Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Frank Lloyd Wright pork pie hat?

Jerryinpa

New in Town
I want to buy a pork pie hat like the one commonly worn by Architect Frank Lloyd Wright. It was a pork pie style, but it had an unusually large brim. It also appears to my untrained eye to have a slightly higher crown than the typical porkpie, but I'm not sure. It appears to be felt, and a light color...

Google "Photograph of Frank Lloyd Wright" and pictures of him in his favorite hat abound. He wears it in so many photographs that I wonder if he only had one hat!?!? LOL.

I am becoming a tour guide at a local Frank Lloyd Wright designed Usonian home, and as they say "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"!

Does anybody have an idea where I might buy this hat?

Thanks in advance,

JerryinPA

Eric P

Familiar Face
Dinerman has one here that is close to what you are looking for... http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?28705-Show-off-your-Porkpies/page12
IMG_4118.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
It's kind of a funky hat...I spotted vent holes in some pictures. The brim has a nice roll which I don't think you'll find in an off the rack hat. Try the Akubra Pastorialist.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Optimo has a Frank Lloyd Wright. It costs $1500.00, and it includes a special box, a one yeat suscription to the FLW foundation, or something like that, and it comes with the vents. It has its own FLW heirloom felt color. The hat is supposed to be identical to FLW's.
I wasn't interested in the subscription, the box, the vents, or in paying 1500 dollars, so I ordered an exact copy in Classic Weight Bison for $750.00
https://www.optimohats.com

hectorprotector

New in Town
It's kind of a funky hat...I spotted vent holes in some pictures. The brim has a nice roll which I don't think you'll find in an off the rack hat. Try the Akubra Pastorialist.

Thank you jlee562 for directing me to the Akubra Pastoralist. I was able to snag one without chasing to Australia. My wife thinks it makes me look somewhat less ridiculous than a Wright pork pie. Of course, that’s all in the eye of the beholder.
6AFB0A4A-BCF9-4F3D-91FC-BB6D13BFCFE3.jpeg
6AFB0A4A-BCF9-4F3D-91FC-BB6D13BFCFE3.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner