Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fringe jackets

Would you consider wearing one?

• Absolutely, they look awesome

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • They might look good on others but I wouldn't wear one myself

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • I wouldn't be caught dead wearing one

Votes: 15 41.7%

• Total voters

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I recently bought this 60s fringe motorcycle jacket because I think it looks awesome. I especially like how the fringe curves on the forearm. Combined with the D pocket and the studs it makes for a very cool jacket.

45A1B7C9-DAB8-4008-AA05-87076721629D.jpeg
90FD4153-DF6D-4F50-B89C-47C7AB492D59.jpeg
BB4C274A-E42E-4515-BB60-650FF601C9B0.jpeg
3F92A564-4A53-429B-A053-273C7AD2ACE8.jpeg

Yet the first time I wore the jacket when running some errands I felt somewhat self conscious. I've never felt self conscious wearing any leather jacket. Which made me think...

What is it about fringe jackets that makes them controversial? Is it the association with western movies, is it the association with infamous wearers, or is there some other reason fringe jackets aren't a very popular style?

I recently learned that the fringe actually serves a functional purpose, allowing the jacket to shed rain while drying faster when wet because the fringe acts as a series of wicks to disperse the water. That sounds like a very practical and useful feature so why don't all mc jackets have fringes?

A couple of days ago I started this poll on Instagram asking my followers whether they hate it or love it. To my surprise it ended in a tie. I wonder how TFL feels about fringe jackets. Any owners?

2AF3F57C-9498-4887-B2B8-56878B9B6C80.jpeg
AA6CF4F4-D51E-4C6F-8555-31CBAFDFEC1E.jpeg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I'm having a hard time believing this statement: "I recently learned that the fringe actually serves a functional purpose, allowing the jacket to shed rain while drying faster when wet because the fringe acts as a series of wicks to disperse the water. That sounds like a very practical and useful feature so why don't all mc jackets have fringes?"

I can see it making a difference if you are wearing an unfinished buckskin jacket where the entire hide soaks water, but with a jacket with a top coat it shouldn't make a difference.
If anything it might be worst as you are putting the unfinished side in a situation where it will soak up tons of water that might make it to the inside of the seams by capilarity.

I would want to see proper scientific testing before i went around repeating that fact as if it was true as to me it sounds like a myth...

Either way, i am not a fan, like you i think the way the fringes go around the wrist is very cool and creative, but i don't think i would wear it, it's too much for me. Not sure too much what, but it is too much.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Uncle google says that originally fringes were used on buckskin jackets to disperse water (so it must be true! ;). On chrome-tanned moto jackets they are probably merely a decoration. Following up on "fashion accessory" function of fringes, if you google "fringe jacket" and click on "image", 80% of images are women's jackets. Not sure if it means anything though.

Manolito

Familiar Face
I think fringes are mighty cool on a suede jacket, in the Dennis Hopper in "Easy Rider" tradition. it has a peaceful rebel attitude very unique. Not very wearable in everyday's life nowadays, unfortunately. Some vintage Schott ones can be found second handed at very reasonable prices in France (where I live)...

On a black motorcycle jacket, I'm not sure though...

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Some thirty years ago, we (the Slayer/Kreator guys) use to call the Bon Jovi guys, who used to wear these jackets, "posers". But it'd be the second time in less than 24 hours that you'll be called a "poser" so I say nothing! :)
Seriously, it looks much better in buckskin hide.
And no, I'd never wear that, but my 20-year old self would probably have said the same about any of my Alden's.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
But it'd be the second time in less than 24 hours that you'll be called a "poser" so I say nothing! :)
It would be the third time, actually. Lol.

"The definition of a poser is a person who pretends to be someone they are not, or a person who attempts to impress others."

I don't know, I'm just having a lot of fun trying as many different jackets styles as possible. If that makes me a poser, so be it :)

I’ve made this statement before and I think it holds true every single time fringed jackets are discussed. It’s not a style, not a design element, it’s a lifestyle, and if you don’t live it…it shows.
IMO the only guy that pulled off a fringed jacket (besides Davy Crockett) is Billy the kid:
58674B34-C8BE-45BD-8A1B-8331F2FEE5CF.jpeg

I’ve made this statement before and I think it holds true every single time fringed jackets are discussed. It’s not a style, not a design element, it’s a lifestyle, and if you don’t live it…it shows.
IMO the only guy that pulled off a fringed jacket (besides Davy Crockett) is Billy the kid:
View attachment 388737

I don't know, man, Billy the Kid was kind of too twitchy for a fringed jacket. Too paranoid. On the edge. Always struck me as someone who wanted to look the part more than play it. Always thought it's something Hanson would put on naturally, had he ever gotten the chance.

roadking04

Practically Family
Never liked fringe at all. I would never wear it. I have to agree with Carlos and Will Zach. I seriously doubt a little strip of fringe along the arms and upper back is going to keep anyone drier. I also agree with Will, I associate fringe with women's jackets. To me, it is more of a feminine feature. (just don't tell Steven Segal I said that, and if you do, I will say Monitor said it first.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk