Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freewheelers leather jackets

58panheadfan

One Too Many
La Brea
084F6855-1D3C-44A3-99BD-786A26210ACF.jpeg
622ED0F7-6FF6-4751-B928-B97866D9E7CD.jpeg

58panheadfan

One Too Many
The Brakeman looks really good on you.

What’s the size and measurements on it?
Thank you!

Tagged as a size 40"
At the pic I'm 176 lbs (80 kg) with a 40" (102 cm) chest by 5'11"
It's on the trimmer side but still wearable with a sweather underneath.

Measurements are (laid flat, buttoned up):
P2P: 22" (56 cm)
Shoulder seam to seam: 18.9" (48 cm)
Sleeves straight: 24" (61 cm)
Back length, neck seam to bottom: 26.35" (67 cm)

*Side note: If you were to ask me which jacket I would keep, if I could only keep one, it's the Brakeman :)

Last edited:

tuanhng614

Familiar Face
The Brakeman seems to be a more versatile jacket that you can grab on most occasion, especially when you have a long shirt that you don’t want to tuck it in.

And since it’s being categorized as a car coat, does it fit on you a bit looser than other jackets such as the La Brea?

I'm keeping my eye on one on Grailed but not sure about the measurements and how it SHOULD fit on the body.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
The Brakeman seems to be a more versatile jacket that you can grab on most occasion, especially when you have a long shirt that you don’t want to tuck it in.
Absolutely, it's a very versatile jacket and not as long as other carcoats.

And since it’s being categorized as a car coat, does it fit on you a bit looser than other jackets such as the La Brea?
Yes it feels a bit wider than the La Brea but still on the narrower side for a car coat. The Brakeman and the La Brea are two different pairs of shoes. The La Brea feels like a second skin, absolutely perfect. Visually, when I wear the La Brea open, it looks wider at the bottom than it actually is, that's because of the belt. A good thing for a motorcycle jacket but annoying for an everyday jacket.

I'm keeping my eye on one on Grailed but not sure about the measurements and how it SHOULD fit on the body.
Indeed my brakeman looks very nice from optical view, but for a Carcoat, as I said, it is actually on the narrower side and corresponds to the current narrower, more modern trend/look. I recently tried on a size 42", the jacket had more wiggle room in this size but felt like it had too much material on the front. But that's a personal preference. Also the "A" shape of the Jacket isn't everyone's cup of tea.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
What I really like about the FW jackets is the fact that they haven't reinvented the wheel and like many manufacturers copy originals but with their own interpretation. You can see a FW leather jacket from far away.

At the moment there is also a certain hype for original jackets. Original is original no question. However, I never jumped on that train (with two exceptions, which I no longer own today) for two reasons: Firstly, I don't want a jacket that has already been worn, I prefer to break in my jackets myself, secondly, if original then NOS but that is practically unavailable. But I have to say there are some forum members who have really nice originals. If your body size fits into an original jacket, perfect and there are always originals on the market for reasonable prices and ultimately if it shouldn't be a pearl, it's also a much cheaper way than following the top manufacturers nowadays

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Widen your search to Bootleggers (Brand name). They were Freewheelers before they became Freewheelers. Same cool stuff. The Switchyard coat was always my favorite. I think they nailed that design.

jchance

One of the Regulars
I am considering getting a sunset. In your experience, did you need to size up on your sunset? I read about weird sizing with the centinela deerskin and wonder if the sunset in deerskin has the same issues. It's like buying a double-breasted suit online--so hard to guestimate based on the measurements without in person fitting. FWIW, I'm a US37, 31 waist, 5'9 height, 155 lbs.

@dudewuttheheck @willyto

Last edited:

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love the leather used on the Brakeman but looking at it gives me anxiety because I always fear that tiny shoulder seam is going to tear off.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I heard from one forum member that he sold his because it was stiff and unpleasant to wear. Many pics suggest otherwise. Perhaps different iterations. Can anyone comment on the comfort of the pattern?

kellohenkka

New in Town
So, the new stock San Mateo and Mulholland are up for sale on japanese websites for 440 000 - 475 000 yen. Suppose there goes my dream of getting the Mulholland. Quite a hefty price hike from 250 000 - 275 000, but it seems Speedway is already sold out so...
:eek:

Edit: Come to think of it, yen is about 25 % cheaper than 5 years ago and about 37,5 % price hike considering inflation is not that out of line. Maybe there is hope yet!

Brandrea33

One Too Many
So, the new stock San Mateo and Mulholland are up for sale on japanese websites for 440 000 - 475 000 yen. Suppose there goes my dream of getting the Mulholland. Quite a hefty price hike from 250 000 - 275 000, but it seems Speedway is already sold out so...
:eek:

Edit: Come to think of it, yen is about 25 % cheaper than 5 years ago and about 37,5 % price hike considering inflation is not that out of line. Maybe there is hope yet!
I was told by a shop here in Toronto that The Real Mccoys J24 will be going from $3100 to $4300 CAD in the fall.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see similar price increases from other makers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner