Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal Wear Primer

Warbaby

One Too Many
I do not think those are crossover ties. They look to be bowties but under the collar look like two crossed ends.

Right you are, Feraud - I grabbed the image, increased the resolution to 5000 ppi and enlarged it. Those are definitely bowties. At that magnification, you can clearly see the wrap-around and the bowtie ends.

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
More stroller questions:
Is it acceptable to wear a vest underneath a double-breasted jacket? Does it depend at at all on the button stance?

Also, should a stroller have vents? I know they're frowned-upon for tuxedos...

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
More stroller questions:
Is it acceptable to wear a vest underneath a double-breasted jacket? Does it depend at at all on the button stance?

Also, should a stroller have vents? I know they're frowned-upon for tuxedos...
I would personally say, that like with DB 3pc suits it is acceptable to wear a waistcoat under a DB jacket. Whether there is any point in doing so depends on the button stance. I'm assembling a stroller myself and my jacket is DB but just low enough to show one of the buttons of my waistcoat when buttoned so I will wear a waistcoat under it.

As for vents, I don't know but I wouldn't have thought so. Only sporty suits had vents during the 30s and 40s, when strollers were at the height of popularity.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Yes, waistcoats must be worn for black lounge whether they be SB or DB. DB is often unbuttoned or taken off so you must have a waistcoat on for dignity. The waistcoat should peek out a bit from the opening of a buttoned coat.

As for vents, either double or none, the latter is better.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Re: my evening waistcoat, here it is being worn for real:

63913_468731792062_688147062_6361438_2666074_n.jpg

157067_468732012062_688147062_6361443_3812792_n.jpg

draws

Practically Family
formal3.jpg
[/IMG]
I have been collecting components of a full dress outfit for some time and have finally completed
the set. The shirt is a vintage Rochester starched bib with Marcella waistcoat and self Tie. The tail suit
is 55% polyester and 45% Wool blend and was a perfect fit on receipt. All items were ebay purchases.
This photo was taken just prior to leaving for the Vintage Commonwealth Dancers Feziwig Christmas Ball
in Salem, Mass. Lots of nice comments and beautifull vintage outfits.

Last edited:

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
You could wear patent/non-patent oxfords (with caps or not) with white tie, it's just not as dignified and as formal as pumps (and also because pumps are the only thing that hasn't changed since Brummell's time (unless you count the ribbon fob which I think only I have worn legitimately in modern times as others seem to prefer the albert chain on waistcoat combo) and I like that solid link to the past).

Black tie is informal so you could pretty much wear oxfords/etc (patent or not); pumps are only optional.

TBH, patent is really subjective: as long as the shoes are polished very shiny then they are good enough.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Shaquille O'Neil conducting the Boston Pops.

............................:wacko:

shaquille-oneal-conducts-boston-pops.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic