Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freewheelers Sunset Deerskin Jacket

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
That looks very normal, just wear it like that for awhile until the new creases set in, but do you need to button and unbutton them evertime you put it on and off, or unable to check your watch?
Other than horsehide there won’t be any real creasing/wrinkling of the Deerskin as the hide is totally different and much softer

willyto

One Too Many
Good points @dannyk and @willyto . I also found helpful solution.

I decided to use the smaller cuff buttons on this and my Caboose jacket. While not a perfect solution, I do think this looks by far the best out of the first three options. I will stick with this while deciding on whether or not to shorten the sleeves, but I like the stacking in the arms that this forces.

WY7wnHU.jpg

l92nggX.jpg

rVGZeMI.jpg

Bonus rock skipping shot:
MPMiPzB.jpg
What?! I thought you were already using them. Then there's no need to talk more about that. Those buttons are there for a reason, not just as an aesthetic detail. It looks perfectly fine.

I use them all the time on my Himel for a narrower sleeve cuff.

Other than horsehide there won’t be any real creasing/wrinkling of the Deerskin as the hide is totally different and much softer

Well I'm not so sure about that, here is a size 42 sunset from japan:

MUUvjeK.jpg

bgTB6qz.jpg

2xeIXan.jpg

aqDKuA0.jpg

It certainly takes creases and Wrinkling. Not as extreme as Shinki maybe but if he uses the smallest cuff button it will eventually crease and keep the shape.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
That looks very normal, just wear it like that for awhile until the new creases set in, but do you need to button and unbutton them evertime you put it on and off, or unable to check your watch?
Thanks I think it looks pretty normal as well. No, fortunately I do not need to do that. It was a little difficult to take the jacket off the first couple of times, but now it is fairly easy.

Deerskin seems like a nice leather, is it a naked/aniline finish?
It is beautiful indeed. I am not entirely sure, but I would guess the answer is yes. I know it is vegetable tanned, but I think this is an actual color and not a naked or completely natural finish. Also, I am not entirely sure, but I believe this might be Shinki deerskin. At the very least, I know it is Japanese in origin.

What?! I thought you were already using them. Then there's no need to talk more about that. Those buttons are there for a reason, not just as an aesthetic detail. It looks perfectly fine.

MUUvjeK.jpg

bgTB6qz.jpg

2xeIXan.jpg

aqDKuA0.jpg

It certainly takes creases and Wrinkling. Not as extreme as Shinki maybe but if he uses the smallest cuff button it will eventually crease and keep the shape.

Thanks! Yeah, I should have thought of that earlier. These are incredible pictures. Thank you for sharing. It definitely doesn't crease like horsehide (this deerskin might actually be from Shinki), but that aging and creasing is still absolutely stunning. I can't wait for mine to get like that.

MUUvjeK.jpg

bgTB6qz.jpg

2xeIXan.jpg

aqDKuA0.jpg

That chap pictured needs to fix everything he's wearing under the jacket. I mean I know I wear a lot of athletic shirts and all but that looks to be a tunic top under that jacket.

Poul

Familiar Face
great looking fit apart for the sleeve, if you plan to permanently cuff it exposing the liner as the most worn area of jacket I don't think it would last, why not cuffing a bit lower maybe at the sewing line of the cuff, so at least the folded part is still leather
I totally agree first the propotion is spot on espacially shoulder area this jacket build some nice patina over time.... wearing good health

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
That chap pictured needs to fix everything he's wearing under the jacket. I mean I know I wear a lot of athletic shirts and all but that looks to be a tunic top under that jacket.
He seems to be trying to hide his belt under that untucked underwear 'cause the jacket is slightly too short on him (at least with those jeans).
Though if the jacket would be a size bigger to have enough length - it would have been too long in sleeves for him probably.

Last edited:

leather.be

One of the Regulars
Ill go against the grain here and come out in support of the cuffed sleeves. It's a cross-zip in yellow deerskin--it's playful by nature and flipping the cuffs just adds to it. I also fully disagree with the notion that the cuffs detract from the silhouette. Deerskin, especially when thick, has that distinct visual volume to it and the cuffs show that off. You also cuff almost every pair of pants you own (I do too) and I think there's can be a fun balance in the fully cuffed look if you lean into it. Obviously you can do whatever you want with your jacket but I personally think the worst option is to think about it too much. You have a number of impeccably built custom jackets and thematically its kinda fitting that your first cross-zip makes you step away from total perfection
I missed the boat on this thread but just had to come out in support of this philosophy. Thinking a lot about what we wear while we wear it makes us look rigid and takes away from our personalities. Unless it's in your personality to be a bit (or a lot) neurotic...like me ;) For this reason I don't like to admire stitch work. My trusted brands do good-great stitch work which is part of why I trust them in the first place and so then I can forget about the stitching. In short when something is done right (aka your outfit is on point) you can just let go of it and be yourself wholeheartedly. Only then will you attain harmony between your outfit and being unless you don't care about aesthetic much. Then none of this really matters in which case you don't have the burden of having to strive for outfit perfection even though you still should. We can perfect the process but not the outcome.

leather.be

One of the Regulars
Good points @dannyk and @willyto . I also found helpful solution.

I decided to use the smaller cuff buttons on this and my Caboose jacket. While not a perfect solution, I do think this looks by far the best out of the first three options. I will stick with this while deciding on whether or not to shorten the sleeves, but I like the stacking in the arms that this forces.

Bonus rock skipping shot:
MPMiPzB.jpg
This answers a potentially deal breaking question I had about buying a barely used Sunset...How will the back look while skipping stones. You know I think it looks pretty epic! The vagina jokes will be a thing but if anything that might just make the jacket a little more fun and interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21