Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FQHH brown or cordovan for my next Aero??

JLStorm

Practically Family
I know there has been several topics on comparing these two and I have read through them all and still left with some unanswered questions.

Which ages with a better patina? Which seems to match more colors? I will be getting a custom highwayman with a rust color fur collar if that matters.
and would like it to contrast as much as possible with the leather...I cant seem to figure out which color that would be though?

JanSolo

Practically Family
Brown! Fits denim (raw, washed), corduroy, chinos, and most colours including brown, beige, green, olive etc.
The colour transfer of cordovan totally puts me off! Ask for brown F/Q HH as dark as possible to get a nice contrast.

BTW: This is how Aero's current mid brown mouton looks like (also a bit of rust in it). Do you notice how thick, soft and plushy it is?:
3364556969_d7e947272d.jpg

3364573069_ee85d40126.jpg

JLStorm

Practically Family
Im so confused about the color transfer of the cordovan. I have heard that there is a problem from some, but I have heard from others that there is no problem. Im not sure if some cordovan is chrome tanned and some is vegetable tanned which is causing the problem, or if there is a quality control issue.

Can you tell if this first photo is cordovan or brown (I think its cordovan)? I really like the contrast between this collar and the leather, but then I see some brown FQHH that looks amazing too like the photo below this one. I will ask aero about a darker brown FQHH too.

551S(c).JPG

253494077.jpg

JanSolo

Practically Family
Both jackets are brown FQHH with some variation in colour. Cordovan looks more purple. Re the colour transfer...It's not an issue with the tanning method or quality control it's just that there is a lot more dye (and presumably more intense dye) used in the finishing process of cordovan HH. Colour transfer may occur with brown as well but not to that extent.

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
JanSolo hit it exactly - the cordovan is almost purple. When I went shopping for an Aero, brown was the choice by far, and I would have ended up with brown except my wife just didn't like the color - she thought it looked like it was "waxed" (her word).
Well, since the coats are a lot of $$$, I showed her my very low second choice of cordovan and she really liked it. So, since a happy marriage is bliss (or so I've heard), my long half belt is cordovan. And, I do kind of like it, more than I thought I would. I have had no color transfer at all on the leather truck seats - and the truck shakes around so much that if something were going to rub off, it would surely be in that big rough riding thing. However, my coat is the vintage FQHH so that treatment may get some of the excess dye out of the leather.

If it were me alone, I'd get brown first and then cordovan later. But, I do know I'll end up with a brown one, too. Just can't believe how nice the Aero coats are.

Windward

Practically Family
What do you thing

Hi JanSolo,
I've realized that you got a broad-based knowledge about our passion - maybe you have experience or opinions about alpaca lining in the sleeves.
Because I'm on the freezing side when it gets cold. Maybe only you understand the meaning of "Frostködel"
Thanks
Windward

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24