Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Found under band.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
img060.jpg

First time I've seen one of these. Won a Hardeman beaver on the bay and this was under the sweat. Pics to be posted of hat on new hats thread.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
This is a photo from an ebay action. I don't remember the hat it came from, but I think the label is English.
hattersunionlabel.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I been working on dating American hats (well, okay, only those made in the C&K factories) by their union labels, but it hasn't been as fruitful as I would hope. If a C&K-produced hat (C&K/Dobbs/Disney) has a United Hatters of North America label, the hat was made between 1896 and 1909. After that, the union was gone from their factories. Hat Corporation of America became a union shop again in 1946, so if your hat (C&K/Dobbs/Cavanagh/Knox/Dunlap/Berg/Byron) has a United Hatters, Cap and Millinery Workers International Union label, it was made after that year.

Does this mean that a hat without a label was made between 1909 and 1946? Not necessarily, as the label could have been removed, fallen out in a cleaning, etc. But it could be a good indicator.

So, it's not a perfect system, but it's helpful for indentifying a post-war hat.

This did help prove that the tiny C&K Derby I have is at least 100 years old, as it has the earlier label.

I'm pulling together information on the unions, so I'll post something on identifying hats by union labels at some point. The trouble is that different factories were organized at different times, and weren't always union shops, so there are a lot of dates to sift through.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav