Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Forgotten Advertising Characters of the Era

A cross post from the historic train thread. NYC ran a line of historic subway cars today and there was vintage advertising on them as well. Knowing Lizzie's a fan of Uneeda biscuits, I took this pic for her (there are a bunch more subway pics from today over in the historic train thread):

IMG_4544.JPG

Spectacular! And we could say that "car cards" of the type that fit into those runners at the top of the car are another vintage thing that has disappeared in our lifetime.

Took it just for you.

Check out the other pics over in the train thread - I think you'll like them.

Also, oddly, NYC still has those car cards and runners, but I could see them loosing out to digital screens in the future. Today, even with screen prices plummeting, it is probably still cheaper to do cards than the large number of screens they'd need in each car.

Lizzie, any idea how I can post the 44 MB video I took of the train (it's 22 seconds long) as the limit is 19.6, but it looks like people have much longer videos posted?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think if you posted it to You Tube and then linked to it from there it ought to work.

It's been a while since i rode the NYC subway, but the cars I've ridden lately in Boston don't use those kind of cards anymore. They do have frames on the wall for postery things, but that's not the same as a real car card. I once had the idea of putting up tracks on my office ceiling and running cards around it, but never got around to doing it...

I think if you posted it to You Tube and then linked to it from there it ought to work.

It's been a while since i rode the NYC subway, but the cars I've ridden lately in Boston don't use those kind of cards anymore. They do have frames on the wall for postery things, but that's not the same as a real car card. I once had the idea of putting up tracks on my office ceiling and running cards around it, but never got around to doing it...

Thanks re YouTube. That's a cool idea for your office - I assume, like everything, the cards are "collectables" today and probably not cheap?

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
I just scanned through this thread and I didn't notice anyone mention one of my favorite characters, The Hamm's Bear. Here in the Midwest Hamm's is still available and regaining a foot hold on it's popularity. I drink a large quantity of the stuff along with my other favorite, Grain Belt also quite popular again.

3fingers

One Too Many
I just scanned through this thread and I didn't notice anyone mention one of my favorite characters, The Hamm's Bear. Here in the Midwest Hamm's is still available and regaining a foot hold on it's popularity. I drink a large quantity of the stuff along with my other favorite, Grain Belt also quite popular again.
I loved the Hamms bear. The old TV commercials were great.

Haversack

One Too Many
Hamm's used to be popular out here in Northern California too. The Hamm's brewery Bryant Street in San Francisco had an iconic animated sign that overlooked the freeway and Seals Stadium. A gigantic goblet that filled and overflowed again and again.

While the image is still with us, it was too cool of an old ad not to post:

9d2c44744fa5d23d72daae0c8207f522.jpg

And credit to whomever for coming up with a clunky to eat bar that works despite itself - you can't really get it to break where you want it to and it's awkward to bite into, but darn it, it's still a fine candy bar. My favorite version is this one:

Toblerone_DarkChocHoneyNougat_400g_1024x1024.jpg

But I won't say "no" to any of them. And, yes, in desperation (or just a weak-willed moment), I have overpaid for one from a hotel's minibar (I'm not proud of myself).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Animated characters advertising beer had a major vogue in the late fifties and early sixties, just the precise point in time to impress them indelibly on the boomer consciousness. Northeasters got to enjoy the delightful Bert and Harry Piel -- whose TV and radio commercials were voiced by none other than Bob Elliot and Ray Goulding. The Brooklyn-based PIel Bros. Brewing Company made long use of Bert and Harry, even reviving them for one last call in the early '70s before the company vanished into the maw of Pabst.

Not to be outdone, the Narragansett Brewing Co, producers of New England's most popular beer, signed up the Broadway comedy team of Mike Nichols and Elaine May to try to give a beer associated with clambakes, lawnmowers, and the Red Sox a more urbane image --

I loved the Hamms bear. The old TV commercials were great.

So cool. Definitely from the "pound your message into their heads" school of advertising.

Animated characters advertising beer had a major vogue in the late fifties and early sixties, just the precise point in time to impress them indelibly on the boomer consciousness. Northeasters got to enjoy the delightful Bert and Harry Piel -- whose TV and radio commercials were voiced by none other than Bob Elliot and Ray Goulding. The Brooklyn-based PIel Bros. Brewing Company made long use of Bert and Harry, even reviving them for one last call in the early '70s before the company vanished into the maw of Pabst.

Not to be outdone, the Narragansett Brewing Co, producers of New England's most popular beer, signed up the Broadway comedy team of Mike Nichols and Elaine May to try to give a beer associated with clambakes, lawnmowers, and the Red Sox a more urbane image --

These two are gems - the second one is outright entertaining - great animation / movement.

And I love the "scientific" proof used in the first one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ