Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fountain pens

Miss Neecerie said:
Yes...the Phileas comes with a converter.

Oddly enough my best fountain pen purchase in terms of making it almost a throw away...is a Rotring that I got for 1.99 at Big Lots. Its the kids learn to write model, so its industrial but hey, I can use it at work and if it vanishes, I am not devastated. It also came with a converter...great bargain for two dollars.
Rotring is a quality pen, where and when did you get this fantastic deal at Big Lots?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
Rotring is a quality pen, where and when did you get this fantastic deal at Big Lots?

It was a few months back...at a Big Lots in Westminister, near where I work...

Like I said, was the kids model, so not super stylish, but for a leave at work pen that still feels decent to write with, its great. Its also got that 'could run over it with a truck' clunky styling.

I keep it in my organizer

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I use fountain pens almost exclusively and I've never had a problem with any Waterman. As has been stated, the Phileas is a gem, and it does come with a converter. I never had problems with Colibri either, though I don't know if they're still made. I have, however, had problems with EVERY other brand of fountain pen I've ever tried, from the cheapest Shaeffer to the most expensive Mont Blanc. Mont Blanc's have the attachment where you just turn the end and suck up the ink, but purely in terms of reliability and quality as a writing utensil, "suck" is the operative word for a Mont Blanc.

Zach R.

Practically Family
I use fountain pens exclusively as well, but I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination.

I've been using one Phileas every single day since the beginning of August and its in as perfect condition as when I bought it. I even dropped it once, nib first, into a tiled floor -- it came out unscathed. So I can vouch for its durability.

magneto

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Oddly enough my best fountain pen purchase in terms of making it almost a throw away...is a Rotring that I got for 1.99 at Big Lots. Its the kids learn to write model, so its industrial but hey, I can use it at work and if it vanishes, I am not devastated. It also came with a converter...great bargain for two dollars.

I checked Big Lots (in San Francisco) when you posted that and found no Rotrings...but I went back today and they had 3 racks of Penatia (Cross' low end division--now closed down I believe?) fountain pens in the two dollar range...if you like that sort of thing. I bought one; nice slim form factor, black/chrome, fine nib I think, and wrote well in my "page of shorthand break-in test." Comes with world's smallest cartridge!

FLJones

New in Town
For travel, specifically air travel, Pelican gets my vote. I have large hands, so the 800 series works well. No leaks, behaves in all conditions, feels good in the hand and writes perfectly each and every time.
I really like the Omas 360, great feel in the hand, but can't deal with the cap full of ink after a flight. So it stays at home.
The best nib would be the Namiki sterling. Just doesn't have enough ink capacity.
All of these pens fill from a bottle. The Pelican and Omas fill with a twist of the top. The Namiki is an insert which requires unscrewing the body and squeezing the filler.
Really love Visconti, but it's like an Italian car, fun to drive but spends more time in the shop than on the road. But their traveling inkwell is the bomb! Open, insert your pen, twist and fill. Easy refill anywhere. Holds enough for 4 or 5 refills of a big pen.

Pelikan Pens may simply be the best made modern pen.

I have an M1000 with a fine nib in the green Striped with black plus gold trim that is a great writer and very nice looking.

An M605 solid blue with silver trim, a double broad obliquiec nib perfect for addressing envelopes with panache.

An M400 in the tortoise / honey and ivory with medium nib, fun to write with and beautiful to look at.

Am M200 Transparent amber gold trim, steel broad nib another one that addresses envelopes really well.

I have a GO and a Future that simply astonish me that a cheap pen should write so well.

Oh and a 140 from the late 1950's or early 60's green striped, black with gold trim (The classic Pelikan color scheme) this has a fine point that is made for accounting or writing in the margins, very cool pen form teachers or accountants.

LA PEN SHOW FEB.19th Manhattan Beach Mariott, Southern California!:cheers1:

Best wishes!

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
i enjoy my sailor 1911 in balck very much. Great smooth writer, great balance and feel. It is a larger pen.

Check out the long thread at http://www.shavemyface.com under the "other" section and read the fountain pen thread.

They have listed about every online vendor you could imagine. Dr. Moss has a bout 300 in his collection.

hope this helps ya all,

mark the shoeshine boy

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
Japanese Pens

Sailor is a Japanese maker, right?

For some reason, I'm really taken with lacquer pens. Does anyone have any experience with Japanese pens like those cool Pilot Namikis?

Fu Manchu

FLJones

New in Town
Pelikan 25 Jahr NORD/LB

This is my current favorite. Deep Blue, almost black under florescent but in sunlight is deep ocean blue. A beautiful pen. Limited edition of 6,920. Comes with a bottle of ink. An M800 size. Found it on eBay, so there might be others out there. Not sure of the year but would guess 80s.

Sailor Genius

shoeshineboy said:
i enjoy my sailor 1911 in balck very much. Great smooth writer, great balance and feel. It is a larger pen. mark the shoeshine boy

Sailor is on my 'Pens to Acquire' list. I lust for the King of Pen model also all Sailor pens are noted as great writers. Those "Emperor" nibs are just stunning, just need to hit the lotto.;)

Sincerely

Fu Manchu said:
Sailor is a Japanese maker, right? For some reason, I'm really taken with lacquer pens. Does anyone have any experience with Japanese pens like those cool Pilot Namikis? Fu Manchu

Sailor is from Japan! I have seen several of the URUSHI lacquer pens and the art work that goes into the (Makie-e) is mind blowing. There is a guy that is a member of the SCPCC (Southern California Pen Collectors Club) that is a collector and he does sell some of these type pens, I would say from my experience with Pilot / Namiki it is hard to go wrong with their stuff.

Sincerely

FLJones

New in Town
Sailor/Namiki/Dunhill

Ah yes, one can dream. An Emporer under the tree would be just perfect Santa! Such beautiful pens. There is no other nib quite as responsive and smooth.

lenj

New in Town
Vintage pens

Can't go wrong with a Parker 51. Beautiful, sleek, reliable, light in the hand and the smoothest nibs anywhere.

They are also readily available from a number of vendors.

lenj

The current production Parker 51 Special Edition will be phased out fairly soon, which leaves the series 100 or go for vintage. I have 3 of the 51's from 1944, 46 and 49 I think. Not my favorite but an important pen in design, it still looks very modern and space-aged. I am a mid 1920's to early 1930's Duofold man myself, Seniors and Juniors mostly, but would love a good desk set of Duofolds someday! Here is a site of sold pens:
http://www.penhome.co.uk/Archive/Parker_Archive_1.htm

Bammerman

New in Town
I highly recommend Pelikan

I've owned - and used - many fountain pens over the years, and while there are several brands I could recommend, if you particularly want a pen that "sucks the ink up out of the bottle", you want a Pelikan. They have been using the same mechanism for many decades because it just plain works. Pelikans are top-notch pens in terms of craftsmanship. I have never had one that did not put ink down at first touch to paper (f anything, they tend to write "wet" compared to many brands). I have never had one that leaked. You'll need to try them out at a store to see what size is most comfortable to your hand. I find the 400 just about perfect, the 600 a tiny bit on the big size. They (pen body) are made of celluloid, which always feels warm to the hand, and so are very light. And you can see how much ink is left inside when you hold them up to the light because they are semi-transparent. These are what I call "working" pens: they're made for go, not just for show (though I like their looks, myself).

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
I concur with Bammerman

I also prefer piston fill pens and I love my Pelikans. My daily carry is a green striped M600. Writes beautifully, first time, everytime.

PenMan

Familiar Face
Some great pens mentioned here! I use a sheaffer balance with snub nib as my everyday, but I have a Parker 51 SE on my desk (its a cartridge filler, not a true '51'), a blue and black Pelikan M600, having sold off my 1000 and 800 as too big, and a Parker 51 Special (not to be confused with the Special Edition mentioned above: the Special is a 1950s pen with a cheaper [not gold] nib). If you want a cheap pen that 'sucks' ink from a bottle, try a Hero 329. It is made in China, has minimal glamour, and doesn't miss a stroke from the time you fill the sac till you empty it. They cost about $15, including postage. I have one on hand that I lend to grad students who have to write essay based exams. There is nothing like a fountain pen, even a cheap one, for lengthy spells of writing. In fact, the degradation of American handwriting is generally traced to the introduction of the ballpoint, but I digress.

By the way, someone mentioned using an old bottle of ink. That is NOT a good idea. Fountain pen ink is water based and forms a sediment that will gum up the pen. It is advised that you not use ink that is over a year old. At hardly more than $5 a bottle, it hardly breaks the bank to replace ink once a year or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy