You're all in my thoughts, I hope you and all of your families are safe and holding up Ok through this dangerous weather.

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
I was in Dallas as the storms approached there, and was driving back to my home in downtown Fort Worth (for the unfamiliar, that's about a 34 mile drive). I wish I had taken the train like I usually do, because I got hit by it. As I left downtown Dallas, I got hit by the storm that featured a tornado - I think I was probably not more than a handful of miles from it. My Bug got pelted by some fairly violent rain and hail, and very high winds. The hail went away, but the rain and winds kept assaulting me all the way until I got to the Riverside neighborhood in east Fort Worth. As I rolled onto 6th Street in downtown Fort Worth, the rains were gone and the sky partially cleared, and I got treated to a gorgeous sunset peaking around all the Art Deco buildings as I cruised back to the Electric Building.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Be Safe my friends.

Look after yourselves. Nature has a way of putting us in our place every so often. So take care and I hope all our members out there are safe.

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
Elaina said:
You guys ok? All the tornadoes, I know I can't have been the only one that was hit.

We're fine here Elaina. Thanks for asking. We were under the red spot for about 30 minutes or so, but mostly just an exciting show which I stood under the car port and watched untill the wind started kicking up real good. Hope you and your family are safe. Any damage?

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
Atomic Glee said:
I was in Dallas as the storms approached there, and was driving back to my home in downtown Fort Worth (for the unfamiliar, that's about a 34 mile drive). I wish I had taken the train like I usually do, because I got hit by it. As I left downtown Dallas, I got hit by the storm that featured a tornado - I think I was probably not more than a handful of miles from it. My Bug got pelted by some fairly violent rain and hail, and very high winds. The hail went away, but the rain and winds kept assaulting me all the way until I got to the Riverside neighborhood in east Fort Worth. As I rolled onto 6th Street in downtown Fort Worth, the rains were gone and the sky partially cleared, and I got treated to a gorgeous sunset peaking around all the Art Deco buildings as I cruised back to the Electric Building.

Sorry you got pummeled, Kevin, and glad you made it home safely!

Leslie and I ended up racing it home from our workplaces, and she pulled in at home right as the first few bits of hail began to fall.

Sunny

One Too Many
I'm fine, too; a power surge knocked out our DSL for most of the evening, but that was it. South Arlington got a grand total of 0.14" of rain. We're glad not to have had any hail or tornado this time, but boy! we could've used some of that water.

Elaina

One Too Many
I live next door to the grocery store that was destroyed in Haltom City, but other then minor damage, and Will not having been in one before (and let me tell you, that was forming to be the biggest tornado I have ever seen before it rained and stopped) we're all good here. Thanks for asking. :)

It could have been so much worse then a Minyard's being demolished. We had one house that got a few windows broken, and some trees that need cut down, but no one was hurt, and no one lost a house.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
are you guys serious? or maybe i just live in a hole. i haven't heard anything about this weather - and i'm catching a flight to dallas tomorrow, where i'll be all week on business.

hope you all are doing well and staying safe!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I was in Dallas all last week for work. My flight was due to leave DFW at 6:50 p.m. on Friday. At 6:30 (when we should have been boarding) we had to evacuate the terminal to go down to the baggage claim area. I was on the phone with The Mister at the time. He's from Austin originally, so he got a bit freaked out when it switched from being a watch to a warning. I was fine, but disappointed at the lack of manners exhibited in the rest of the people at the airport.

We were released to go back to the terminal at 7:10, but as *everyone* in the terminal had been sent to a non-secured area, we all had to go back through security. Took me 40 minutes (as I was one of the first to hop up when the airport employee started walking through the baggage claim area telling us we were free to return to the terminal) to get back to the security check in.

My flight was re-scheduled to leave at 8:30. We didn't board until 9:30, and then sat on the runway (had to clear the gate for other flights) until midnight waiting for our plane to be inspected for hail damage. It was determined that my plane had suffered too much damage to be air-worthy, so we had to wait for a gate to open up for us to go back and get off the plane. We re-boarded a different plane at 1:00 a.m., but our luggage didn't make it with us... nor did food service other than water and orange juice (no ice!).

It was a long bumpy ride. Several times I was sure pieces of the plane were falling off. Not a situation I want to go through again - EVER!

I got back to SeaTac at 3:15 a.m. (that's 5:15 a.m. Dallas time), and made it home by about 4:15. My luggage was delivered to me at 11:15 p.m. last night. Sheesh.

Lesson learned? Never check luggage. I'll be adjusting my travel (I do a lot for work!!!!) accordingly.

*One of the others on my team was on her plane when the hail hit. Talk about SCARY! Another on my team gave up at midnight and took a shuttle back to the hotel to try and get home on Saturday. His luggage was lost as well - but his had his insulin in it. Not good.*

cemetarian

Vendor
Wow.so many Dallas folks in here.

We got Nada here in Sherman......some wind and a tiny little 1/2 inch of rain.......and this stupid cold temps..........sorry all ya'll to the south got such bad damage.

But I am glad to see so many neighbors in here....

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Babydoll said:
*One of the others on my team was on her plane when the hail hit. Talk about SCARY! Another on my team gave up at midnight and took a shuttle back to the hotel to try and get home on Saturday. His luggage was lost as well - but his had his insulin in it. Not good.*

I'm sorry you had such a difficult time with your travel. It's too bad they weren't more organized at the airport to deal with a situation like this.

As for your coworker, that should be a lesson learned to him. Never, ever, EVER pack prescription meds. I'm diabetic as well and would never dream of checking my insulin, especially because it can be subjected to temperature extremes in the cargo hold that can destroy it.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Sorry for seeing this thread late...but yes, im fine as well...as a matter of fact, there was no hail at all in my city...quite lucky as ten minutes away there was huge golf ball hail stones raining down...

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
RaasAlHayya said:
I'm glad you made it home okay, Babydoll...and please don't let that one bad experience put you off coming to Dallas again!

--Leslie

Corp HQ is in Dallas (at the Galleria), so I'm there several times a year for training. I'll be back in July.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff