Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fountain pens

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Nice looking pen! I stopped by Pen Haven, a local pen store in my area, yesterday to check on the status of a 1930's Parker Vacumatic they're restoring. It belonged to my late grandfather and you can tell he used this pen a LOT! It's not only worth it to me to have this pen restored from the writing point of view, but also because of its history and sentimental value. Since Vacumatics are tricky to repair, they gave me an estimate of $40 or so, which to me, is more than worth it, especially when I've seen the price of some other vintage Vacumatics of the era.

I agree with John, if you're fortunate enough to be near a good pen shop with skilled repairmen, give them your support. I've always liked to be able to talk individually with folks like this because it gives me a greater sense of their character. Pen Haven is also a little backlogged with repairs at the moment, but it's still worth waiting two more weeks. I'd rather have a job done well, than a job done too quickly.:)

Oh, John, I picked up a copy of Paul Erano's Fountain Pens Past & Present while I was there, too. It's even signed by the author! Louis Wofsy (who's the one repairing my pen) said that if I bring the book to the D.C. pen show in August, he knows Paul and can have him inscribe anything I want in the book. "Unless it's somethihg bad about me," he said. The guys at Pen Haven have a great sense of humour. It's almost impossible for me to leave that shop without having shared a good conversation first!

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Looking for vintage pens, a person should ask...?

I really like the idea of getting back into fountain pens (in the late seventies, I was required to write only in Calligraphy for two years). When looking at vintage pens, what are the most important things to ask the seller? Even in the 70s, all the pens I used had cartridges. When buying a pen that refills with a plunger type mechanism, is there an ink sac a person should ask about? Do those sacs deteriorate? Are they easily replaced? Is it easy to change nibs with any fountain pen? Will any nib work on any brand of pen? Aside from cartridges and plungers, what other types of refilling are there? What other features might a person look for in a vintage pen? What are the best inks to look for (bottled and cartridge)?

Also, I noticed that one of the places I completely waste my money sometimes, Levenger (Levenger), seems to have a very large selection of nice pens (just never really hit me before), and the prices seem to be quite good with the little comparing I've done. What do folks think of them? They're like a readers/writers playland. Lots of it overpriced and unnecessary, but some of it sublime.

Adam For your Questions.

adamgottschalk said:
When buying a pen that refills with a plunger type mechanism, is there an ink sac a person should ask about? Do those sacs deteriorate? Are they easily replaced?
Pens that have piston fillers like Pelikan and Montblanc tend to be problem free for a very long time. Vintage pens that had sacs, the sacs were rubber and broke down. New replacements are of a silicone base and should last a LOOOONG time. For the experience 9 out of 10 sacs are easy to replace. Most repair guys do this daily and have a source for all sizes and styles usually.

Plunger types tend to be a hard rebuild, such as Sheaffer. Not everyone will do them, you have to search on line for a repair guy on some of the pen forums maybe.
-------------
Is it easy to change nibs with any fountain pen? Will any nib work on any brand of pen? Aside from cartridges and plungers, what other types of refilling are there? What other features might a person look for in a vintage pen? What are the best inks to look for (bottled and cartridge)?
Nibs come in a variety of sizes and shapes, curves, etc. For some pens you have to use what was made for them. Other pens may have similar dimensions as a variety of makers and you can exchange them. So no, any nib will not work for any brand. However with a little luck and some shaping a nib meister may be able to exchnge or create the type of nib you would want into a pen. Be prepared for sticker shock for that type of work.
Pelikan may have the largest and widest variety of nib types to choose from and theirs are easy to swap out. In the vintage the Esterbrook pens were also easy to swap and had about 50 different nib styles that came with screw in feeds, easy to change and great variety.

Piston fillers work like a syringe but you turn the stem, so it is like a cork screw drive. Many cartridge pens come with a "converter" which works like a piston filler.

First a pen should fit your hand, small medium or large. Second you must like the feel of the nib for your writing style, upright or lower angle to the paper.
Does it come with a nib style you like Fine Medium broad or Extra fine to Double broad. Obliques, Italics, Stubs. If you have a pen you like but can't get a good nib you can get the broad and have it sculpted to the shape you want by a nib-meister.

Inks are subjective, but Montblac is often thought to be a clogging ink. All inks that are made by a pen maker are supposed to be matched to their pens... Private Reserve has a wide selection of colors that can be mixed to make custom colors.
-----------
Also, I noticed that one of the places I completely waste my money sometimes, Levenger (Levenger), seems to have a very large selection of nice pens (just never really hit me before), and the prices seem to be quite good with the little comparing I've done. What do folks think of them?
Levengers regular prices on pens are MSRP or Higher! With a little searching you can find most pens for 10-15% or even 20% off MSRP on line. If you can get a copy of Pen World International or Stylus and check the back for good sources.

Here you have two outlooks to balance: one) if you have a local pen shop try to support them BUT Two) don't get raked over the coals and pay MSRP when you don't need to, wait for sales and search search search. Pens you simply have to try out for a while to get a grasp as to what you are looking for. Also, if you are going for a high dollar pen, check the forums and see if there are problems. I have a couple of dry line italian pens I kick myself for getting, and am trying to get them adjusted to work the way they should. A lot of problems can be corrected some can't.

Do A search for some of these
Fountain Pen Shop Monrovia
Fountain Pen Hospital
Swisher Pen
World Lux
Airline International
Penopoly
Pen Haven
Art Brown
Joon
Bromfield Pen Shop
Pendemonium
The Ink Flow
Pen Club of America

SO vintage can be great and new is good too, but information is what helps you choose wisely. See if there's a local Pen Club, talk to those guys, they will help a lot.

Sincerely,

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Scritch-Scrtach

Is it possible for the nib to be just worn down? The Duofold above feels very scratchy/dragging on paper (I haven't dipped it yet). If I have the nib replaced with an incorrect nib (if needed), won't that hurt the value?

Nib Repair

scotrace said:
Is it possible for the nib to be just worn down? The Duofold above feels very scratchy/dragging on paper (I haven't dipped it yet). If I have the nib replaced with an incorrect nib (if needed), won't that hurt the value?
Woah! Hold on! Nibs can be scratchy for a variety of reasons, most do NOT require replacement. If a nib has been dropped the tines can be out of alignment and it will be scratchy. They can be re-aligned. The iridium tipping can be damaged and needing to be smoothed to eliminate the scratching. If the iridium is gone the original nib can be re-tipped and restored. Yes an incorect nib would lower the value, but if you are lucky, yours can be fixed or an orignal nib may be available to replace yours. Also there are non-original nibs that are semi correct and will lower the value a little bit. Duofold Senior nibs were often replaced by Parker's later Arrow nibs, since their supply dried up. Also you may find a "parts" pen to cannabalize for the nib to replace yours so there are options. You could replace with something that works until the time is right and you can afford to get the nib repaired or replaced.

Go here and on the left by the bottom is a section on nib repair.
http://www.nibs.com/

Also go here for repair reccomendations.
http://www.tech-writer.net/repairandrestoration.html

I have a couple of 1930's pens where the nib is not original. Sometime back then the nib got ruined and the repair guy fitted another nib so a much needed pen could continue as a writer. Does it invalidate the pen? For purists maybe but for a guy that prefers to write with his pens, no, cause they're doing what they're supposed to be doing, laying ink to paper comfortably.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
From what little I know, depending upon the condition of the nib, it can be smoothed out to take care of that problem. While at Pen Haven recently, I saw one of the owners take a customer's pen, and with what looked like very fine sandpaper, run it between the tines of the nib. This helped the ink flow. Still, I know you can have the nib refurbished to a certain extent. I believe you can also replace the nib with another identical nib of the same maker/vintage. I think it only hurts its value if the pen was mint and unused, but if the pen is a "user," this may actually help it, in some cases where the pen has generally seen much better days and needs a complete overhaul.

John, and I right in thinking this? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: I just noticed your post after I sent this!

bink

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thanks!

Thanks very, very much gentlemen for your help and advice. I located a restorer not too far from me and it should be back in my hands in a week or so. I'm really anxious to use this pen!

Now... off to the ink thread.... :)

binkmeisterRick said:
depending upon the condition of the nib, it can be smoothed out to take care of that problem. take a customer's pen, and with what looked like very fine sandpaper, run it between the tines of the nib. This helped the ink flow. you can have the nib refurbished to a certain extent. replace the nib with another identical nib of the same maker/vintage. I think it only hurts its value if the pen was mint and unused, but if the pen is a "user," this may actually help it, John, and I right in thinking this? Please correct me if I'm wrong. EDIT: I just noticed your post after I sent this!
bink
It takes a praticed hand to do the smoothing!!!! They often use the WET / DRY sandpaper used for auto paints in really high grits 1500,1800,3000. Also micro grit paper too.

Aligning the tines and polishing helps the ink flow like what PH did.

If a pen was in bad condition any refurbishing will help the value.

Again to replace the nib is a secondary option, often it will respond to the nib meister's handiwork. To replace, some nibs are readily available and therefore not as expensive as the rare nibs.

zeus36

A-List Customer
I believe the nib is scratchy because it was used by another person and has worn in to that person's style and angle of handwriting. These things become personalized to the owner, which is why I do not loan out my fountain pens.

I have found that I can adjust a vintage pen nib to MY style ( I'm a non-hook Lefty) using Crocus cloth (fine polishing) and the pen filled with plain water. If that doesn't help, then it's off to the professionals. But I will still "run-in" the nib when it comes back.

zeus36 said:
I believe the nib is scratchy because it was used by another person and has worn in to that person's style and angle of handwriting. These things become personalized to the owner, which is why I do not loan out my fountain pens. I have found that I can adjust a vintage pen nib to MY style ( I'm a non-hook Lefty) using Crocus cloth (fine polishing) and the pen filled with plain water. If that doesn't help, then it's off to the professionals. But I will still "run-in" the nib when it comes back.
There is a lot of truth to your statements but the time it takes for a person to change the set of the iridium ball, it takes a lot longer than you'd think. You'll get arguments back and forth on this, but I doubt letting some one else write with your pen for a few pages will significantly change the set. Remember the iridium tip is tiny, but expected to last a lifetime, they used "iridium" since it is a very hard metal mixture and doesn't wear easily. The nib smoothers must use some type of fine grit "sandpaper" to effect the changes in shape they want, and even then it takes a time and work to make these changes. So, when writing on regular paper it takes a very long time.

If you get a vintage pen that has been well used over many years the nib will often be set into a configuration stemming from that person's style of writing. For you to use it, if your holding and writing style is different, may take an adjustment to the nib. However, if you write with it you may discover the original owners preffered angle and used that way it can be very smooth. If lucky you can find someone that wrote as you do and it is like the pen has been broken in for you.

For me it is rare to get a nib that was worn to be a bad writer, usually the pen has ben dropped on the nib with tines bent or iridium damaged that needs the nib meister care.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
This week.

My Duofold is due to come back this week (sent it last Tuesday). Anxious to try it and I'll post some notes about the restoration.
Turns out the nib was cracked, and I had it replaced with an NOS correct nib. The crack may account for the scratchy feel?

Hopefully the Pellikan inks I ordered will get here bfore the pen! :)

I'm now looking for a matching jade mechanical pencil. Also bought a Moleskine.

Being a member of Fedora Lounge has saved me hundreds. And cost me thousands.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Scotrace, you'll enjoy writing in your Moleskine with a fountain pen. My notebook is with me wherever I go, as well as a fountain pen now, come to think of it. I'm due to have my Vacumatic back (as well as an Esterbrook, hopefully) this coming Saturday. I'll add my report to the pile. :cheers1:

bink

What it takes to live on a nib edge!

scotrace said:
MyTurns out the nib was cracked, and I had it replaced with an NOS correct nib. The crack may account for the scratchy feel?
Kind of depends on what produced the crack. I have seen several nibs crack upward to the top of the nib from the breather hole. Any cracks may weaken the nib and then the tines are easy to push out of alignment so the nib point of iridium moves into position it is not supposed to be in, the edge or corners of the writing surface get turned into the paper and it feels scratchy.

Sincerely,

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Review

My pen came back in the mail today (Tuesday). It was shipped off exactly one week ago (Tuesday).
Please keep in mind that this is the first and only vintage pen I've owned or used, so my opinions are a newbie's. It was my wife's Grandfather's pen. (the Parker Duofold mentioned above). You may have had experiences with the same restorer I used with a different result.
I'm absolutely astonished. It went away dull and scratched, with some light chew marks at the blind cap. The barrel was significantly darkened (jade). The trim was dull and looked like plating had chipped away from the clip.
It is now brilliantly polished (still darkened of course), the ends black and shiny as midnight. The trim bright and beautiful.
The cracked nib was replaced with an identical nib as promised, with the damaged nib returned.
It filled flawlessly and began to write perfectly the moment it touched paper, in a perfect, blot-free fine line.
I've been ogling Pelikans on Ebay knowing I'd never pay the steep price, but now that I have this one, I feel like I have a much, much more beautiful and interesting object than any new pen could possibly be. I could not be more pleased.
The work was done by Aaron at Pentiques of Youngstown, Ohio. The restoration, new sac, polishing and testing came to $30. Replacement nib and setting was $35, for a total of $65 +tax + $5 shipping via priority mail. Very highly recommended based on my imited experience.
I'll try and post pictures later, if anyone would like to see it.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
History is best

scotrace said:
I've been ogling Pelikans on Ebay knowing I'd never pay the steep price, but now that I have this one, I feel like I have a much, much more beautiful and interesting object than any new pen could possibly be. I could not be more pleased.
Much richer and deeper and more interesting because of the personal history. Exactly the things we come to consider our personal treasures. Sounds like they did a great job. May you write with it for many years to come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany