Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ford Says He's Fit to Play Indiana Jones

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ford Says He's Fit to Play Indiana Jones
Friday October 20 1:47 PM ET

Harrison Ford says he feels "fit to continue" to play Indiana Jones despite growing older.

Ford, 64, said at the inaugural Rome Film Festival on Friday that he was delighted to team up again with directors Steven Spielberg and George Lucas for the film. Lucas co-wrote and executive produced the earlier films, which Spielberg directed.

"We did three films that stay within the same block of time. We need to move on for artistic reasons and obvious physical reasons," Ford said at a news conference. "I feel fit to continue and bring the same physical action."

"Indiana Jones 4" has been in development for over a decade, but the production has recently gained momentum. Lucas has said he and Spielberg, who would direct, are working on a script, though no details have been disclosed.

Ford played Indiana Jones in 1981's "Raiders of the Lost Ark," 1984's "Temple of Doom" and 1989's "The Last Crusade." In the last film, Jones' father was played by Sean Connery, who Ford said might also appear in the planned fourth feature.

"He's part of the emotional fabric of these films. I think there may be an opportunity, I believe that Sean is still willing and I'd be delighted if he joined us," said Ford.

Connery, who attended the Rome event last week, has said that no offer had been made.

Ford declined to provide details about a shooting schedule or film locations, adding that the directors were not yet finished with the script.

"I think it's a real opportunity to make a film as successful ... as the ones we've made before," he said.

___

Harp

I'll Lock Up
HF

I always enjoyed Ford as Indy, there's no doubt that he
made the role his own, but at sixty-four it may be time
now to hang up the bullwhip and revolver....

Time and the adventurer

At 64 he's just getting started! I have many relatives who are remarkably spry, fit and competative in the their 70's. A life of hard work often parleys into a retired life of hard travel and hard hobbies. Some of these guys, i can't keep up with.

Think of the old prospector in "The Treasure of Sierra Madre" on the go and still kicking butt and taking names!

Hondo

One Too Many
That's Moe! lol

I recall Steve McQueen saying during action scenes of the film “The Hunter” jumping across from buildings, I’m too old for this sh_t!” Like wise 62 is pushing it. But I’d love to see Ford as Indy again, spring into action and then some by computer animations, graphics, whats humanly not possible can be possible with enhance graphics. You know green screen? Plus make up artist to make his skin look younger. we'll see :eusa_clap

RBH

Bartender
I hope they make it.
If Indy were real, if he lived to 62-63 even 70 dont you think he would still be caught up in some adventure? Im hoping that in the future I will still be doing the things I love, it may be a little slower and with a little more caution but I hope to be plugging along.
I do hope they dont go overboard with the physical stuff for Indy to do, but even still I think it would be an adventure we would love to be along for!

Lord Jagged

New in Town
I think Harrison would be great continuing with the right story. Look at Connery in League of Extraordinary Gentleman for an older actor still playing action roles with class.

Feraud

Bartender
Lord Jagged said:
Look at Connery in League of Extraordinary Gentleman for an older actor still playing action roles with class.
"Playing the role with class". This perfectly describes the better action stars (regardless of age) from the rest.
It is not Sylvester Stallone stepping into the ring "one last time":eusa_doh: at 60 years old in Rocky Balboa but Bogey at 56 in The Desperate Hours or John Wayne at 69 years old in The Shootist.

My only hope for Indy IV is that Spielberg & Co. keep Indiana Jones away from the goofier aspects of the character for one final action packed movie.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Prof. Jones, age 85

I can recall a brief television series (fifteen years ago?) where
Indiana Jones appeared to be in his mid-eighties, a retired
octogenarian who frequented museums. One particular episode
had him sitting near a collection of Russian photographs taken during
the 1917 Revolt-one of which depicted him running across a street
at age what, 17-18 or so. The museum curator approaches the
older man, and politely informs him that it is closing time etc., and
Jones begins explaining the story behind the photographs....
It was a marvelous adaptation of the Indiana Jones character...does
anyone else remember this program?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Young Indy

That's it. I always thought that was a fine and intelligent program-
something that could have been developed as a long play series....

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's OLD Indy....

IndyOld.jpg

..playing the blues!

-dixon cannon

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

From what I've read, the new film would be set in the 1950s, so it would be a good 10 years or so from the last film.

I just hope they get the older Indy right this time because they sure failed at it in the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles where the 80 year-old Indy had somehow regressed into a folksy unsophisticated avuncular character. Dr. Jones was an international traveler and a university professor. Just because he grew old was no reason to have him speaking in unsophisticated folkisms like, "Now I reckon..." and with this heavy Midwestern bucolic accent. The character was so poorly executed, it was edited out of some later tape versions of the show. :eusa_doh:

When it comes to George Lucas and someone else, well, you just can't trust these guys.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

They'll make it, and my whole family will be there, front and center. Good or bad, I'm in and all applause.
An Indiana Jones movie? Like I'm gonna stay home?

My daughters have just discovered the first three films and are watching them over and over and over...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner