Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal Wear Primer

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
More or less finished:

148144_451551987062_688147062_6121475_7114533_n.jpg

76128_452056622062_688147062_6127217_1946970_n.jpg

75108_452056342062_688147062_6127212_1563532_n.jpg

73045_452056452062_688147062_6127215_6172383_n.jpg

Pardon the odd waistcoat stud.

Getting the button alignments right was the most tricky and time consuming aspect of making it... Still waiting to get a 2-pronged buckle through the post to finish the buckle attachment.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Okay, completed. Buckle installed, minor flaws corrected, washed, waistcoat studs gotten, etc.

76692_452577032062_688147062_6131585_22000_n.jpg

Selection of my waistcoat studs:

75305_452579612062_688147062_6131596_2163253_n.jpg

Top left: Richard James Weldon flat 22L
Bottom left: RJW cupped 18L
Top right: modern, from a RTW waistcoat 18L
Bottom right: VSC/Darcy's 20L

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Looks like it's coming along! Not being handy with a needle and thread (or anything requiring manual dexterity, for that matter), I'm still waiting to find a decent used tuxedo from the same thrift shop where I got my morning coat. Alas, I'm still waiting. Plenty of slipped black morning waistcoats, though.

Pardon my absence from the forum, by the way; I've been in and out of an internet connection while my wife and I moved into our new apartment, and clothes and such have generally fallen by the wayside. (That, and I've gained an interest in the "English country" style, which means that I've been spending my time lately looking at tweed, moleskin, and corduroy.) But here's a question for the rare daytime city occasion:

With a stroller, is it ever acceptable to have turn-ups/cuffs on the trousers? It's not something that I'd ever do with proper, striped dress slacks, but some '30s illustrations (Esquire or Apparel Arts, I forget which) have men wearing strollers with what appear to be checked trousers with cuffs. Is this actually possible for the more casual end of semi-formal morning dress, or was it more of a fad from the era of excess fabric all around? (Or are my eyes just playing tricks on me?)

Cobden

Practically Family
My ha'p'eth would be that with turn-ups, it ceases to be a black lounge and instead becomes a black jacket with separate trousers; though I suppose it depends on whether you consider a black lounge the most formal of informal dress, the least formal of formal dress, or semi-formal - as such there is some leeway

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Innnnteresting picture from Shorpy.com . Here's a pic of a gentlemens' banquet from 1920. There is a fascinating array of formal wear in evidence. I made a rather extensive comment (my username on Shorpy is Jazznocracy) that I hope will stand the scrutiny of my more knowledgable fellow Loungers.
http://www.shorpy.com/node/9351?size=_original
And can someone please confirm my feeling that the two men in front are NOT wearing spats? I'm thinking that's the style of shoes that would be worn then, patent leather on the lower part, and calfskin for the upper part. What would that style of shoes be called?

Last edited:

Cobden

Practically Family
Yes, they are not wearing spats; not sure if what the technical term is, but I've heard them refered to as spatboots

Hap Hapablap

One of the Regulars
What a great snapshot of stylistic eccentricities and details: two button sleeves, three; standing collars, rounded ones; two stripes with dinner jacket; no stripes at all. I wish I was there!

dnjan

One Too Many
What a great snapshot of stylistic eccentricities and details: two button sleeves, three; standing collars, rounded ones; two stripes with dinner jacket; no stripes at all. I wish I was there!

And interesting mix of ivory and black waistcoats, as well as white and black ties.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Actually I think they're Victorian. Interesting, aren't they? Never seen them with black tie before. I think this picture is a real eye opener in general. Blows away a few myths, and illustrates a few esoteric points that the real experts have often asserted, such as the black waistcoat with white tie.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Also proves what I have been coming to think of: the formal dress of earlier periods were rather free and varied whilst the formal dress of today is very restrictive and almost anti-progressive (in terms of 'the rules' and not that wearing formal dress is restrictive, etc).

Feraud

Bartender
I noticed that two chaps in the front row are wearing those odd cross-over ties (don't know what they're called) - I always thought those were a relatively recent (60s-70s) invention.
I do not think those are crossover ties. They look to be bowties but under the collar look like two crossed ends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit