Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friends who "suit up"...

Visconde

New in Town
Baron Kurtz said:
Why's that?

Even if it was really really cold and no overcoat in sight?

bk

It has been discused before and I don't think here is the right place to put this.

But, I just don't get the point in doing this. If you are wearing the jacket, you can't see the waistcoat because with DB you have button up. And I don't think you should take off the jacket on the occasion when you wear a DB suit.
Going from looking really sharp in a DB suit to wearing just the waistcoat for me is like switching from "kind of blue" to "dark side of the moon". Two of my favorite albums but listening to them requires a different mood.

This is just my opinion and don't think I judge any of you for doing this, I'm just not going to do it.

If the sole purpose of wearing a waistcoat would be for insulation I can understand, but this is kind of far-fetched.

sorry again Jovan for this off-topic

with kind regards,

Visconde

It's so that when you wear a DB suit to the office and take the jacket off you don't expose co-workers to the horrors of suspenders and shirt (i.e. underwear). Especially these days when shirts are see-through and flimsy enough to reveal nipples. And a Db closure doesn't necessarily hide the waistcoat completely.

off-topic ramblings (or rather: sort-of-on-topics) are fine here.

bk

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Baron Kurtz said:
It's so that when you wear a DB suit to the office and take the jacket off you don't expose co-workers to the horrors of suspenders and shirt (i.e. underwear). Especially these days when shirts are see-through and flimsy enough to reveal nipples. And a Db closure doesn't necessarily hide the waistcoat completely.

off-topic ramblings (or rather: sort-of-on-topics) are fine here.

bk

I agree completely. I wear a double breasted suit one or two days a week to the office. I always wear a vest with the suit for the reasons stated above. I never gave wearing a vest with the suit a second thought. After all, the purpose of the vest is not for "insulation".

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Baron Kurtz said:
But i find they do indeed offer that layer of insulation on a cold day, even though that's not a major function of the garment.

bk

I probabally should have said the purpose of the vest is not primarily for insulation.

Visconde

New in Town
I can understand what you mean, but I don't really think a DB suit is appropriate at the office, unless you are in a high position of some sorts. This would mean your employees wouldn't see you without the jacket on. And if they would, it wouldn't really matter: you are the boss.

All this said, I think different people have different views on this. It probably all depends on where you live or work. Nowadays not a lot of people care for this and you are very easily overdressed at a work situation. It's always embarrasing to be better dressed then your boss.

This being one of the many things I love about Italy, all business men are wearing suits of all kinds and not wearing a suit would be considered strange.

with kind regards,

Visconde

Jovan

Suspended
If I were to get such a suit made, I'd have side adjusters on the trousers so I wouldn't need to bother with braces. That's just me though, and I realise not everyone's body type can go without them.

Aesthetically speaking, you can always have a waistcoat made higher fastening so it shows. My friend posits that waistcoats should only sit an inch higher than the jacket buttoning. I think that's his loss if he thinks so limited -- high waistcoats simply look good and add an interesting contrast to the suit. They especially go well with bow ties from what I've seen. Here's a good example.

Indiana_Jones_2.jpg

ortega76

Practically Family
Bugsy said:
How sad for us all, but here in very casual things do get worse at times. I went to an afternoon wedding in a church with a sit-down dinner for about 150 afterwards. The brides and bridesmaids were in long gowns; the groom and groomsmen were in tuxedos. I wore a gray pinstripe three piece. I was over dressed since many of the other men were in jeans, shorts, Hawaiian shirts, AND, UGH, flip-flops. What has happened to a sense of occasion????

I must admit that I wear what many people on this board condemn- jeans (dark rinse denim) with dressier elements like ties and jackets. I find it allows me to fit-in a bit more in the casual surroundings of Central IL while still being a bit more dressed up than the guy at the next table in a Hawaiian shirt or untucked button-down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner