Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fox Creek -A Versatile Riding Jacket

mygar

A-List Customer
I imagine a lot also depends on climate... I remember back in Ireland years ago going out pillion on my dad's bike, and being shocked how much colder it felt at fifty mph, on a day when it was just about a little too warm for my leather. Interesting, though, how the rise of mc denim in recent years has also seen other alternatives to leather that still have a fairly classic look come up. Always wondered how perforated leather would perform in a slide - i.e. does it compromise the abrasion resistance any being perforated? Not that I want to find that out first-hand!

The technology these days is good ... the jacket and my armored shirt are my best additions for riding IMO. This armored shirt/jacket is phenomenal. Flexible micro lock armor, fits kinda like a wetsuit to keep the armor in place, and has Class AA abrasion resistance. Highly perforated and almost feels like t-shirt in hot weather.

You wear this underneath anything and you can turn any shirt or jacket into "armored".

nickv

One of the Regulars
Congrats ! Its a great riding jacket. As you say its soft and supple yet pretty sturdy for riding. I bought mine nearly 10 years ago , its my go to jacket when i ride. Like you said fashion takes a back seat over function when riding. And the vents do work.
I bought the Classic .
374vFront__74168.1644422426.jpg

]
374vBack__31145.1533757182.jpg

Obviously you haven’t seen or worn a FoxCreek jacket.
I’ll put the functionality of the leather, if I ever go down, way, way, way above my Aero

I believe this is precisely what @Damon141 was implying; Fox Creek being equal or better maker than certain others that we pay 3 times as much for.

I’ve wondered how functional the vents actually are. Before I got soft and feared my bike I thought hard about a perforated Vanson Stars never aligned, daughter came along and that was that so I never did find out how well perforated leather actually “worked’.

From your post I’d assume you’d say they do help keep you cool?

I've discovered that well placed vents are very functional & keep you cool as long as you're on the road but naturally, once you stop, the jacket will get just as scorching on a hot day as any regular leather.
I like vents. I don't like perforated leather but vents really do make you feel like there's an AC installed inside a jacket. . .

Peter Mackin

Practically Family
I really fancy a fox creek jacket. If anyone is thinking of moving on a size 44,drop me a pm, I'm impressed with everything I've seen of them.

sal

One of the Regulars
I believe this is precisely what @Damon141 was implying; Fox Creek being equal or better maker than certain others that we pay 3 times as much for.

I've discovered that well placed vents are very functional & keep you cool as long as you're on the road but naturally, once you stop, the jacket will get just as scorching on a hot day as any regular leather.
I like vents. I don't like perforated leather but vents really do make you feel like there's an AC installed inside a jacket. . .
I mis interpreted his post. I thought he meant FoxCreek was overpriced. My bad

Yango

One of the Regulars
While the jackets posted here have great style and quality ... let's face it, most are not very versatile for riding.

I just received this riding jacket from Fox Creek. Here are some details from Fox Creek website:
  • Crafted from 1.4-1.6mm thick, supple, full grain leather.
  • Dual front, rear, and sleeve vents provide maximum airflow.
  • Adjustable half belt and laced sides make the Classic I an optimal riding jacket for all seasons.
  • Armor provisional pockets in the elbows, shoulders, and back (armor not included)
  • Two inside pockets: Left with a snap closure, Right with a zipper closure.
  • Removable insulated full sleeve liner with hide-away fleece neck warmer.
  • Padded and extended kidney panel.
  • Antique Brass YKK Hardware.

This jacket is well suited for motorcycle riding. It's cut extra long in the back with a padded kidney panel.
Dual front and rear vents move the air through a mesh shell while an internal wind flap stops it cold at the zipper.

A zip out insulated liner means this jacket is perfect for hot and cold weather riding.

Side lacing enables you to contour the jacket to your body. An inside snap pocket is set in the leather facing where it won't rip out.

At a price of $590.00 ... you just cant go wrong.

I sized this so that I can layer under with a hoodie or tight fitted armor shirt ... and the fit is fantastic for me. Love the supple pebbled leather.

I planning on sending this in to a shop for a removable mouton collar.

Here are some pics: View attachment 426779 View attachment 426780 View attachment 426781 View attachment 426784 View attachment 426785 View attachment 426786 View attachment 426787 View attachment 426788 View attachment 426790
I like the style, vents and ability to add armour.

Now that you’ve had the jacket for a while, what’s your impression? Have you added armour, and if so, does it sit in position comfortably? Do the vents work well in hot weather?

I’m looking for a jacket that can reasonably cover hot, cold and everything in between. I don’t have unrealistic expectations… Currently I use a fully perforated Dainese leather jacket when it’s hot and humid, and wear my BMG Montana with/without removable layers depending on how cold it is. The problem with this set up is, carrying two jackets on multi day rides—something I’d rather not do. So I do find the idea of closeable vents very interesting.

yellowfever

One of the Regulars

Now that you’ve had the jacket for a while, what’s your impression? Have you added armour, and if so, does it sit in position comfortably? Do the vents work well in hot weather?

I’m looking for a jacket that can reasonably cover hot, cold and everything in between. I don’t have unrealistic expectations… Currently I use a fully perforated Dainese leather jacket when it’s hot and humid, and wear my BMG Montana with/without removable layers depending on how cold it is. The problem with this set up is, carrying two jackets on multi day rides—something I’d rather not do. So I do find the idea of closeable vents very interesting.
Depending what you mean by “hot” and ”cold” you may be asking a lot of one jacket as you recognise…

FWIW I’ve got an armoured Vanson CSRX that comes with rear vents that I got chest vents added to later. they work pretty well on cooling, as does lowering main zip a bit (I got a snap tab added part way down for a bit more security when opening front zip a bit). It works pretty well in Northern Europe year round, though visits to eg Italy in summer get hot even in a t shirt if you’re not in the mountains or going fast….

The CSRX jacket has waist adjustment so you can add layers for when colder. I fairly recently discovered the joys of heated gilet and grips which makes coping with cold weather easier still and with less bulk. Could be something to think about if you’re trying to use just one jacket in varied weather.. A rain shell over jacket packs up small and helps further with wind proofing and for when it’s wet. As to liners, although I have snap in Vanson liner, I prefer the flexibility of simply adding normal layers as needed.

That said, as you say you use a fully perforated leather jacket in hot weather I think you’ll need more than the vents I have/similar ones on the fox creek jacket to have similar comfort to what you’re used to with your perforated jacket. Vanson do a version of my jacket (collectively known as the sportrider range I think the particular jacket I’m thinking of is called the lightening?) with lots of perforations that can be effectively sealed with their air curtain system. That might be the sweet spot for you? Perforated when you need it, not when not?

Personally I’m a huge fan of vanson jackets for riding and the sportrider range in particular, though the less traditional/more sporty styling may not be to your taste…

see this thread for more discussion on vanson bike jackets…

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...n-motorcycle-jackets-recommend-me-one.103100/

by the way I think a similar vanson jacket called ‘challenger’ with huge closable front vents in size 40 is still for sale in the classifieds here (not sure vanson do this model any more?) at a very good price…

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/vanson-csr-sport-rider-–-40.106767/

mygar

A-List Customer

The vents do work ... yes. However, due to a number of factors, I did not receive this jacket until our summer was well underway. The summer temps in NorCal where I live are in the 90s on the regular and up into the 100s. I don't see myself wearing this jacket in the peak summer months as the vents won't cut it on their own ... you are better off with a perforated riding jacket.

I prefer to wear this with a leather vest during the hot months.
https://www.planet-knox.com/product/urbane-pro-shirt-mk2/
It is perforated with class AA abrasion resistance and has micro lock armor (level 1 and 2) that stays where needed. You can use this as an underlayer to any shirt or jacket thereby making the outer layer abrasion resistant with armor. Using layers, you can have a system that will accommodate any climate condition.

I did not order armor from Fox Creek ... because really, it can't compare with the armored shirt above ... and for just a little bit more money you can have the armored shirt from Knox and use it with anything ... real cost-effective approach as you can turn any jacket into one having abrasion resistance with armor. For fall, winter, and early spring I plan on pairing the armored shirt with the Fox Creek jacket. However, I recognize that this pairing might be a bit too much as the Fox Creek jacket is pretty thick/heavy on its own ... and pairing with the shirt may be a bit much. If I decide that's the case, I may order armor from Fox /Creek.

Yango

One of the Regulars
Depending what you mean by “hot” and ”cold” you may be asking a lot of one jacket as you recognise…

FWIW I’ve got an armoured Vanson CSRX that comes with rear vents that I got chest vents added to later. they work pretty well on cooling, as does lowering main zip a bit (I got a snap tab added part way down for a bit more security when opening front zip a bit). It works pretty well in Northern Europe year round, though visits to eg Italy in summer get hot even in a t shirt if you’re not in the mountains or going fast….

The CSRX jacket has waist adjustment so you can add layers for when colder. I fairly recently discovered the joys of heated gilet and grips which makes coping with cold weather easier still and with less bulk. Could be something to think about if you’re trying to use just one jacket in varied weather.. A rain shell over jacket packs up small and helps further with wind proofing and for when it’s wet. As to liners, although I have snap in Vanson liner, I prefer the flexibility of simply adding normal layers as needed.

That said, as you say you use a fully perforated leather jacket in hot weather I think you’ll need more than the vents I have/similar ones on the fox creek jacket to have similar comfort to what you’re used to with your perforated jacket. Vanson do a version of my jacket (collectively known as the sportrider range I think the particular jacket I’m thinking of is called the lightening?) with lots of perforations that can be effectively sealed with their air curtain system. That might be the sweet spot for you? Perforated when you need it, not when not?

Personally I’m a huge fan of vanson jackets for riding and the sportrider range in particular, though the less traditional/more sporty styling may not be to your taste…

see this thread for more discussion on vanson bike jackets…

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...n-motorcycle-jackets-recommend-me-one.103100/

by the way I think a similar vanson jacket called ‘challenger’ with huge closable front vents in size 40 is still for sale in the classifieds here (not sure vanson do this model any more?) at a very good price…

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/vanson-csr-sport-rider-–-40.106767/
I know it’s not easy (near impossible) to get a jacket to cover all the bases, but I’d like to try.
Up to now, when I do multi day rides alone, I bring two jackets, which isn’t ideal, but it works. My real issue is when I ride with my girlfriend, we’re sharing the storage on the bike, and bringing a spare jacket is just not in the cards. So I always opt for the Montana—because there’s nothing worse than being cold… except cold and wet.

It’s interesting that you mentioned the Vanson Challenger—there are two for sale in local listings—a 42 and a 44. I have a 42” chest and depending on the cut of the jacket either wear a 42 or 44 (I don’t like them tight or too short). I’ve read that these jackets run small, so maybe the 44 will fit better. Though I would want to be able to layer under the jacket if necessary.
I’m trying to get fit info from the sellers.

Update:
Neither the 42” or the 44” will fit, it seems these jackets run really small. Both guys are selling because they can’t zip up the jacket anymore. I’m thinking I may be a 46” or possibly even a 48” in the Vanson Challenger. Crazy.

Last edited:

Yango

One of the Regulars
The vents do work ... yes. However, due to a number of factors, I did not receive this jacket until our summer was well underway. The summer temps in NorCal where I live are in the 90s on the regular and up into the 100s. I don't see myself wearing this jacket in the peak summer months as the vents won't cut it on their own ... you are better off with a perforated riding jacket.

I prefer to wear this with a leather vest during the hot months.
https://www.planet-knox.com/product/urbane-pro-shirt-mk2/
It is perforated with class AA abrasion resistance and has micro lock armor (level 1 and 2) that stays where needed. You can use this as an underlayer to any shirt or jacket thereby making the outer layer abrasion resistant with armor. Using layers, you can have a system that will accommodate any climate condition.

I did not order armor from Fox Creek ... because really, it can't compare with the armored shirt above ... and for just a little bit more money you can have the armored shirt from Knox and use it with anything ... real cost-effective approach as you can turn any jacket into one having abrasion resistance with armor. For fall, winter, and early spring I plan on pairing the armored shirt with the Fox Creek jacket. However, I recognize that this pairing might be a bit too much as the Fox Creek jacket is pretty thick/heavy on its own ... and pairing with the shirt may be a bit much. If I decide that's the case, I may order armor from Fox /Creek.
I own the Knox Urban Pro too. It’s nice, but I find it’s pretty heavy, bulky and uncomfortable to wear under anything. I had hoped to use it under my Schott 141, but it was very uncomfortable. I felt like the Micheline Man! Knox has an armoured shirt that looks like it might be lighter and more low profile, so that could be a possible option.

I ordered a Bohnn Armour mesh shirt last summer, and while the mesh part of the equation was good, the armour they use is horrible—it’s massive and hard like a rock. I didn’t want to spend a small fortune having the pockets rebuilt to fit either Knox Microlock or D30… so, back it went.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko