Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal Wear Primer

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
My black tie

blacktie1_.jpg

blacktie4_1.jpg

here's a picture that shows the fit a little better
blacktie3_1.jpg

here is the other waistcoat
blacktie5_1.jpg
blacktie6_1.jpg

Hang on, isn't the DB a day waistcoat?!?! The other one is fine. Other than that, beautiful as always!

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Yep. Thought I've seen a DB being used somewhere though.. And black tie isn't as strict, so I think a DB could be allowed?

It's not the mere fact that it's DB that's the problem, it's the fact that it's cut with a high opening and a button stance that is typical of day waistcoats. If you had a black DB waistcoat cut like the white one Charlie made for himself and posted photos of earlier in the thread, it'd be great.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
It's not the mere fact that it's DB that's the problem, it's the fact that it's cut with a high opening and a button stance that is typical of day waistcoats. If you had a black DB waistcoat cut like the white one Charlie made for himself and posted photos of earlier in the thread, it'd be great.

That's what I was getting at.

Hap Hapablap

One of the Regulars
I just encountered this disapproval in the novel Babbitt. The title character refers to his evening clothes as a tuxedo, and his wife rebukes him for it.

-Dave

I just read this, myself! What a great book. The thing I love about Lewis, Tarkington, et al is the insight provided into what people really did, said, thought back then. I think the average man hated dressing up as much as he does now.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I just read this, myself! What a great book. The thing I love about Lewis, Tarkington, et al is the insight provided into what people really did, said, thought back then. I think the average man hated dressing up as much as he does now.

I think you’re probably right, but “dressing up” meant something to a higher standard than it does today. A business suit (especially one made in the ‘20s) is far more comfortable when compared with formalwear. And I’m sure George Babbitt would never have dreamed of leaving the house in his decade’s version of sweat pants and a snowmobile jacket (overalls and a chore coat?).

-Dave

dnjan

One Too Many
Perhaps with higher-waisted pants you wouldn't be showing the button that appears in the first photograph.

Big Daddy

New in Town
On the evening canes point: the reaon that Buchanan and Astaire use malacca canes in The Bandwagon is because ebony is far too heavy to dance that routine with. There used to be stage canes, made of sheared, ebonized malacca but, for some reason, in the film they used natural, whole, clouded malacca.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Sorry I am not used to this forum. The picture of you is really nice, why don´t you use a cane?

A. I didn't have one physically at the time.
B. I didn't own one then.
C. Wasn't into canes then.
D. This was a pose for a photo inside my house when about to leave (for my Facebook profile picture) so hardly would I have in the manner of things bothered to take a photo with one if I had one at the time at all, etc, since it was a quick photo.
E. I don't think it matters much in the whole scheme of things.
F. Now that I do have a cane I only use it when I feel like it is appropriate to do so.
G. If you see my other photos, I did have a cane in hand. e.g.
29229_401109197062_688147062_4933408_6619415_n.jpg

Hang on, you're not Mikael from Sweden by any chance are you (in which case you should know the answer to your question already through Facebook!)?

Bugsy

One Too Many
A. I didn't have one physically at the time.
B. I didn't own one then.
C. Wasn't into canes then.
D. This was a pose for a photo inside my house when about to leave (for my Facebook profile picture) so hardly would I have in the manner of things bothered to take a photo with one if I had one at the time at all, etc, since it was a quick photo.
E. I don't think it matters much in the whole scheme of things.
F. Now that I do have a cane I only use it when I feel like it is appropriate to do so.
G. If you see my other photos, I did have a cane in hand. e.g.
29229_401109197062_688147062_4933408_6619415_n.jpg

Hang on, you're not Mikael from Sweden by any chance are you (in which case you should know the answer to your question already through Facebook!)?

To say you are elegant, Mr. Huang, would be a massive understatement.

ws1

New in Town
I agree indeed. Mr. Huang is even better and more elegant with the cane.
I´m sorry if you, Mr Huang thought my question about your cane was to personal, I didn´t mean to be intrusive.
I am from Sweden, but I´m not Mikael. I´m Peter and I´m not affiliated to and have only slightly knowledge about facebook.

rlandrews3rd

New in Town
I have question about shirt studs that I will pose to the group. I am fairly tall and as the evening progresses my cummerbund starts to slide down, revealing my white shirt button. Should I spring for an extra set of studs so I can cover this, or just not worry about it? The cummerbund is not of a high-quality, and the elastic may be giving too much causing the droop. Or it's just me getting older and having a slight belly!

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
I agree indeed. Mr. Huang is even better and more elegant with the cane.
I´m sorry if you, Mr Huang thought my question about your cane was to personal, I didn´t mean to be intrusive.
I am from Sweden, but I´m not Mikael. I´m Peter and I´m not affiliated to and have only slightly knowledge about facebook.

Sorry I was a bit sarcastic in tone, and I didn't take it personally. Maybe lost in translation on my part as your statement was put forward as a presumptive question ('why aren't your holding a cane?') rather than an unassuming declaration ('you'll look better with a cane').

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn