Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fountain pens

Right Writing Instrument Fountain Pens!

As a tie in the the Golden Days of style I like period writing Instruments so I prefer a Fountain Pen. For my collection, vintage pens make up about two thirds of my working pens. For The late 20's thru the early 30's I like Parker Duofolds the Senoirs and the Juniors. As it gets into the 30's thru the 40's I like Sheaffer Balances as a classic fountain pen. I also have several Waterman Pens such as the 52 with a flex nib, and some cool Wahl- Eversharp pens that are delicious to write with. For the 40's and 50's the ubiquitous Esterbrook fits the bill.

If you have a family heirloom, haunt the antiques stores, even the flea markets or estate sales you my find a gem or an ordinary pen. 80 to 90% of the pens can be easily reconditioned to working order and if you have a good restorer they can adjust those nibs to work well with your particular writing style. Remember MacArthur signed the Peace treaty with Japan with his trusty Big Red Parker Duofold Senior!;)

John in Covina

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I would love to have a quality writing instrument and hope to, one day, acquire one. Currently, I use a Waterman Phileas Fountain pen that costs around $35.00 and takes a cartridge. It is a nice compromise.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Parker Duofold

We have one that belonged to my wife's grandfather. It needs a new sac, and probably some other wprk as well. I have been unsuccessful in finding directions (or parts) online for doing the work myself, and am unsure to whom it would be best to send it.

Fountain pen repair

scotrace said:
We have one that belonged to my wife's grandfather. It needs a new sac, and probably some other wprk as well. I have been unsuccessful in finding directions (or parts) online for doing the work myself, and am unsure to whom it would be best to send it.
My favorite place for restoration is the Fountain Pen Shop, Inc. in Monrovia California. The owner Fred Krinke is 3rd generation repair wiz. You can call them at 626-294-9974. If not them try the Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC they have a web site. Also do a search on Google etc for Fountain pen Repair or restore. There are maybe 20 places that do it on the web.

Also if you want to DIY there is a book by Frank dubeil (SP) it is listed in the FP Hospital accessories and book section. They have repalcement parts and specialty tools. Victor Chen is a noted restorer and John Mottishaw is a wizard with broken and balky nibs.

John in Covina

Phileas by waterman & other good values!

Hemingway Jones said:
I would love to have a quality writing instrument and hope to, one day, acquire one. Currently, I use a Waterman Phileas Fountain pen that costs around $35.00 and takes a cartridge. It is a nice compromise.
A classic pen and it is a great writer presenting a fine value.

In inexpensive pens under $50 I would list the following as exceptional values: from Pilot / Namiki in Japan, their new pen the "Knight" it has heft if you like a heavier pen and the nib is what we call a Nail it has zero flex BUT is increadably smooth writer like writing on glass.

Another pen is from the German maker LAMY and is any of their Safari or Safari All Star line up. These are bullet proof pens that write at the drop of a hat and are very smooth.

If you want to go toe dipping on a fountain pen you can't go wrong with these as they are great writers.

John in Covina

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
Fountain Pen Hospital...

has repair parts and sacs. http://fountainpenhospital.com/?src=present

I love using fountain pens, though none of mine are vintage. My Phileas works wonderfully, as do all of my Waterman fountain pens. My favorites though are pens that use piston fill from a bottle, notably my two Pelikans and a Montblanc. My current carry is a Pelikan 600 filled with Levenger Gemstone Green ink. My students are impressed whenever I pull it out, which is often!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
MB

I dont really care for my MontBlanc generations fountainpen.
But its low end.
My MB LeGrande fountainpen is just about perfect, tho it should be.
Not so crazy about the MB rollerballs.
I've since switched to a ballpoint MB Boheme.
The MB sketchpencil is a scream.

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
Is the sketch pencil the fat little one that uses the thick lead? I always thought that looked like fun, especially if I were an artsy type, which, sadly, I'm not.

My current carry is a Pelikan 600 filled with Levenger Gemstone Green ink. My students are impressed whenever I pull it out, which is often![/QUOTE]
How is their ink? I had their cobalt blue and it smudged even when dry. I like the Private Reserve brand a lot and for blues I love Namiki, Pelikan, Lamy and PR's DC Supershow. They all are great. I am using PR Sherwood Green and Pelikan Green for Christmas Cards currently also PR Dakota red and Pelikan red for the cards too.

Pelikan fountain pens are hard to beat, I have to cheapies a Future and a Go which both are neat although hard to find in the US, next step up is a M200 witha broad steel nib, just the thing for addressing envelopes. Next is a 605 with a double broad oblique nib with adds a lot of pizzaz to the writing. My best is their top of the line a Sovreign M1000 with a slightly flexible fine nib. This is a joy to use. I got the m1000 from Pen City online at a great price.

Oh I almost forgot my first vintage pen is a Pelikan 140 that is a teacher or accountants work type pen with a fine un flexible nib for writing small or in the margins from the 1950's. Nice pen writes very well.

John in Covina

MrBern said:
I dont really care for my MontBlanc generations fountainpen.
But its low end.
My MB LeGrande fountainpen is just about perfect, tho it should be.
Not so crazy about the MB rollerballs.
I've since switched to a ballpoint MB Boheme.
The MB sketchpencil is a scream.
My understanding is there is some concern with the plastic (precious resin) in the more recent production by MB. There were reports of cracks and splits from minor drops. Their nibs are supossed to be to die for they say. The 146 and 149 models are much beloved and coveted by many.

If you haven't tried a Pelikan FP I say try them, you just may find the perfect pen.

Best regards,

John in Covina

Pen Prices

Levenger's has cool stuff BUT you actually may be paying a premium for the pens. Try searchers on line for Pen City, Swishers, World Lux, Fountain Pen Hospital. It's nice to be able to save a little, you should be able to find some place tht is giving 20% off of MSRP. Levengers often has a price over MSRP!(I like their stuff, but never buy until they put it on sale!)

John in Covina

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the tips (nibs? bad joke), John. Actually, this was a gift! I get Levenger's catalog but usually buy from Fountain Pen Hospital! That's my favorite place. My first fountain pen was a Parker Duofold, by the way. I've had some vintage pens but had problems with leaking.

PrettySquareGal said:
Thanks for the tips (nibs? bad joke), John. Actually, this was a gift! I get Levenger's catalog but usually buy from Fountain Pen Hospital! That's my favorite place. My first fountain pen was a Parker Duofold, by the way. I've had some vintage pens but had problems with leaking.

Vintage can have problems, but if you've had them restored then take them back and explain your problems. If the place is reputable they will see if they have mad a mistake that needs correcting, double check the assembly and then suggest additional steps if neccesary. In an older pen some times the heat of the day or holding it can force a little ink to the nib, but usually they can correct for this.

I have 4 vintage pens inked right now: a Parker Vacumatic in Blue from 1946. Got it restored and it was a fine point but writing with a dry line, had Fred and the Fountain Pen Shop give it an adjustment to nib and feed, now it lays down a wet line.

I have an Aiken Labert called the Capitol with a depression era brown and gold plastic body that is very pretty. It is a smaller pen and has a fairly fine Stub nib that is flexable. It gives a little panash to my hand writing.

I have a nice Parker Duofold Senoir I think it is from 1932. It is a streamline model with 3 rings, and a viened pearl plastic, however the body is ambered significantly, so the cap is not a match. This is a fine also but with a little flex the nib feels springy.

Finally I have a Wahl Eversharp Gold Seal- Personal Point with military clipIt is a pearl and black with a little ambering. It has a true Flex Fine nib and really shows the thick thin line quite dramatically.

Inked for the holidays I have a Pelikan M1000 fine, Pelian M605 OBB nib, a Lamy 2000 in fine, Stipula Ventidue 22 with titanium fine nib, an Ivory Waterman Charleston in fine, an SPW Professional in fine, A Pilot Lucina in fine, a Pelikan 200 in broad and a Pelikan "GO" in fine. A Lamy Safari Clear Demonstrator (Vista) in Fine. All inked in Blues, reds, greens for the Christmas Cards and envelopes. Toward the end of January i will Rinse out better than half and set them away to allow me to select some other likely fountain pens from the collection.

On my wish list is a Pelikan M800 and a M400, a Delta Oversized Dulce Vita, a Bexley and a Sailor in New. In vintage I am still hoping for more Duofolds, Parcos, Conklins and ONOTOS, I want an Esterbrook in eack color and size, too.

Pens, Pens, Pens. I want to get some personalized Stationary from Crane too!

John in Covina

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
Vintage can have problems, but if you've had them restored then take them back and explain your problems. likely fountain pens from the collection.

My vintage pens were from my treasure hunts, so I've never had one professionally restored.

On my wish list is a Pelikan M800 and a M400, a Delta Oversized Dulce Vita, a Bexley and a Sailor in New. In vintage I am still hoping for more Duofolds, Parcos, Conklins and ONOTOS, I want an Esterbrook in eack color and size, too.

*taking notes*

I make my own stationery and cards with Crane papers! I of course don't do theromographics or engraving at home.

As for pens pens pens you sound like my father! He got me started on pens as a little girl. He is an avid collector and travels to antique pen shows during the year when he is able.

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
Impressive

John in Covina said:
Inked for the holidays I have a Pelikan M1000 fine, Pelian M605 OBB nib, a Lamy 2000 in fine, Stipula Ventidue 22 with titanium fine nib, an Ivory Waterman Charleston in fine, an SPW Professional in fine, A Pilot Lucina in fine, a Pelikan 200 in broad and a Pelikan "GO" in fine. A Lamy Safari Clear Demonstrator (Vista) in Fine. All inked in Blues, reds, greens for the Christmas Cards and envelopes. Toward the end of January i will Rinse out better than half and set them away to allow me to select some other likely fountain pens from the collection.

John in Covina

I admire your taste, and acquisitions, in pens. Like any other interest, it can get out of hand (read: EXPENSIVE). I do a rotation system like yours, using some of the collection at different times, though I tend to stay with my signature green ink.

Speaking of ink, I have found the Levenger inks to be quite good, though I haven't compared them much. I have also used Parker Quink and MontBlanc black. But that's about it. I may have to try some of the others.

Joon New York is another place to buy, even slightly cheaper than Fountain Pen Hospital I've found.

I'd like to acquire a Sailor 1911, and one of the Omas Arte Italiana piston fill pens, and a Conway Stewart, though i haven't decided on the model. I do love my Pelikans though!

And yes, some personalized stationery would also be delightful. Not every paper takes fountain pen ink well.

Great thread, glad to see other fountain pen aficionados on the forum.

Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy