Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fringe jackets

Would you consider wearing one?

• Absolutely, they look awesome

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • They might look good on others but I wouldn't wear one myself

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • I wouldn't be caught dead wearing one

Votes: 15 41.7%

• Total voters

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Never liked fringe at all. I would never wear it. I have to agree with Carlos and Will Zach. I seriously doubt a little strip of fringe along the arms and upper back is going to keep anyone drier. I also agree with Will, I associate fringe with women's jackets. To me, it is more of a feminine feature. (just don't tell Steven Segal I said that, and if you do, I will say Monitor said it first.)
don't worry man, you can def out jog him...

Edward

Bartender

That's basically the look I associate with fringing. That, and Doris Day in Calamity Jane. It was one of those things that was (much like ripped denim) supposed to be cool, but even in my metal years I never liked it. There's only one fringed jacket I've ever wanted:

tumblr_okp4xqHpfL1vje9sno2_500.jpg
514a468d3e9c2d1b8b1d35edc7149e1c.jpg

Noone knows for certain what it was, but most likely either a Lewis Plainsman or a Highwayman equivalent. Originally these jackets came with a line of shortish - 2"-2.5" or so - fringe across the chest and back yolks, and down the arms. Curry's only had it on the arms (presumably it was cut off round the yoke. This is a jacket I always wanted to repop properly, and never could quite afford to. Or, more to the point, never could quite justify: I have a lot of the correct badges and patches, but the mix of the fringing and the pin-badges and chains render it way more theatrical than something I'd ever have actually worn out of costume.

This minimal fringing, shorter in length, is not so bad to my eye, but overall fringing is something I'd never go for. I don't like tassels on penny loafers either, so I guess I'm at least consistent!

Edward

Bartender
There's a fringed plainsman listed on German Ebay

$_59.JPG

$_59.JPG

Very close to Curry's, though I *think* his didn't have the Lewis patch, and definitely didn't have the forearm zip. I'd love to know its original story. The jacket was first used on stage, afaik, in the Roxy production in LA (at least that's the earliest photos of Curry wearing it as Franknfurter), before later making it into the film. Fan legend has it that it was an original rocker jacket from the 60s that Curry had bought second hand, and was his own, personal jacket before he wore it on stage.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I never did watch Easy Rider or care about the water wicking properties (if any)...I just think the fringe looks cool. Not "daily driver" material, but something for when the right mood strikes. There's a certain western and rock and roll vibe that comes with it.
Do you still have yours?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I recently bought this 60s fringe motorcycle jacket because I think it looks awesome. I especially like how the fringe curves on the forearm. Combined with the D pocket and the studs it makes for a very cool jacket.

View attachment 388691 View attachment 388692 View attachment 388693 View attachment 388694

Yet the first time I wore the jacket when running some errands I felt somewhat self conscious. I've never felt self conscious wearing any leather jacket. Which made me think...

What is it about fringe jackets that makes them controversial? Is it the association with western movies, is it the association with infamous wearers, or is there some other reason fringe jackets aren't a very popular style?

I recently learned that the fringe actually serves a functional purpose, allowing the jacket to shed rain while drying faster when wet because the fringe acts as a series of wicks to disperse the water. That sounds like a very practical and useful feature so why don't all mc jackets have fringes?

A couple of days ago I started this poll on Instagram asking my followers whether they hate it or love it. To my surprise it ended in a tie. I wonder how TFL feels about fringe jackets. Any owners?

View attachment 388697 View attachment 388695

So I am late to this Fringe Party. Marc, I will say this - it looks good on you there, but this jacket and the feature that makes it so unique is simply one of the most polarizing aspects of clothing design that has ever been devised.

The 50/50% split says it all.

Personally I am a very firm "no" in this area. However, that's mostly due to not riding a motorcycle anymore. It does serve a purpose on the motorcycle -- making you much more visible. Since some specific brands of motorcycles only like black for thier leather (with plenty of skulls & grey and orange accents), the fringe was a simple, early way to draw attention. This is Good in the Era of the Distracted Driver in my view. Anything a Motorcyclist can do to be seen - by drivers more concerned with their texting habits than actually paying attention to those around them on the roads - is a plus.

Outside of that, for casual wear, I could not do it. I would be really curious to see how many folks even notice it on your jacket, while wearing it around casually. Do people even notice? Wearing this to your professional office might be a real hoot! Put on a Santa hat for the season and give it a try. Maybe it would bring smiles to some people's faces. :)

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I believe when riding motorcycle then the wind curls the fringes, probably making sounds as well , it gives you aura like horse mane, like bird of prey, it looks cool..
but then never stop moving.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
would be really curious to see how many folks even notice it on your jacket, while wearing it around casually. Do people even notice?

I've worn the jacket three or four times now and I think I have to conclude that no one payed any attention to my jacket at all. I guess here in Amsterdam people see weirder stuff happening on the streets lol.

Personally, I think I look cool when wearing the jacket over a white t-shirt and a pair of jeans. Topping it off with Wayfarer sunglasses and I'll have the perfect 80s look.

Ingramite

One of the Regulars
I've worn a buckskin fringe jacket since the 70's.

It has barrel sleeves and a collar that's open at the top with three snaps up the front.

At first glance it is a poor motorcycle jacket. Adding snaps to the collar tips and lapels was the first step in taming down all the face slapping at 70mph.

You simply can't seal out the wind blast so instead you learn to embrace it. The wind blows up the sleeves when my arms are up on the handlebars. The wind billows the body from the open collar. The end result is a jacket that really flows a lot of air, nice in the Summer.

In the Winter I wear this buckskin over a Schott 141 that's black.

I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.

As mentioned, it's not a look for everybody. It's old leather on an old guy who rides an old Harley. Long grey hair and a long grey beard.

It used to be called "class" in the motorcycle world but like an aged fringe jacket, it's something you don't run across much today.

Then there's these railroad engineers caps. They are fitted, never snap backs. They were designed for guys that hung their heads out of a speeding locomotive. The hickory stripe classic has achieved relic status. No, you can't wear a helmet over one, and that's kind of the point.

Part of the traditional motorcycle culture was about thumbing your nose at convention. Pizzing off the squares.

I won't wear engineer boots though when I ride. I prefer elephant skin ropers with rubber soles. I think it was in the 90's when a lot of newborn wannabe bikers hit the set and they were all wearing black engineers boots.

I consider all of this gear to be motorcycle gear and I don't wear it unless I'm riding that day. Only hippies and bikers should dress like this in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points