French Hats and makers.

Discussion in 'Hats' started by BellyTank, Feb 21, 2009.

1. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Totally outstanding 65!!
    B

2. Garrett

Garrett My Mail is Forwarded Here

Last I talked with the seller (back in June) he mentioned the size is 56cm and the sweatband is intact but scuffed heavily on one side.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  3. alanfgag

alanfgag

That's a fabulous find. Labels behind the sweatband would be great to see.

4. Héctor Fernández

Héctor Fernández One Too Many

Lovely! Enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5. 65 Classic

65 Classic Practically Family

I'll get a pic of the label.

6. 65 Classic

20191118_233935.jpg 20191118_233955.jpg 20191118_234009.jpg 20191118_234018.jpg 20191118_234030.jpg 20191118_235113.jpg 20191118_235043.jpg 20191118_234939.jpg 20191118_234132.jpg Here's a Mossant. I like this hat plenty. Might it be 30s?

7. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

65 Classic likes this.
  8. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

My Mossant has the ribbon adjustment woven through the leather sweat to adjust the size. I was told it was a feature of the that era of Mossant.

9. 65 Classic

This one has the ribbon woven through the leather as well. I never thought of trying to adjust the size using the ribbon.

10. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I don't use the one in my Mossant either. The hat fits so I left well enough alone. I would add more to my collection but they don't show up very often. I picked up mine in a vintage shop in Durango CO. It had many years of shelf dust and crud collected but with a naptha bath it cleaned up really well and now the felt sparkles.

11. moehawk

moehawk I'll Lock Up

Hey all!
    This one was a happy mistake and an unexpected treat. I had bought a Mossant that looked 50's from an Etsy seller in France. Listed as simply "Mossant shape hat" it was in a (beat up) box, marked as 60% off, AND free shipping!

Ten days later... (read in the voice of the French sounding narrator on Spongebob)

A box shows up on my doorstep way too small to be a hat in a hatbox. Inside is the other man's hat on her Etsy store, that was described as "Plassard shape hat". Now, I fon't NEED another black Homburg, as I have two perfectly good ones, a '28 Dobbs and a 50's Tirard that Fruno made me buy. I briefly thought about returning it until I pulled it out of the box and had a better look and feel of it. No way it was going back! I contacted the seller to let her know what happened, then bought the Mossant again. Can' t wait to get it...
    Here's some pics of the Plassard shape hat. Poor quality due to indoor lighting. Raining too hard too take pics in natural light.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The insides

[​IMG]

Tags and stamps

[​IMG][​IMG]

I had wondered if Plasard was the manufacturer or retailer. I got my answer here.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Marked a 5/57, it fits my 5 1/2/58 head just a litle snug.
    There is also this little pin on the sweatband. Looks kind of like a crown to me. Odd placement, in front at the temple i didn't want to damage the leather by removing it.

[​IMG]

The crown is 5 1/2" open, brim is 2 1/4" 135g. The felt is fantastic, super soft to the touch with no moth predation that I can see. Morreton certainly knew how to make a fine hat. I'm guessing by the fabric reed tape that it is late 40's to early 50's. Any opinions confirming or refuting this are welcome.

Head shot

[​IMG]

Now I'll be searching for more Morreton... *sigh* It never ends...