Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fountain pens

Speaking of ink, I have found the Levenger inks to be quite good, though I haven't compared them much. I have also used Parker Quink and MontBlanc black. But that's about it. I may have to try some of the others.
Paul[/QUOTE]

Hi Paul!

Private Reserve has a tremendous spectrum of colors and if that is not enough their inks are designed to be mixed within the brand. They have a kit for mixing so you can make your own truly personalized colors.

For deep Blue I like Namiki, PeliKan and Lamy.

For black I prefer Aurora, it is a deep black.

Pelikan has good depth of color for green and red.

If you have a pen that is a little balky, skipping, a change of ink can sometimes remedy the condition, Private Reserve's Tanzanite Purple is considered a winner for this solution.

I did leave out the full sized Visconti Van Gogh in a green gold color another joy to write with since I filled it with Tanzanite.

If any one is going to be in the LA area on Sunday February 19th, I suggest the LA pen Show in Manahattan Beach. See the thread on this.

Best regards,

John;)

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
Private Reserve, I know I've seen it in one of my catalogs. I'll have to give it a try. It is true that a change of ink will help a balky pen. I have a Cross Townsend that didn't work at all well with Cross ink cartridges, but is much better with Levenger ink in a converter.

Another pen brand that I'm interested in is Montegrappa. The Visconti is certainly grand. Have you ever considered a Krone? I haven't, one look at the prices and it scared me off. Neat limited editions though.

boomerchop said:
Have you ever considered a Krone? I haven't, one look at the prices and it scared me off. Neat limited editions though.

Krone does have Interesting pens but i am a bit conservative in $$ and Krone is way too expensive for what you get. There was a series called "Old School" I liked the looks of but way too much $$$$! Now there are some Grayson Tighe pens done in a folded layer metal style that is Amaizing! But too much $$$, have to win the lotto.

John in Covina

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
sketch

boomerchop said:
Is the sketch pencil the fat little one that uses the thick lead? I always thought that looked like fun, especially if I were an artsy type, which, sadly, I'm not.

Yes it is. Its quite stout.
I used to be arty...just today I mentioned missing my drafting table & Tsquare. But we're all on Macs for the last decade or so.
I shouldnt complain.

Incidentally, I got the 'sketch' at an MB sale for only $100. Same for the boheme ballpoint.
-b

zeus36

A-List Customer
Don't forget about the Parker 51 pens. Highly advanced pens and very precision manufacture. They were the top of the evolution of fountain pens when ball points came around ( I hate ballpoints)

I use the '51 for my work pens and a Conklin Endura Senior I refurbed for my home desk pen.

fountwriter

New in Town
John in Covina said:
Private Reserve has a tremendous spectrum of colors and if that is not enough their inks are designed to be mixed within the brand. They have a kit for mixing so you can make your own truly personalized colors.
Private Reserve is a great brand of ink. Its owner is a real mentsch.

Ever try Noodler's...they have a huge line of colors as well. Including a few waterproof inks that are quite nice of everyday use.

John..We are birds of a feather when it comes to our pen and ink fixation.

My students want to see which pen i am carrying every day. They are very curious. Sometimes, when my budget permits, I give away a Pelikano or a cheap Hero pen from China for the boy who has improved his handwriting the most in a given report card period.

Fine handwriting is a lost art. :cry:

Adam

fountwriter

New in Town
zeus36 said:
Don't forget about the Parker 51 pens. Highly advanced pens and very precision manufacture. They were the top of the evolution of fountain pens when ball points came around ( I hate ballpoints)

I use the '51 for my work pens and a Conklin Endura Senior I refurbed for my home desk pen.

I love the P51. a true classic for everyday use. Here is a little tidbit from the Parker website:

Though the fountain pen industry has had to struggle through the Depression years, the 1940s - during and after World War II - can be seen as its renaissance, with the Parker 51 its da Vinci. At the close of the war, Parker pens become tools for peace - used to sign the agreement through which Italian and German forces surrender in Northwest Italy, while General Eisenhower's Parker 51 pens are used to sign the Armistice pact for the European Front. In the Pacific Theater, General Douglas MacArthur's 20-year-old Duofold is used to sign the document officially signaling the end of World War II.

Adam

fountwriter said:
My students want to see which pen i am carrying every day. They are very curious. Sometimes, when my budget permits, I give away a Pelikano or a cheap Hero pen from China for the boy who has improved his handwriting the most in a given report card period. Fine handwriting is a lost art. :cry: Adam
It is great to see that you are taking the time with the students and that you can reward acheivement. Pilot Varsity pens can be found for under $3 each, if you buy by the dozen.

I Bought a waterproof brown from Noodlers, filled the pen wrote a half a page and it stopped. i rinsed and it wouldn't go. rinsed again, and then rinsed the pen out completely and refilled. Got about a sentance worth and boom dead stop. i rinsed the pen out and put that ink away. So i am a little perplexed by their stuff. I would like to use it with a dip pen and a good flex nib.

I wish I could recreate the Spencerian Copperplate Zaner type of handwriting where they use the thick thin capabilities of a flex nib to a dramatic style. Most impressive.

Happy Writing!

John in Covina

minus_273

New in Town
Now i know fountain pens are out of style now, but in asia we still use them. In fact we use them almost exclusively. Just for fun i stopped by a arts and crafts store today and ended up finding Parker pens were still made and sold at prices where i wouldn't mind carrying one around all day ($8). There must be some really fancy vintage pens out there, any suggestions?

In the USA there are a lot of regional pen collector clubs and a major pen show with vintage pens every month. Vintage pens are available and there are a number of people and shops dedicated to the restoration and repair of old fountain pens. Pen collectors invariably need books to use for indentifying pens and they will hunt for them on any trip and any opportunity.

Check out the web sites for fountain pen info. DO a google search: The Fountain Pen Hospital, Swishers and pentrace. Penopoloy, pendamonium, pens plus, penmuseum.com.

The eras are 1883-1910, teens, twenties, thirties, forties, fifties, then on. Also a high priced vintage pen from the 20's works well with the 30's and forties as these were working items not to be thrown away or set aside. A pen needed to work. In WWII there was a lot of restoration work on pens as new merchandise was not readily available at all.

In vintage you want a pen to be original except for ink sac. A pen whose nib has been replaced by non original, non brand replacement loses at lot of value, although it can be a good writer.

Check the book sections if a pen shop web site lists them then check Amazon or ebay to see if you can get a price break. But always remember to collect is to study.

There are 2 magazines in the US for pen collectors both are very good: Pen World and Stylus. Plus the Pen Collectors of America publishes a magazine, in Great Britan there is a magazine something like Writing Equipment Society.

Check ebay and look for Parker, Sheaffer, Waterman, Wahl-Eversharp. Conklin and from Germany Pelikan for good vintage pens. Stay away from anything with chips or cracks especially in the nib or the edge of the cap. Remember most pens can be restored to working condition, and many can be restored to a thing of beauty. Ask around friends, relatives, post wanted notes, go to antique stores and flea markets, etc see if anyone has some old pens tucked away in a desk drawer or a box someplace, then find someone who does restorative services.

Target Pens for vintage collection.

As to suggestions do you want a high end, medium High or medium low pen in vintage?

High end: Parker Duofold Senior,
Waterman Patrician,
Waterman Hundred year pen,
Sheaffer Balance Oversized.
Sheaffer PFM

Medium high: Parker Duofold Junior
Paker Vacumatics,
Parker 51
Waterman Commando,
Waterman Taperite
Sheaffer Flattops
Sheaffer Balance Lifetime,
Wahl Gold Seal pens,
Conklin
Eversharp Skyline.

Medium low: Parker Parkettes
Parker Challengers,
Sheaffer Balances non lifetime,
Eversharp Symphony.

Working class but excellent: Esterbrook pens!
Good choice always: Pelikan, Sailor.
Also for the most part Pilot.

Not an exact science here, just my opinion, plus there's plenty of other pens to fit the bill. If you are looking for a great book on fountain pens that will give you pictures, history and ideas on collecting, such as what to look for and grading, then I suggest:

"Fountain Pens, Past & Present"
by Paul Erano (2nd Edition) as an excellent first book.

Other than the big 4 of Parker, sheaffer, Waterman and Wahl - Eversharp, there were many other manufacturers in the US and abroad until the Great Depression, that was the big shake out. So there are smaller companies not as well known but making medium to high end pens. As you become familiar with what makes a good pen such as solid gold nib as opposed to plated. Color size and construction etc. you may find in your area there was a local or regional maker that has good pens. You may wish to persue those to make a unique collection. Such things can make for an interesting aside to a regular collection. In Pen World I have read of collectors of Dixie and Security pens as examples of good pens outside the norm.

SO there are areas that most collectors find as their target, but you can also find some that will be outside the ordinary yet a good slice of pendom to collect.

Happy Hunting!

16_sparrows

Vendor
Telling them apart?

I have been specifically looking for a fountain pen that you refill by putting the nib in the ink well and "sucking it up." All the fountain pens I'm seeing are the cartridge refill types or the $300 lever types. Can any of you lads help a girl by suggesting certain brands or models that fits this description under the $70 range?

16_sparrows said:
I have been specifically looking for a fountain pen that you refill by putting the nib in the ink well and "sucking it up."

THere are few lever fill made as a modrn pen today, but lever fill do suck the ink up thru the nib. Cartridge pens often can get a converter which allows you to stick the nib in the ink and draw the ink up out of the bottle. With some in expensive pens you have to tell them you want a converter.

For bullet proof pens that you can get with converter i suggest. A Pilot Knight or Lamy Safari Allstar. Also Waterman Phileas. If you are lucky try for a Pelikan such as an M200. Check the websellers for cleance and sales.

magneto

Practically Family
I bow to your extensive knowledge, John of Covina. I have a Shaeffer I bought for under $20 from some old store stock (where I also got bottles of the old made-in-USA Shaeffer ink) and it writes very smoothly. Otherwise I've only tried the disposable Parker Varsity fountain pens. Maybe I bought a bum batch because everyone seems to love them, but mine seem gushy and scratchy.

minus_273

New in Town
16_sparrows said:
I have been specifically looking for a fountain pen that you refill by putting the nib in the ink well and "sucking it up." All the fountain pens I'm seeing are the cartridge refill types or the $300 lever types. Can any of you lads help a girl by suggesting certain brands or models that fits this description under the $70 range?

if have a run of the mill parker, you can get a converter for $2-5

Hemingway Jones said:
I carry a Waterman Phileas and I love it. It costs around $35 or so. It takes a cartridge, has never leaked, and writes beautifully. It is always with me.
I think that you can get a converter for the Phileas if you want to go with bottled ink.

I like a deep but not dark blue and find that Namiki Blue, Lamy darker blue and from Private Reserve their DC Super blue seem to fit the bill for me. My favorite Black is Aurora from Italy. It ranks a close third in all a round black ink to a couple from China that are tuff to find in the US.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
I think that you can get a converter for the Phileas if you want to go with bottled ink.

I like a deep but not dark blue and find that Namiki Blue, Lamy darker blue and from Private Reserve their DC Super blue seem to fit the bill for me. My favorite Black is Aurra from Italy. It ranks a close third in all a round black ink to a couple from China that are tuff to find in the US.

Yes...the Phileas comes with a converter.

Oddly enough my best fountain pen purchase in terms of making it almost a throw away...is a Rotring that I got for 1.99 at Big Lots. Its the kids learn to write model, so its industrial but hey, I can use it at work and if it vanishes, I am not devastated. It also came with a converter...great bargain for two dollars.

Pens nibs and other things on writing period.

magneto said:
Otherwise I've only tried the disposable Parker Varsity fountain pens. Maybe I bought a bum batch because everyone seems to love them, but mine seem gushy and scratchy.
I believe it is PILOT that makes the disposable Varsity fountain pens. Maybe a bad batch or old stock. I have only heard good things about them.

Pilot / Namiki is the same brand and same company, Pilot the regular line and Namiki the higher end like Honda to Acura, Nissan to Infiniti, and Toyota to Lexus.

Usually a Pilot pen is a good pen. On Ebay if you search for Pilot fountain pens you can find some very "modern" 60's and 70's pens that are NOS (New, Old Stock) and sometimes you can find a Pilot in a classic style. I have a Pilot Lucina in Black with gold trim (GT) that is from a closeout brought over by Levenger about 4 years ago. Gold plated steel nib, but it writes as smooth as glass. I have a Pilot Vanishing Point (retractable fountain pen) that is very good, and a Namiki Falcon which is one of a few Flex nib pens made today. Black Gold Trim.

A flex nib was much more prevelant as you go back to the tun of the century 1899-1900. There are several styles of "script - cursive" that called for the use of flex nibs. Using normally a fine nib part of a letter was written with the line as fine as the nib would go, then by pressing (gently) on the nib the two tines would spread apart making for a thicker line the greater the pressure the thicker the line within reason. Too hard could spring the tines and bend them. Anyway the effect is definately different but has similarites to using a caligraphy italic nib. If you care to Look up Spencerian or Spencurian script, Copperplate script and Zaner Boser. These styles of wirting are both beautiful and amazing especially when tied to flourishing. Astounding control and consistency at all times. Also they wrote by using whole arm movement, not planting the heel of the hand on the paper. Similar to an italic is a stub nib. Flex is associated more with Watermans and Wahl-Eversharps. Today Pelikans have some flex and Omas is noted in their highest end pens. Often the caligraphers use dip pens with separet interchangable nibs like Hunt and Hiro.

If anyone is interested in Caligraphy I suggest doing a web search and finding the website for John Neal Bookseller. Pen, Brush, inks, papers, book making, papermaking. A real neat site!

Dip pens were used as desk pens thru the 1940's, you'd be likely to sign a hotel registry with a dip pen.

Caution again: NEVER use INDIA Ink or drawing inks the a Fountain Pen, they contain a varnish that helps with drying and permanece. This varnish will dry and seal or plug the feeding section. Some pens can't be rebuilt, the parts are not available. A death nell for a fountain pen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy