Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freewheeler's Neal Cassay Brakeman coat

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Thanks, Sloan.

Yes, have had my eye on the Himels for a while but they're among the most expensive jackets out there.

The only think I don't like about them is the lining showing on the collar. Would want all leather collar. Clean lines! People often seem to get this wrong.

Last edited:

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, have had my eye on the Himels for a while but they're among the process jackets out there.

The only think I don't like about them is the lining showing on the collar. Would want all leather collar. Clean lines! People often seem to get this wrong.

Himel will make the Canuck with all leather collars -- both of my Canucks have all leather collars.

Superfluous

Auto-correct did something strange there. I meant most expensive jacked… Worth the $2,500, do you think?

"Worth" is an entirely subjective determination. At the prices we are discussing, we have long passed the point of diminishing returns. Therefore, I will not endeavor to justify a $2,500 expenditure for a Himel Canuck, or any other jacket. All I will say is that it was/is "worth it" to me, based on my particular preferences, my preference for Shinki HH, my appreciation for bench made products by individual craftsmen who are passionate about their craft, and my immense respect for Dave Himel.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
"Worth" is an entirely subjective determination. At the prices we are discussing, we have long passed the point of diminishing returns. Therefore, I will not endeavor to justify a $2,500 expenditure for a Himel Canuck, or any other jacket. All I will say is that it was/is "worth it" to me, based on my particular preferences, my preference for Shinki HH, my appreciation for bench made products by individual craftsmen who are passionate about their craft, and my immense respect for Dave Himel.

A good response (and thanks for it)!

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
An update: contacted Freewheelers and sadly they are completely out of stock, although they made vague mention of another round of production. Hard to tell whether any of the other dealers listing the jackets actually have them.

Blackadder

Rakuten reliable? Wouldn't want that much cash to disappear.
Have bought numerous items on Rakuten and never had a major problem. Rakuten is online marketplace for actual shops in Japan selling various goods. Minor problems I encountered are they have ran out of stock and have to cancel my order, forgot to give tax refund. Usually one don't get charged until they ship out your goods and an email or two will solve the tax refund problem. My suggestion is to contact the shop through Rakuten and ask them if they have the item in stock before making the purchase.

As for the wrong measurements, sadly they do not usually accept return and because the Freewheelers are cut for Japanese, the sizing is gonna be a bit different from not just tighter fitting but also a rounder body cut with narrower shoulder, higher armhole, narrower sleeves etc.
According to McFly on Rakuten
Size 40 Shoulder 47.5cm Pit to pit 55.0cm length 70.5cm Sleeve length 65.0cm
And Porkys is the one with the size 40
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/...al.rakuten.com/en/store/porkys/item/10002023/
Porky's does ship overseas but may not offer Japanese sales tax exemption.

Last edited:

Superfluous

^^ WTF is a cm? :p

thumb_centimeter.jpg

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Update: have discovered a Brakeman in what looks like my size. Sorely tempted – there can't be many left.

Normally take a 40 in Aero, Eastman etc. Can anyone suggest what I should shoot for in Japanese sizes?

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Update: have discovered a Brakeman in what looks like my size. Sorely tempted – there can't be many left.

Normally take a 40 in Aero, Eastman etc. Can anyone suggest what I should shoot for in Japanese sizes?

You should probably trust the measurements rather than worry about the listed size. I'm a 40, but wear a 38 in an Aero LHB. I do have a Japanese leather jacket in a size 40 and it fits perfectly. I agree that the armholes are higher and the sleeves are slimmer, but the shoulders are the same as my American leather jackets.

I picked up a Japanese Type II Jean Jacket a few weeks ago. Size 40 and it has the same high armholes and slim sleeves. I'm trim, not skinny, but I don't have bodybuilder arms and I love the Japanese cut on jackets.

BTW - have you considered an Aero 1920's Work Coat in the Vincenza leather? It isn't an exact copy, but pretty nice and substantially cheaper. Not sure if the cut on the Work Coat is trim - with it being a work coat, I would imagine it's a bit on the baggy side.

Superfluous

Read the dimensions for the Brakeman. There is no easy/direct translation to Aero sizing.

if you're really confused, ask the guys over at Denimbro. There is a Freewheelers thread in Brands. They know everything about these and other Freewheelers garments.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
You should probably trust the measurements rather than worry about the listed size. I'm a 40, but wear a 38 in an Aero LHB. I do have a Japanese leather jacket in a size 40 and it fits perfectly. I agree that the armholes are higher and the sleeves are slimmer, but the shoulders are the same as my American leather jackets.

I picked up a Japanese Type II Jean Jacket a few weeks ago. Size 40 and it has the same high armholes and slim sleeves. I'm trim, not skinny, but I don't have bodybuilder arms and I love the Japanese cut on jackets.

BTW - have you considered an Aero 1920's Work Coat in the Vincenza leather? It isn't an exact copy, but pretty nice and substantially cheaper. Not sure if the cut on the Work Coat is trim - with it being a work coat, I would imagine it's a bit on the baggy side.

Grayland, we've been discussing the very thing: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/lets-talk-the-aero-1920s-work-coat.84612/. The Aero work coat is decidedly a trim cut, it seems. I am intrigued about the price difference and what, if anything, justifies it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24