Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Forbidden items in my home...

Why is no one putting out the fire with, say, a garden hose, instead of just watching it burn? Is getting video more important than saving a neighbor's house?

Sort of my point. Using the correct fire extinguisher could have knocked that out easily in a few minutes. I know. I knocked out an electric dryer fire that way.
They could have called the fire department as well. I am sure they would have gotten there in a few minutes.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
About a month ago, about a week after the wave of meter installations, I was leaving the theatre after closing up and smelled smoke. I looked down the street and the hotel down the street had flames licking up the side of its back wall, right where the electrical meters were. I was stuck there for the next two hours, since the fire crews had my car blocked off in the parking lot, and as I stood there watching I was interested to see a truck from the power company drive up. A technician jumped out, ran over to the side of the building, removed something, got back into the truck, and drove away. Of course, it was all perfectly innocent, and we all know that big foreign-owned corporations would never do anything shady or corrupt, but still....

PoohBang

Suspended
US owned corporations do shady and corrupt things too...

I have the new smart meter and a week after getting it, it fired my thermostat for my Air/Heater.

About a month ago, about a week after the wave of meter installations, I was leaving the theatre after closing up and smelled smoke. I looked down the street and the hotel down the street had flames licking up the side of its back wall, right where the electrical meters were. I was stuck there for the next two hours, since the fire crews had my car blocked off in the parking lot, and as I stood there watching I was interested to see a truck from the power company drive up. A technician jumped out, ran over to the side of the building, removed something, got back into the truck, and drove away. Of course, it was all perfectly innocent, and we all know that big foreign-owned corporations would never do anything shady or corrupt, but still....

That sounds like something out of Blade Runner.

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Great. So not only do I have to worry about my house bursting into flames thanks to all the blasted can lights, now I gotta worry about the smart meter too? Jeesh!

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
You are correct maam.
Install a good smoke detector (some also detect radon and carbon monoxide), have a nice drink each evening, and relax. ;)

Edward

Bartender
It's an electronic meter for measuring electricity use, as opposed to the mechanical winding-wheel ones that have been around for the past hundred years or so. The "smart" aspect of it is that it's linked by radio signals to a central relay station to report on your electricity use so that the power company can fire all its meter readers and let the computers do all the figuring. The power companies say the savings, etc, will be passed on to the consumer (as if), and that the new system will be better and greener in every way. Opponents say the meters have the unfortunate habit of catching fire, report inaccurate readings, can be maliciously hacked, and that the radio signals can interfere with equipment in the home. It's a very hot issue around the US right now.

Ah! THank-you, I've never heard of these before. I had my old meter replaced with a digital version a few years ago, but they still have to come around and do a reading. Bit of a pain, really: I live alone with two cats, so when they call and I'm not in (as happens a lot, given I work during the day), they estimate it, but typically the estimates are based on the average family of four. I do pay my bill by direct debit, though, and the other year when I queried how their estimate was a radically different figure than my meter they realised they'd been overcharging me for years, and I received a cheque for a couple of grand. Which was nice. I wouldn't object to them being able to 'read' my meter remotely (after all, that's effectively what the telephone company does), but the other problems you mention I can see being a major pain.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Yeah they have that here Edward.
They have the ability to read the meter (digital ones) remotely.
I have the old style currently.
Usually I DO try to read the bill to see if it says estimated, because I've done a lot to my house to save energy. Not so much for the planet, but for my wallet. :D
To keep this on track I'll say any furniture covered in fur.
I've seen a few items for sale, and actually I think it's just unnatural.
Then again, I guess in a lodge or something it might be okay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran