Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Hats and makers.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Excellent hats, sir. Panos will be proud!

Also discovered by and reserved for Panos:
A. Berteil - St. Germain black fedora with original hat box
with the open crown at 13 cm and the raw edge brim at 5 cm.
The fur felt is relatively thick but as Daniele said some time ago:
very soft in touch "and with a peachy surface".
The hat box is interesting because apparently another big name
of the French hat industry was once stored in it as well.

41384116gm.jpg

41384115tz.jpg

41384114ps.jpg

41384113zd.jpg

41384112im.jpg

41384110om.jpg

41384109uh.jpg

41384108ih.jpg

41384107dm.jpg

41384106ed.jpg

41384104ej.jpg

41384105nd.jpg

41384101zl.jpg

41384103uj.jpg

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
Again a new French beauty:
Thibet "LUXE" bowler/derby respectively chapeau melon
The only label inside is an embroidered fabric label "BURGUNDER Romain".
Sold at Caésar Wolfram - successor J. Laforgue in Thann/France.
So far I have found nothing about the hat manufacturer/seller.
Great wool felt - Super overall condition - Nice proportions.
The best thing is the unusual and fantastic lining.
My dating idea would be 40s - a feeling based on the lining.
Original size tag: 60 cm / 6 1/2 Punti / 7 3/8 English size.
Is more like a 59 and with cork strips it fits me.

41529864fm.jpg

41529863cb.jpg

41529860st.jpg

41529858kn.jpg

41529857kt.jpg

41529856da.jpg

41529855dd.jpg

41529853sb.jpg

41529851rk.jpg

41564641sa.jpg

Again a new French beauty:
Thibet "LUXE" bowler/derby respectively chapeau melon
The only label inside is an embroidered fabric label "BURGUNDER Romain".
Sold at Caésar Wolfram - successor J. Laforgue in Thann/France.
So far I have found nothing about the hat manufacturer/seller.
Great wool felt - Super overall condition - Nice proportions.
The best thing is the unusual and fantastic lining.
My dating idea would be 40s - a feeling based on the lining.
Original size tag: 60 cm / 6 1/2 Punti / 7 3/8 English size.
Is more like a 59 and with cork strips it fits me.

41529864fm.jpg

41529863cb.jpg

41529860st.jpg

41529858kn.jpg

41529857kt.jpg

41529856da.jpg

41529855dd.jpg

41529853sb.jpg

41529851rk.jpg

41564641sa.jpg
That is certainly a beauty, Matt, Congrats! Really like that liner.

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
Ha! Right? Forgot that part, Stefan. I dig the hat! Pleasantly surprised and pleasantly informed as it's interesting to me how so "much" felt can weigh so little. Sweat is very um ... utilitarian: basically a nice piece of leather attached very capably but without the glory I associate with fine hats. Not crazy about ribbon but who am I to doubt the style of the French? I do love hat's proportions and it feels great on my head. It might even stick around my house for awhile, we shall see.

Ha! Right? Forgot that part, Stefan. I dig the hat! Pleasantly surprised and pleasantly informed as it's interesting to me how so "much" felt can weigh so little. Sweat is very um ... utilitarian: basically a nice piece of leather attached very capably but without the glory I associate with fine hats. Not crazy about ribbon but who am I to doubt the style of the French? I do love hat's proportions and it feels great on my head. It might even stick around my house for awhile, we shall see.
Thanks for that. More or less as expected: felt is very nice, but ribbons and sweats are usually ho-hum affairs. There are better French hatters, but those weren't located on Place Vendôme in Paris. For those not in the know: it's very much in the upscale part of Paris. To be fair though: Gelot was one of the few French hatters who did wide brimmed hats on a regular basis, likely as a service to its many foreign customers.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
In my research, from time to time, I also have luck, or rather perseverance
Nero Flechet 1.jpg

This magnificent Flechet has had a troubled life. Purchased, the seller has disappeared for two weeks, then the bank details have arrived for payment. After the expedition, the hat was lost in Europe and then returned to its base in France. Sent back, he disappeared again and at my request for information I was told that my address was incomplete. After the verification of the mendacity of the statement I moved the European post without having any feedback. I lost a great hato_O it was my weightlifter. Then my children phoned me about a package that arrived with countless stickers and read the sender, with extreme difficulty, I calmed down
Nero Flechet 3.jpg
Flechet in black velour size 5 French (57 centimeters) or 7 in the United States.
Nero Flechet 6 bis.jpg

This is the third Flechet velour I find this year. The difference with its "brothers" is the texture and weight of the felt. the previous two were light and the surface very soft, this is much denser and heavier with a more evident "hair"
The paper label says it's quality is "President" and there is another stamp inside the sweatband I forget to copy
Nero Flechet pelo etichetta carta.jpg
Nero Flechet pelo taglia.jpg
Probably, looking closely at the lining, it can be deduced that from the aforementioned awards this is older than its brothers I had in the previous months
Nero Flechet pelo interno totale.jpg

The sun allowed me to highlight the velour finish of the felt, but for those who are curious here is also the diffused light version
Nero Flechet 4g.jpg

The dimensions of the Flechet, probably made in the late 1920s, first 1930s are as follows: brim 6cm, the ribbon is 5cm and the crown at its lowest point is 10.5cm
Nero Flechet 2.jpg

A hat arrived in perfect condition like the other centenarians found in this "miraculous catch"
Here the photographic set "en plein air" at the base of the wisteria in a hot summer afternoon
Nero Flechet set fotografico.jpg

Attachments

• Nero Flechet 1.jpg
    Nero Flechet 1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 150
In my research, from time to time, I also have luck, or rather perseverance
View attachment 348680
This magnificent Flechet has had a troubled life. Purchased, the seller has disappeared for two weeks, then the bank details have arrived for payment. After the expedition, the hat was lost in Europe and then returned to its base in France. Sent back, he disappeared again and at my request for information I was told that my address was incomplete. After the verification of the mendacity of the statement I moved the European post without having any feedback. I lost a great hato_O it was my weightlifter. Then my children phoned me about a package that arrived with countless stickers and read the sender, with extreme difficulty, I calmed down
View attachment 348684 Flechet in black velour size 5 French (57 centimeters) or 7 in the United States.
View attachment 348689
This is the third Flechet velour I find this year. The difference with its "brothers" is the texture and weight of the felt. the previous two were light and the surface very soft, this is much denser and heavier with a more evident "hair"
The paper label says it's quality is "President" and there is another stamp inside the sweatband I forget to copy
View attachment 348691
View attachment 348699
Probably, looking closely at the lining, it can be deduced that from the aforementioned awards this is older than its brothers I had in the previous months
View attachment 348703
The sun allowed me to highlight the velour finish of the felt, but for those who are curious here is also the diffused light version
View attachment 348709
The dimensions of the Flechet, probably made in the late 1920s, first 1930s are as follows: brim 6cm, the ribbon is 5cm and the crown at its lowest point is 10.5cm
View attachment 348721
A hat arrived in perfect condition like the other centenarians found in this "miraculous catch"
Here the photographic set "en plein air" at the base of the wisteria in a hot summer afternoon
View attachment 348725
Daniele, Super find! I am really happy your perseverance paid off! The Velour looks fantastic and as you mentioned in perfect condition. Also great overall form!

Not sure if this one belongs here. It could be English made originally. Unfortunately no labels. View attachment 349664 View attachment 349665 View attachment 349666 View attachment 349667 View attachment 349668 View attachment 349669 View attachment 349670 View attachment 349671
The finish is quite coarse and the content feels mostly wool. The bow and wind cord made me pull the trigger on this one
Panos, Super find! I think it's from the Continent and probably French. Use of cm and French Point sizing. Also the Form, Felt + Finish and Components.

Not sure if this one belongs here. It could be English made originally. Unfortunately no labels. View attachment 349664 View attachment 349665 View attachment 349666 View attachment 349667 View attachment 349668 View attachment 349669 View attachment 349670 View attachment 349671
The finish is quite coarse and the content feels mostly wool. The bow and wind cord made me pull the trigger on this one
How did I miss this one? Fantastic find, Panos. Flechet used those size labels inside their (early) hats. Here's an example from a Flechet Foulard hat:
flechet foulard_13.jpg

Tonio

A-List Customer

Hi Max,

Great looking hat! I did a little digging and it appears that D’Arsac was an artist / designer of high end neckties.

EDFCE0DD-69C5-4289-AE80-18BE3CCE4131.jpeg

DBC94374-CD45-4FE2-A24A-DE9A443CCF11.jpeg
B6F3CB99-0D53-4513-8DFF-CFA08A490BAA.jpeg
21AAD0C0-E8F5-4C92-A566-A476EFBF9AD3.jpeg

This was posted by @carouselvic https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/hat-life-western-issue-march-1956.61748/
F2882AC9-E564-4E8D-936E-2BA618617C9B.jpeg

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Despite the outsized heat, summer also brings some gems
fa-7-jpg.356720

French hat branded FA size 5 1/2 or 7 1/8 probably made in the 1920s.
fa-4-jpg.356721

Difficult to find a hat of this shape and finish among those I have in my collection or seen passing by friends and FL fans.
fa-2-jpg.356722
First of all it has a very high ribbon, 5 cm. pleated, second has the brims (6.5 cm) edged with black ribbon and very inflexible by today's standards, which means that they were in position as you can see. Maybe a little more well arranged, but time has made some changes.
fa-1-jpg.356723

The shape is that of the hats of that period and I have not made the pinches in the crown which is 12 centimeters high at its lowest point. Felt is fantastic for its softness and surface finish.
fa-interno-completo-jpg.356724
Completely unlined, it bears the FA mark and no other indications, also because there are no paper labels under the sweatband

The brand seems to me at first sight unknown among the ones I have seen, but I will try more in depth

fa-taglia-jpg.356727

We see the size and Andrea's shop who sold it in Culan (a French commune of 805 inhabitants located in the Cher department in the Center-Val de Loire region).
fa-5-jpg.356728

This FA, let's call it that, is another of the summer sins considering that it is not my size, although it could almost be, but it is asking too much of such a beauty

Despite the outsized heat, summer also brings some gems
fa-7-jpg.356720

French hat branded FA size 5 1/2 or 7 1/8 probably made in the 1920s.
fa-4-jpg.356721

Difficult to find a hat of this shape and finish among those I have in my collection or seen passing by friends and FL fans.
fa-2-jpg.356722
First of all it has a very high ribbon, 5 cm. pleated, second has the brims (6.5 cm) edged with black ribbon and very inflexible by today's standards, which means that they were in position as you can see. Maybe a little more well arranged, but time has made some changes.
fa-1-jpg.356723

The shape is that of the hats of that period and I have not made the pinches in the crown which is 12 centimeters high at its lowest point. Felt is fantastic for its softness and surface finish.
fa-interno-completo-jpg.356724
Completely unlined, it bears the FA mark and no other indications, also because there are no paper labels under the sweatband

The brand seems to me at first sight unknown among the ones I have seen, but I will try more in depth

fa-taglia-jpg.356727

We see the size and Andrea's shop who sold it in Culan (a French commune of 805 inhabitants located in the Cher department in the Center-Val de Loire region).
fa-5-jpg.356728

This FA, let's call it that, is another of the summer sins considering that it is not my size, although it could almost be, but it is asking too much of such a beauty
Daniele, Great find! I really like the Form and wide Bow treatment. The condition is excellent too. Was it from a French source?

Steve thanks.
It arrives from France and I'm a little bit confused about the maker.
I think I have just see this brand, but I don't remember where and when
Maybe in the next days I will remember
Daniele, I think A.F. could be Antonin France Chazelles sur Lyon. This is same location as B. Fléchet Chazelles sur Lyon. I found an A.F. advertisement in a digital copy of Revue De La Chapellerie (1912) that I have.

51403063344_2957cc67a5_h.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner