Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS : '50s DUNLAP WESTLITE 7 ⅛ - Open Road style Fedora

One Drop

One of the Regulars
I'm selling this lovely vintage fedora for USD $250 + shipping cost, the same price I bought it for a few years ago, before I knew my real hat size. I never wore it except to try it on, it's been sitting lonely and unused in a Knox box it came in since then.

It's a true-to-size 7⅛ regular oval, the felt is very high quality, thin and easily hand shaped, the photos show a few different bashes I quickly shaped to give an idea of what it can look like with a crease or pinch, and open crown.

The brim snaps down if you want to wear it Fedora style, the crown will hold any crease without steaming. With a steaming I'm sure any mild visible creases can be smoothed out if you want a different crease.

The condition is close to mint, it shows little if any wear, and the colour is a classic nice light tan, not as grey as appears in the photos, except for the one of the sweatband with the Dunlap embossed logo, which is what it really looks like in daylight. The quality leather sweatband is supple and in like new condition, and the liner is clean and unstained.

This was the first OR type hat I've owned, since then I've picked up a few Borsalino Alessandrias and a Stetson 7X Clear Beaver in my correct size. The felt on this hat is not quite the quality of the Borsalinos or the Clear beaver Stetson, but is far higher than the current Stetson Open Roads and Stratoliners, and compares very favourably to other quality OR clones I've handled. I've seen very little information on this model Dunlap, and only one other Westlite on sale before, but I can attest to their comfort and wearability, it's a great lightweight OR option that would definitely have been a keeper had it fit me.

I'll calculate shipping based on your location, and charge the exact cost with or without the shown Knox box, which is probably from the same era as the hat.

IMG_3870.JPG
IMG_3869.JPG
IMG_3868.JPG
IMG_3866.JPG
IMG_3865.JPG
IMG_3864.JPG
IMG_3863.JPG
IMG_3876.JPG

IMG_3863.JPG
IMG_3864.JPG
IMG_3865.JPG
IMG_3866.JPG
IMG_3868.JPG
IMG_3869.JPG
IMG_3870.JPG
IMG_3876.JPG
IMG_3882.JPG
IMG_3883.JPG

Last edited:

One Drop

One of the Regulars
I was asked about the dimensions and true colour of this hat, they are as follows, and the attached photo gives a better idea of the tan shade in daylight :

The brim is 2 ¾ " (7cm), the crown when open is 5 ½" (14cm).

IMG_3888.JPG

Last edited:

One Drop

One of the Regulars
I'm loath to lower the price on this hat, as I know it will eventually find a buyer, but I've decided to open the sale up to reasonable offers - I'd rather someone wears this beautiful hat than it sitting in a box in my cupboard !

gilligan

One of the Regulars
I'm selling this lovely vintage fedora for USD $250 + shipping cost, the same price I bought it for a few years ago, before I knew my real hat size. I never wore it except to try it on, it's been sitting lonely and unused in a Knox box it came in since then.

It's a true-to-size 7⅛ regular oval, the felt is very high quality, thin and easily hand shaped, the photos show a few different bashes I quickly shaped to give an idea of what it can look like with a crease or pinch, and open crown.

The brim snaps down if you want to wear it Fedora style, the crown will hold any crease without steaming. With a steaming I'm sure any mild visible creases can be smoothed out if you want a different crease.

The condition is close to mint, it shows little if any wear, and the colour is a classic nice light tan, not as grey as appears in the photos, except for the one of the sweatband with the Dunlap embossed logo, which is what it really looks like in daylight. The quality leather sweatband is supple and in like new condition, and the liner is clean and unstained.

This was the first OR type hat I've owned, since then I've picked up a few Borsalino Alessandrias and a Stetson 7X Clear Beaver in my correct size. The felt on this hat is not quite the quality of the Borsalinos or the Clear beaver Stetson, but is far higher than the current Stetson Open Roads and Stratoliners, and compares very favourably to other quality OR clones I've handled. I've seen very little information on this model Dunlap, and only one other Westlite on sale before, but I can attest to their comfort and wearability, it's a great lightweight OR option that would definitely have been a keeper had it fit me.

I'll calculate shipping based on your location, and charge the exact cost with or without the shown Knox box, which is probably from the same era as the hat.

View attachment 536565 View attachment 536564 View attachment 536563 View attachment 536561 View attachment 536560 View attachment 536559 View attachment 536558 View attachment 536574
View attachment 536558 View attachment 536559 View attachment 536560 View attachment 536561 View attachment 536563 View attachment 536564 View attachment 536565 View attachment 536574 View attachment 536577 View attachment 536578
Absolutely a beautiful hat! Too bad I wear a 7 3/8. Very nice indeed.

One Drop

One of the Regulars
Dunlap made some beauties and you have a beauty in your possession.

Absolutely a beautiful hat! Too bad I wear a 7 3/8. Very nice indeed.

Thanks guys, I'd be wearing to myself if it was a size smaller!

For info the little dents showing when the crown is open can be easily steamed out, it never had a tight crease and is really in like new condition.

One Drop

One of the Regulars
I can't believe this hat hasn't found a head yet, it's a lovely OR clone and compares favourably to anything new out there anywhere near the price range, and to vintage examples being sold these days.

It looks great, is comfortable, and easily shaped dry or set with steam, and looks great with any style crease, the block shape is very versatile.

Make me an offer, all reasonable ones will be considered !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner