Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Forbidden items in my home...

The specifics of the law is that standard incandescent bulbs 40 watts and over are to be phased out over the next several years -- the law was passed in 2007, and will start taking effect next year when the 100 watt bulbs will be banned from manufacture, the 75s in 2013, and 40s and 60s in 2014. Three-way bulbs and other specialty bulbs are exempt, so owners of vintage floor lamps need not fear. The law specifies certain standards of energy efficiency, and doesn't ban incandescents per se, just those bulbs that fail to meet energy standards. So if someone wants to develop a high-efficiency incandescent, the market awaits.

I nearly had a fire caused by one of those florescent bulbs a couple years ago when it shorted out and started throwing sparks. It was one of those cheap Chinese ones, so by all means avoid those. And *don't* leave them burning when you leave the house.

I had one short out in my patio as well. I hope it didn't burst or anything as they are a toxic hazard with all that mercury in them.:eeek::eusa_doh:

DNO

One Too Many
I've been using the compact flourescents for about 3 years and I've only had two burn out so far. They last far longer than the incandescents and have definitely contributed to a lower electric bill. The toxic factor just means you have to use more care in disposal...we have a number of hazardous waste drop-offs in the city that are convenient. Gives me a reason to dispose of my batteries properly, as well. I was skeptical at first but I don't think I have a single incandescent left in the house now.

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
I've started buying up incandescent bulbs. The softer, warmer light is what feels like a home to me...as opposed to the harsh light of somewhere like the doctor's office. *shrug* It's an aesthetic and health thing to me.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
lol

I hate them so bad (I had to live with them for 5.5 years in my kitchen) that when my inlaws said they were putting in potlights I almost said, "What's wrong with you???" But instead I told them that a lot of people consider them dated.

A Fedora Lounger calling something "dated"? lol

Just teasing of course, I think I know the horrible objects you are referring to

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A Fedora Lounger calling something "dated"? lol

Just teasing of course, I think I know the horrible objects you are referring to

lol- Looking back, probably a bad choice of words on my part. My house is so dated it's ridiculous. Maybe that's why they didn't listen to me and went ahead with their recessed lighting plans. ;) Thank god their son doesn't share their taste in lighting, I'd have to file for divorce. lol

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I'd like to say track lighting is forbidden, but it was here when we moved it. I'd like to take it out but it's low on the list of priorities.

I agree, the lighting from the incandescent bulbs is warmer. I like that yellow glow to them, it makes me feel more at home.

I've started buying up incandescent bulbs. The softer, warmer light is what feels like a home to me...as opposed to the harsh light of somewhere like the doctor's office. *shrug* It's an aesthetic and health thing to me.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Add me to the list of those who dislike the CFL bulbs. We've got boxes of incandescents stored in our closets.

I hate recessed lighting, too. It looks so cold and 'art gallery-ish' My dad is nuts about it. When Mom and Dad built their current house, he went bat sh** crazy with the can lights. The garage even has them!!!

Can lights. Sigh. Our house was built in 1958 and the previous owners did some remodeling & "updating" in the early 1990s. While the majority of things they did were nice, they too went "batsh*t crazy" with can lights and put them in the entire house! The only rooms that don't have them are the 2 bathrooms, no joke. Our living room is a large open space and it has something like 16. Ugh. They burn through bulbs like crazy. Most of the time we don't even turn them on and just use lamps anyway, and we've converted several of them to other style light fixtures.

One day I will post a picture of the world's ugliest chandelier, which was hanging over our breakfast area when we moved in. It took these special halogen bulbs which put off a really attractive "dentist's office" blue-white light and cost something like $10 each. Awful.

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Can lights. Sigh. Our house was built in 1958 and the previous owners did some remodeling & "updating" in the early 1990s. While the majority of things they did were nice, they too went "batsh*t crazy" with can lights and put them in the entire house! The only rooms that don't have them are the 2 bathrooms, no joke. Our living room is a large open space and it has something like 16. Ugh. They burn through bulbs like crazy. Most of the time we don't even turn them on and just use lamps anyway, and we've converted several of them to other style light fixtures.

I think not using them is safer. I'm not trying to scare you, but when we took down our kitchen ceiling, the potlight wiring had burnt through the protective plastic coating on the wires, meaning that the live wires were exposed. Each one had slightly scorched the ceiling above it- you could see where the wires had blackened the ceiling. They were only probably 10-15 years old.

Luckily the ceiling above it was abestos, because they would have lit paperboard on fire. No other fixtures in the kitchen looked like this, so it's not our power or anything like that. I've seen a lot of messed up wiring in my life, and my first thought when I saw those was that we were damn lucky we weren't dead. They were the same kind they still sell in the stores. I've decided that if we ever live in a house with them again, first thing we're going to do is rip them out, and cap off the wires if we can't afford to or don't have the time to replace them. I have low vision and I'd still rather live in the dark.

I think they just get too plain hot.

We had the same wiring issue, only months after my parents built their house.

I think not using them is safer. I'm not trying to scare you, but when we took down our kitchen ceiling, the potlight wiring had burnt through the protective plastic coating on the wires, meaning that the live wires were exposed. Each one had slightly scorched the ceiling above it- you could see where the wires had blackened the ceiling. They were only probably 10-15 years old.

Luckily the ceiling above it was abestos, because they would have lit paperboard on fire. No other fixtures in the kitchen looked like this, so it's not our power or anything like that. I've seen a lot of messed up wiring in my life, and my first thought when I saw those was that we were damn lucky we weren't dead. They were the same kind they still sell in the stores. I've decided that if we ever live in a house with them again, first thing we're going to do is rip them out, and cap off the wires if we can't afford to or don't have the time to replace them. I have low vision and I'd still rather live in the dark.

I think they just get too plain hot.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Cheap furniture, since Stray Cat mentioned that line...
We're looking at furniture for the bedroom, and I don't want to exhaust my savings, but I don't want stuff cheaply glued together either!
I know there is a huge markup but geez I'm not funding the whole industry.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We're looking at furniture for the bedroom

..that's exactly why I've out those lines above. I need a cabinet, not a "plastic thing with drawers, and is covered with AWFUL wallpaper to resemble wood" cabinet.

And, another thing that will never enter my house: FAUX anything.
Here is what I'm talking about:
"You can not have anything in the house pretending to be something else. So, for example, if you want lino in the kitchen, that's fine; but you don't have lino with a tile pattern on it. So, what is it: lino, or is it pretend tiles? You mustn't have anything that is pretending to be something else"
(this was the part from the "The Grumpy Guide To Class" on You Tube) lol

Anything made of particle board:

Not too long ago I was helping one of my neighbors move some cabinets from her daughter's house to her house. The back of one of the cabinets was loose and was almost as thin as cardboard. When we tried to move it the whole thing fell apart. And then I found that the rest of the cabinet was made of particle board! This thing was so cheaply made that I'm amazed that it even left the factory in one piece!

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Anything made of particle board:

Not too long ago I was helping one of my neighbors move some cabinets from her daughter's house to her house. The back of one of the cabinets was loose and was almost as thin as cardboard. When we tried to move it the whole thing fell apart. And then I found that the rest of the cabinet was made of particle board! This thing was so cheaply made that I'm amazed that it even left the factory in one piece!

Most likely a product from IKEA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters