Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal tall boots?

Succotash

New in Town
Planning on getting married soon. I'm a boot wearer. I feel most comfortable in them...its the heft, the structure. Makes me feel grounded. And I'll admit, I wear boots every day, so when I actually do wear a regular old pair o' shoes i fell too damn short. That little vertical lift sure is nice and besides, its what Im used to.

So, black riding boots?

Or is there any type of "tuxedo boot" I don't know about? I know its unorthodox but I don't mind breaking rules.

Thanks gents.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
They aren't tall (only ankle) but Balmoral boots are good for formal wear.
balmoral-boot-1.JPG

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
Balmoral boots are great. Also, something like this?

i-wkjLTh4-L.jpg

The only ones I know of though cost an arm and a leg. Though I guess that would mean you'd only need one, which would reduce the cost.

Edward

Bartender

i-wkjLTh4-L.jpg

The only ones I know of though cost an arm and a leg. Though I guess that would mean you'd only need one, which would reduce the cost.

Those would be most correct with formal daywear. They'd be totally wrong with black tie ("tuxedo", if you must) - but then surely no-one here would be enough of a barbarian to wear black tie to a daytime wedding?

Rathdown

Practically Family
Evening clothes are intended to be worn with low quarter patent leather shoes of either the slip on or lace up variety. The only acceptable boot (and it would be really "iffy") is a proper British army officer's Wellington boot in patent leather; these are worn with the trousers over the boot tops, not tucked in. Anything less will look dreadful. As far as riding boots are concerned, they are only worn with riding britches, and never with formal evening attire.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Planning on getting married soon. I'm a boot wearer. I feel most comfortable in them...its the heft, the structure. Makes me feel grounded. And I'll admit, I wear boots every day, so when I actually do wear a regular old pair o' shoes i fell too damn short. That little vertical lift sure is nice and besides, its what Im used to.

So, black riding boots?

Or is there any type of "tuxedo boot" I don't know about? I know its unorthodox but I don't mind breaking rules.

Thanks gents.

The question with be: What are you wearing for your wedding? The boots will need to blend into the completed outfit.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
pikeur_dressagetailcoat_crop.jpg

If you really, really can't go without tall boots, this is an option.
But be prepared to answer lots of questions about the whereabout of your horse. :)

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you are wearing a tuxedo just make sure they go all right. Something that is black and has a nice shine.
If you asked my opinion a few years ago I would have said suck it up and get some proper dress shoes. However the more wedding I go to, the more anything goes. The first one of my friends that got married had a cowboy wedding. That means a crisp collared shirt, black wranglers and cowboy boots. Me in my grey suit was over dressed.
It’s your wedding have fun and congratulations
Johnny

kyboots

Practically Family
If you are wearing a tuxedo just make sure they go all right. Something that is black and has a nice shine.
If you asked my opinion a few years ago I would have said suck it up and get some proper dress shoes. However the more wedding I go to, the more anything goes. The first one of my friends that got married had a cowboy wedding. That means a crisp collared shirt, black wranglers and cowboy boots. Me in my grey suit was over dressed.
It’s your wedding have fun and congratulations
Johnny

I could not agree more. It's your wedding do what you want. If you want a nice black zip boot or a pair of Wesco's anything goes. If it's informal, wear what you always do. People will not be sitting home after the wedding talking about your boots. If they do, you need more friends. This is your time so "come as you are"! Congrats.! John

Last edited:

Succotash

New in Town

i-wkjLTh4-L.jpg

I look for that type of "latchet" boot all the time and can never find a pair that actually buttons. I had a pair of Stacy Adams but they zip up the side. Where is this pair that you speak of?

Fifty150

One Too Many
I typically wear Tony Lama cowboy boots with semi formal black tie, and even formal white tie. If you get a basic black pair of cowboy boots and spit shine them, they will look good. A couple of years ago, I found a pair of Dr. Martens made with velvet. Black velvet boots can be very elegant. Especially if you're pairing them with a black velvet jacket. Best of all is the comfort level. A velvet boot does not need to be broken in, and you get to walk around on those super comfortable air-cushioned soles.

kyboots

Practically Family
Those are beautiful boots all you need is to just make a choice. I personally like the more "dressy" cowboy boot. Wearing a boot made from smooth "belly" alligator is wicked. A very polished Tony Lama or Lucchese alligator boot in dark brown or black would look beautiful and lets you wear boots. Of course they will cost more than your tux and her dress put together; they will be pretty. If you have boots like that you are all set. I had one pair of "belly alligator" very dark brown Lucchese boots that would go with any suit I ever owned; cost more too but I loved them and they would turn heads. Any of these boots would look great.--John

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
A couple of years ago, I found a pair of Dr. Martens made with velvet. Black velvet boots can be very elegant. Especially if you're pairing them with a black velvet jacket. Best of all is the comfort level. A velvet boot does not need to be broken in, and you get to walk around on those super comfortable air-cushioned soles.

I am sure velvet boots could be elegant, but the ones you show us here are most certainly not. They are shaped like work boots and are chunky and heavy looking. Very out of place in my opinion.

As to cowboy boots: I am sure the more formal types would look good.

dnjan

One Too Many
Evening clothes are intended to be worn with low quarter patent leather shoes of either the slip on or lace up variety. The only acceptable boot (and it would be really "iffy") is a proper British army officer's Wellington boot in patent leather; these are worn with the trousers over the boot tops, not tucked in. Anything less will look dreadful. As far as riding boots are concerned, they are only worn with riding britches, and never with formal evening attire.
Please consider me and my advice in the category of dreadful. So Be It. I wear boots for orthotic reasons, and when black tie is called for I put on a pair of highly-polished Justin lace-up Ropers.

Some black spraypaint covers the shiney eylets, and as far as I am concerned, anyone there who is more concerned about my footwear than the purpose of the event needs to re-calibrate.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Please consider me and my advice in the category of dreadful. So Be It.

Forget what others think. Your sense of style is what defines who you are. If you like spit shined ropers, then who cares what someone is muttering under his breath as he is looking down his nose. Break from the norm. Be unconventional. As Mongols say when serving sheep's head palate to their daughters, "be creative". Don't let anyone talk you out of that powder blue tuxedo. Patent leather Bates High Gloss parade shoes gets real boring when you're not marching in your JROTC uniform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy